Onan Generator Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onan Generator Oil

I'm wanting to get some oil to carry with me for the generator and wondering if other owners are using the OnaMax Oil as suggested by Cummins and if so where are you buying it from? In this link https://www.cummins.com/generators/m...-rv/onamax-oil, Cummins is saying that beginning in Q2 of 2020, they switched over to using OnaMax 10W-30 in all Onan gas powered generators vs SAE 30. Amazon only has one listing for the OnaMax10W-30 and it is $20/quart! I like using what the manufacturer suggests, but looking for suggestions for where to find it or what product others are using? Thanks.
    Dewayne & Laura
    2020 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4, DRW, B&W 25K Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
    2021 Momentum 376THS-R, Solar, Rockford Fosgate, Stackable W/D
    2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Moved to the Electrical Channel.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Oil discussions are always fun. SAE is SAE, multi-viscosity vs single viscosity just means it works better under different conditions. Here's the part where the oil engineers tell me I am full of poo, it's ok, I am. I also like synthetic oil over natural oil. But like you, if the folks that make the darn thing think one oil is better than others who am I to argue with the corporate engineers and marketing department.

Since it doesn't take much oil, and for me it's only changed annually, I would go ahead and spend the bucks for the recommended oil, but, if that was unavailable, I would have no qualms about using any other decent quality oil. That has been my oil philosophy for every engine I have owned. None have had oil related failures.
      2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
      2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
      E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
      Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

From the link in the original post,

“Use a premium, quality engine oil (such as OnaMax™ SAE10W-30 and SAE15W-40) in the correct oil viscosity for your generator’s typical operating temperature range“

It doesn’t say “must use” or “should use.”
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

You will want to be sure to use the recommended viscosity and grade of oil. Some oils are more suited to air cooled engines and may contain higher levels of zinc as an example.

Update: Found a link for $7.64/qt. for a diesel unit if this applies.

Onan 0326-5336 OnaMax Oil, 15W-40, 32 Oz (rvupgradestore.com)

OnaMax™ Oil | Cummins Inc.

Jim
          Last edited by Guest; 01-04-2021, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I did a Google search for Onan-Cummins Generator service and found a local authorized service provider that had the oil and filters at a much more realistic price. I have found it much easier if having to navigate warranty issues if one has remained with OE oil and filters rather than getting into a whizzing contest about aftermarket service items being up to snuff for OEM specs. IIRC the OEM was only a few dollars more than aftermarket.
            Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by ThePowells View Post
              I did a Google search for Onan-Cummins Generator service and found a local authorized service provider that had the oil and filters at a much more realistic price. I have found it much easier if having to navigate warranty issues if one has remained with OE oil and filters rather than getting into a whizzing contest about aftermarket service items being up to snuff for OEM specs. IIRC the OEM was only a few dollars more than aftermarket.
              Good suggestion. I'll try that also! Thanks.
              Dewayne & Laura
              2020 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4, DRW, B&W 25K Companion, Air Lift 7500XL
              2021 Momentum 376THS-R, Solar, Rockford Fosgate, Stackable W/D
              2012 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited

Comment

Working...
              X