Winterizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterizing

I am getting ready to winterize my 2020 Reflection 29RS. Is it bad to leave it plugged in over the winter to keep the battery charged? It is my understanding that you can’t overcharge the battery by doing this and potentially ruin the battery. What are e everyone’s thoughts? Am I better to take the battery out and place it in my garage & connect it to a trickle charger/maintainer?
    Brian & Teri (plus the “boys” Ripley & Ruger, our yorkies)
    2020 Reflection 29RS
    2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Originally posted by BrianCriss View Post
    I am getting ready to winterize my 2020 Reflection 29RS. Is it bad to leave it plugged in over the winter to keep the battery charged? It is my understanding that you can’t overcharge the battery by doing this and potentially ruin the battery. What are e everyone’s thoughts? Am I better to take the battery out and place it in my garage & connect it to a trickle charger/maintainer?
    Brian

Seeing your post lets me know that you got this "re" figured out.
    In regards to your battery, I remove mine and place in garage on a workbench, a trickle charger would be a good way to keep it in good condition for the next season.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

An alternative (quoting my fellow moderator, Cate&Rob): ...if you pull the negative cable off the battery (to assure a complete battery disconnect) you can store the RV for many months without discharging the battery. A lead acid battery“self discharges” at less than 5% per month. So, for example, after 3 months of storage the battery will still be above 85% state of charge.

Your owner's manual also recommends disconnecting the negative cable. (Page 83 of the 2018 Reflection manual.)
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

BrianCriss

There is also an element of safety in storing the RV (or anything else) with all 12 VDC and 120 VAC power disconnected. This leaves no opportunity for an electrically overheated device when no one is there. Battery charger, switch contacts, whatever.

There is absolutely no need to remove or trickle charge lead/acid batteries that are in good shape. Just charge them to 100% and completely disconnect them. Even if you have a bank, you only need to disconnect the negative lead to the trailer (or put a disconnect switch in this cable). My reference for this is that I leave my boat like this for several months each winter in Canada and my golf cart like this for several months each summer in Florida, with no problems. Most of the similar community in each location does the same thing. This has worked well for many years.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I believe that there is a battery disconnect switch in the front storage area of my RV. Does switching this off suffice a “disconnected” battery or are you better off to disconnect the negative cable from the battery as well? Thoughts for simplicity sake...
          Brian & Teri (plus the “boys” Ripley & Ruger, our yorkies)
          2020 Reflection 29RS
          2013 Chevy Silverado 2500HD

Comment

I believe that there is a battery disconnect switch in the front storage area of my RV. Does switching this off suffice a “disconnected” battery or are you better off to disconnect the negative cable from the battery as well? Thoughts for simplicity sake...
            The battery disconnect does NOT totally disconnect the battery from items in the camper that uses 12 volt power. Things like the smoke detector or propane detector as well as the radio and maybe other items will still work when the battery disconnect is in the OFF position. Disconnecting the battery cables or installing a battery disconnect switch right at the battery will yield a total disconnect.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I guess on the other end of thinking, I leave mine plugged in year-round. Once a month I check the water level in my 4 6-volt GC2 batteries. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by thawkins57 View Post
                I guess on the other end of thinking, I leave mine plugged in year-round. Once a month I check the water level in my 4 6-volt GC2 batteries. I've been doing this for years and have never had a problem.
                The key here is maintaining the level in the batteries. If you stay connected, this step is required for lead/acid batteries.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Working...
                X