Go Power GP-TS-30 transfer switch can turn off Converter automaticly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go Power GP-TS-30 transfer switch can turn off Converter automaticly

I was researching transfer switches yesterday wanting to learn more about the MultiPlus system and others. If I go with the MultiPlus it replaces the factory converter, so I would need to disable it. I have not looked yet to see if it is on its own breaker in my trailer. No matter which way I go on my upgrade path to the Battle Borns I want to keep the WFCO unit as a backup.

I know I have been asking a lot of questions recently and thanks to everyone for the help. You have pointed me to a lot of resources. One of those sources talked about inverters and the need to disable the converter when in use - this includes the MultiPlus or any other Inverter I am considering. The MultiPlus handles that internally automatically depending if shore power or other power is available

I ran across several U-tube videos on how to disable the converter if your running an inverter. Some with a bunch of add on others involve manual plugs on Converter power cord. Then I happened on a form post (forgot the brand) where they indicated the Go Power pre-wired 30 amp transfer switch had that built in. Its theGP-TS (30 AMP pre-wired Transfer Syitch). It actually has a cord to run the converter that powers it off when an inverter is in use. The less expensive GP-TS-30 (DIY wiring) https://gpelectric.com/products/30-amp-transfer-switch/ can do the same thing . In the manual https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...N_GP-TS-30.pdf on page 5 is the description. The diagram on page 6 is wrong for shore power being primary (I talked to GP tecks twice to understand). The converter is wired to the primary power source and when the inverter is turned on and the switch activates it opens the converter feed. The switch will not disable shore power if the inverter is turned on as shore power it is primary. It's use is to connect the inverter to the house panel. In the event that the inverter is accidentally turned on with shore power on nothing will happen as those contact will never close. It has something to do with how the coil is wired

Here is a you-tube vid that talks about it - however I am not sure the individual got everything correct and he was using the pre-wired unit. He also had an earlier video where he wired in a relay to do the same thing, but evidently it did not work out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iASOOzUCRto

Anyway I thought I would share the information I found as I know others out there want to just install and inverter without going to a MultiPlus system.

Now if something presented here is not correct, please let me know - but I have never been wrong before - correct????? NOT!

Thanks folks
    Keith

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    ... If I go with the MultiPlus it replaces the factory converter, so I would need to disable it. ...
    I'm sure others with more in-depth knowledge will weigh in, but here's my feedback:

The Multiplus is an inverter/charger with built-in Automatic Transfer Switch. When you have shore power, the ATS switches to CHARGE mode. When there's no shore power, the ATS switches to INVERT mode.

If you have it wired correctly, the ATS will sense whenever you have shore power and stop any inverting within milliseconds (~20 ms) of power being detected.

The factory WFCO converter can only convert when you have shore power -- and that's the only time the 12 volts it produces is used for charging. So. . . You don't really need to disable your WFCO converter. You can (and yes, there is a circuit breaker for it -- almost definitely located with the rest of your breakers), but you don't have to. Because of the Multiplus ATS, you can leave the WFCO enabled and actually have two charge sources: the Multiplus and the WFCO. My inverter charger (an AIMS) works that way, and I don't disable my WFCO.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

steve&renee
      In your case the Multiplus' 120vAC output apparently doesn't feed the OEM converter circuit off the main breaker panel. If it did, when the Multiplus was inverting (off the batteries) the OEM converter would use the Multiplus' output to try and charge the batteries (since the converter has no idea where the 120vAC originated).

Best practice IMHO is to disable or remove the converter, only reconnecting when there is a known failure or need.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        steve&renee
        In your case the Multiplus' 120vAC output apparently doesn't feed the OEM converter circuit off the main breaker panel. If it did, when the Multiplus was inverting (off the batteries) the OEM converter would use the Multiplus' output to try and charge the batteries (since the converter has no idea where the 120vAC originated).

Best practice IMHO is to disable or remove the converter, only reconnecting when there is a known failure or need.

Howard
        Right. All of my inverter loads are on a sub-panel that's separate from the converter circuit that's on my main panel -- which is also where the inverter/charger circuit is. I stand corrected. Thanks.

-Steve
        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

I'm sure others with more in-depth knowledge will weigh in, but here's my feedback:

The Multiplus is an inverter/charger with built-in Automatic Transfer Switch. When you have shore power, the ATS switches to CHARGE mode. When there's no shore power, the ATS switches to INVERT mode.

If you have it wired correctly, the ATS will sense whenever you have shore power and stop any inverting within milliseconds (~20 ms) of power being detected.

The factory WFCO converter can only convert when you have shore power -- and that's the only time the 12 volts it produces is used for charging. So. . . You don't really need to disable your WFCO converter. You can (and yes, there is a circuit breaker for it -- almost definitely located with the rest of your breakers), but you don't have to. Because of the Multiplus ATS, you can leave the WFCO enabled and actually have two charge sources: the Multiplus and the WFCO. My inverter charger (an AIMS) works that way, and I don't disable my WFCO.

-Steve
          The reason I posted this is I was looking at a stand alone inverter (no MultiPlus or similar with charger) and trying to find a way to solve the converter conflict other than having to remember to turn the converter charger breaker off to use it. Knowing me and my senior moments I did not want to see sparks fly. Trying to share what I found for fools like me on a budget. Now if the big stimulus checks come and my tax return comes out positive all bets are off

Steve I do appreciate your input though - Thanks
          Last edited by Yoda; 01-07-2021, 06:48 PM.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Well if you are looking to spend some money Etrailer emailed this to me today https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Cha...sionMng30-spot

Looks like it may solve all of your problems.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Well if you are looking to spend some money Etrailer emailed this to me today https://www.etrailer.com/Battery-Cha...sionMng30-spot

Looks like it may solve all of your problems.

Brian

Etrailer has been good to me, especially with their price pledge.

However
              Its missing a flux capacitor and warp drive

Nice price too

Comment

Generally the converter is on a separate breaker and plugs into a 120volt outlet near the converter.

i recommend unplugging rather than turning off the breaker. Why? Breakers can be accidentally turned on while it is rather hard to accidentally plug in the converter.

The reason for using the term “Generally” in the first sentence is while I haven’t seen this approach in Grand Design units some brands rather than having a separate converter have a breaker box with a built in converter.
                Colan Arnold
                2016 Momentum 397TH
                Full time since 2016

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post
                  Generally the converter is on a separate breaker and plugs into a 120volt outlet near the converter.

i recommend unplugging rather than turning off the breaker. Why? Breakers can be accidentally turned on while it is rather hard to accidentally plug in the converter.

The reason for using the term “Generally” in the first sentence is while I haven’t seen this approach in Grand Design units some brands rather than having a separate converter have a breaker box with a built in converter.
                  I know you know this, Colan, but for the readers of this thread: some of the Imagines have the WFCO 8700 series or 8900 series Electrical Distribution Center panel--both have the converter built-in. (The 8900's can be swapped out for a lithium.)

Most likely all of the Reflections, Solitudes, and Momentums have a 9800 series converter--the type that is easy to unplug.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9800.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	39630
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by colan View Post

Colan
                    Thanks for your input. My reflection has the converter built in as Howard mentions (8900 series I think) but can be swapped out(removed / replaced / bypased). Unfortunately the WFCO lithium replacement model does not have the best charge profile for BB or other lithium battery's. I contacted Battle Born to discuss a good replacement charger that is best for their battery's, They recommended the flowing; https://battlebornbatteries.com/prod...ttery-charger/

I know very little about this unit, but in looking at the manual on the Progressive Dynamics site is has a 4 stage lithium charging process. I am trying to learn as much as I can to make an informed decision. Simple set up stand alone inverter, stand alone charger, transfer switch, and battery monitor (a new research task in itself), or a state of the art Victron MultiPlus set up with options to program and monitor.

Thanks Folks
                    Keith

Comment

Working...
                    X