Bypassing OEM Shutoff Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bypassing OEM Shutoff Switch

So I'm finally getting to the point where I would like to bypass the OEM Shutoff Switch and was wondering if the electrical experts here can fact check my plan in doing this. It almost seems to straight forward to the point that I wonder what I'm missing. With the addition of my new shutoff switches the original is now redundant, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but with its location and the tendency for the key to get knocked into when loading and unloading the passthrough it makes sense to me to skip it altogether at this point, while leaving it just in case I need it down the road.

The following is the schematic to my OEM automatic breakers for a point of reference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OEM 12volt Wire Diagram.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	39757

Now for what I am planning to do, which includes:

1. Disconnect the red wire running from Breaker #1 going to the OEM shutoff switch,
    2. Disconnect the black wire running from the OEM shutoff switch to Breaker #4,
    3. Move the Black wire running to the Distribution center from the Power (P) post on Breaker #4 to the Load (L) post on Breaker #1,
    4. Install a new copper busbar that would extend to all four breakers, and
    5. Flip Breaker #4 to connect its Power post to the new busbar and switch its position with Breaker #3. My thought behind switching these two breaker positions is to simply move the smaller 15amp breaker to the position that is furthest from the primary battery power connection to the busbar.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Modified 12volt Wire Diagram  (1-1-2021).jpg
Views:	355
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	39759

Unfortunately I still have several lines that I haven't had an opportunity to trace out to know for sure where they are going and what they currently power. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Brian
    Attached Files
    Brian
    2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
    2018 Reflection 230RL

It looks to me like you'll be placing the switch before the break away brake wire. I'd recommend against this. If you ever start towing and forget to turn on the switch, you will not have break away stopping capability. And since the break away system will only draw current when it's activated, it won't drain your battery to leave it connected all the time.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Retgw2 TucsonJim makes a valid point above.

However I and others have re-configured our battery switching to completely detach the battery from all systems, including the braking system.

I've done it with confidence because it is impossible to hook up to my trailer without using its jacks and the battery switch must be turned on to use the jacks. I could not be under tow with the switch off unless someone snuck in and turned it off in the minutes after I hooked up and before I left.

Not that I want to give anyone ideas.
      Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

TucsonJim, boyscout ,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and exactly the type of feedback I need to put everything into perspective. Like Mark mentions I would have to turn on the switch to hook up the trailer and use the landing gear so following that logic I would then have to intentionally turn off the switch to then tow without power, except for what is being transferred through the 7way plug from the TV. For piece of mind I might also just move the breakaway line to a different connection altogether that stays hot full time.

Brian
        Brian
        2017 Silverado 2500 HD diesel
        2018 Reflection 230RL

Comment

Originally posted by Retgw2 View Post
          TucsonJim, boyscout ,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this and exactly the type of feedback I need to put everything into perspective. Like Mark mentions I would have to turn on the switch to hook up the trailer and use the landing gear so following that logic I would then have to intentionally turn off the switch to then tow without power, except for what is being transferred through the 7way plug from the TV. For piece of mind I might also just move the breakaway line to a different connection altogether that stays hot full time.

Brian
          Since the brake system break away switch is supposed to be directly connected to the battery, the use of a battery switch to totally disconnect is somewhat of a concern. Also for those that have moved the battery into the passthrough, this also compounds the problem since a wire directly from the battery to the break away switch would be unfused while running into the rig. To solve this issue a dedicated break away kit with its own integrated battery and charger will allow for a direct circuit from the battery to the break away switch and then on to the brakes (without fuse or breaker) where this is mounted outside the rig. The charge wire can be fused and would not pose an issue.

Curt Push-To-Test Trailer Breakaway Kit with Built-In Battery Charger - Side Load Curt Trailer Breakaway Kit C52042 (etrailer.com)

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X