Trailer brakes not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave27

You can certainly “upsize” the wiring with no problem . . . in fact, this would probably make the brakes work better. I think you are one size low (numerically) on the OE wire sizing estimate. The blue wire is likely 14 ga (not 12) and the brake wiring might be 18 ga. Running 14 ga throughout would be good, 12 ga would be better. I like Neil’s idea of using stranded wire designed for burying (typical for outdoor low voltage lighting or irrigation systems). This will get you much thicker insulation.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Wow, that sure may be the problem with your brake malfunction. I'd certainly tape it up for a temporary repair. Here is a link to the connectors - They are a little pricey, but I like using them.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchlok-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Sorry Jim this is one connector that should not be used. It is like any other knife connector where a metal V is pushed against the wires and can cut strands. I have had several fail on my unit. I prefer a Bulb crimp connector like this https://www.zoro.com/ideal-closed-en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
      Any auto parts store will have them.
      Hope this helps

On edit to protect the wire you can pick up some split wire loom at the auto parts store too.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Sorry Jim this is one connector that should not be used. It is like any other knife connector where a metal V is pushed against the wires and can cut strands. I have had several fail on my unit. I prefer a Bulb crimp connector like this https://www.zoro.com/ideal-closed-en...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
        Any auto parts store will have them.
        Hope this helps

On edit to protect the wire you can pick up some split wire loom at the auto parts store too.
        I would have to agree with Keith on this. Any type of "knife" connector (even if it has grease to seal out moisture like the Scotchlok) risks cutting the fine strands of good quality wire. With vibration, the blades of the connector can continue to cut through the wire. The connector referenced by Keith can be filled with silicone before the wires are inserted and crimped, to provide additional moisture protection.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

We moved on to another location, towing the camper for several hours. It was so nice to not have the warning "chime" (obnoxious loud noise) constantly sounding off, and have brakes that work!!

I want to comment a little more on the hot wire that failed. Originally I thought it was because the hot wire and ground rubbed together where they passed through the coroplast. There may have been some of the problem caused by that, but it looks like such a small wire laying under larger wires caused the cover to be worn off. Then the hot wire literally became so hot that the cover material melted. This probably happened several times. The wire had several places with bare wire, and it was melted in several places. It started to burn through another wire on top of it. This is a troubling situation, it could have easily started an electrical fire. I don't understand why the situation could get so bad. There was no fuse that blew, the only one I can find in the system is in the truck. The wire is very thin for the current that must pass through it. It is not protected from excessive wear with unsecured heavy wires on top of it. I am not sure what kept the situation from becoming a fire. The only think I can think of is the "smart" brake controller sensed a problem and stopped sending current to the camper. I'm glad I found it and could fix it. But I shutter at what could have happened.

Again thank you all for your excellent suggestions and help. All is well that ends well.

All the best-
          Dave
          2016 Reflection 27RL
          2015 Silverado 2500HD 6L
          B&W Patriot 18k slider

Comment

Dave27
            Hi Dave,

Thanks for the follow-up. Good to learn that you found the problem and have trailer brakes again!

You raise a valid concern ( in my opinion) that brake apply circuits are not protected with suitably sized fuses. The 18 ga (or at best 16 ga) trailer brake wiring is “protected” by the fuse in the truck which is likely 40 A. Which is why your wiring melted without blowing this fuse.

There seems to be a towable RV industry concern that a blown fuse preventing trailer brake apply is a greater risk than what you have experienced. When I installed EOH (electric over hydraulic) brakes on my Reflection, I noticed a similar lack of a fuse in their wiring diagram. I challenged the brake system manufacturer on this, but didn’t get a satisfactory answer. I included an auto reset breaker in my wiring.

Rob

Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
            X