both ACs won’t work at same time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• both ACs won’t work at same time

Front AC kicks off after 2 or 3 minutes, 2020 momentum 25g breaker flips. Suspect AC circuits need 15 amp each, begs the question why only a 30 amp service to trailer. First time out. Frustrating

Originally posted by Carnerdm View Post
    Front AC kicks off after 2 or 3 minutes, 2020 momentum 25g breaker flips. Suspect AC circuits need 15 amp each, begs the question why only a 30 amp service to trailer. First time out. Frustrating
    When both are running they will probably work OK on a 30A service--if nothing else requiring 110vAC is on. (Refrigerator on propane, hot water heater on propane, etc.) The issue is the initial surge requirement due to the compressors. Their requirement can easily drive the load (for a very short time) greater than what the 30A service can provide.

If you want a few options to consider that will allow both air conditioners to run post again.

-Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I think that is unreasonable for GD to sell something that won’t work. Poorly engineered. What if I want to watch tv in the bedroom while the family Is in kitchen area and it’s 95 degrees in the desert?? They definitely don’t work together on the onan 4000!! Wow. Front AC kicks immediately

Comment

Looking at the floor plan and specifications on GD's site it does not come with a second A/C. Was your second A/C added by the dealer? All units that come from GD with 2 A/C's or the option for 2 have the 50 amp service. If your unit came from the factory with 2 A/C units and not a 50 amp service I would contact GD as this was built wrong.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Tell us about your Onan 4k generator......where installed and by whom as Onan does not make stand alone units ? In addition to the 25G not having 50 amp service to support 2 ACs as Brian referenced, the 25G does not have a generator std. or as an option. Suggest sharing your VIN so we can verify purchase/history/etc. Collective posts are raising flags with many of us I suspect, to say the least.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
            I looked up the 25G also and did not see an option for a second A/C unit.
            But if you look at pictures for units for sale you'll see them with second a/c units. What I don't understand is how the wiring is in place. Surely GD is not wiring the units for the A/C when the unit is spec'd to 30A?

GDRV-Emily -- can you add anything to this discussion?
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Triplethreat
              I looked up the 25G also and did not see an option for a second A/C unit.
              If you go to build and price, you can see an option for the 2nd A/C there.

That being said, the new Coleman's can run 2 on 30 amp. In fact, you can run 3 on the generator now, all 15k units. The 25G the 2nd option is a 13.5k unit.
              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

First line in dark blue:

Click image for larger version

Name:	25g.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	4110
                Attached Files
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Do you have the same result when plugged into a campground electrical pedestal? Have you verified by looking over the bedroom unit that its a 15K?

Comment

Hi everyone, thanks for the great info. I am reluctant to supply the VIN. I can assure you..2020.grand design 25G, Onan 4K, 2 ACs. Front AC Kicks 15 amp off within 5 minutes. No other AC requiring devices on in trailer during. On gen or shore 30amp. We had it out once and the 37 item (and growing)list of items that are not working or working properly is extremely frustrating. Grand Design and the dealer most likely will fumble thru the easy repairs and leave me the mess to deal with myself. The breaker is a 15amp. I have so many issues, I am going. To stop posting because I can’t keep up with alll the different threads. Signed......feeling dooped seeking Better business Bureau

Comment

It's kicking off the 15 amp breaker in the RV panel?

One of 2 things. Faulty unit. A rarity for the Coleman units, but poop happens. Or a weak breaker. Seen it plenty of times in electrical work. Again poop happens.

And to answer the other questions, yes 2 Coleman units WILL run on 30 amp service.
                      2020 Momentum 351M
                      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                        ...yes 2 Coleman units WILL run on 30 amp service.
                        True, but they will consume the lion's share of that 30 amp service. I just tested the two in my 315RLTS (both Colemans). I shut everything else off (turned off the circuit breakers) and the 15K was pulling 13A and so was the 13.5k in the bedroom. (It's hot in Ohio this afternoon!) The measurements are according to the Progressive display that shows me consumption on both L1 and L2 (since I have 50A service). If the OP is running anything else (refrigerator, water heater, coffee pot) I expect a 30A pedestal's breaker to open.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnerdm View Post
                          Grand Design and the dealer most likely will fumble thru the easy repairs and leave me the mess to deal with myself.
                          I disagree with your premise--Grand Design will work to make it right. Have you called GD's technical support? 574-825-9679 They will work with you to make it right, but will want the dealer to take the lead. What is your dealer's response to your list of issues?

Documenting your experience here is good for everyone. I hope you'll continue to do so.

Don't mistake my post for me being an apologist for Grand Design or coming across as a "fan boy"--they have plenty of areas to improve their product, but your experience (so far) with the number of issues is the exception, not the rule. The one thing I do know is they try very, very hard to make things right when stuff goes sideways.

Comment

Working...
                          X