Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC converter output depends on A/C circuit breaker(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC converter output depends on A/C circuit breaker(s)

I accidentally discovered this topic when troubleshooting my converter. It surprised me, so I thought I would warn others.

I have a 2021 GD 22MLE TT with the WFCO 8735 converter. For wintering the trailer, I did a blow-out of the water lines and put a small ceramic heater inside set to the mid-40's to keep condensation and temperature swings down. This required 24/7 shore power to the rig. Since A/C power was on, the water heater was empty, the water lines were empty, and the water heater power switch is adjacent to the overhead light switch, I figured it would be a good idea to throw the W/H breaker - circuit 5 - rather than risk accidentally powering the water heater with a fat finger on the switch and burning out the heating rod. The main 30A breaker was always in the on position, all of the fuses are intact.

Fast forward a month, I go into the trailer to do some work and I discover that the batteries are dead. The master switch was in the connected position, so I was expecting fully charged batteries. After some troubleshooting, I find that the converter isn't outputting any voltage. I was getting ready to replace the unit when I threw the water heater breaker back on and retested the converter output. Et voila, 13.8V unloaded at the batteries.

I did not fully evaluate which combination of breakers make a difference, but it seems at least for this model converter that circuit 5 must be closed for the DC converter to output any voltage. Perhaps common knowledge for long-time owners, but it was a bit of a surprise to me.
    Last edited by bbeauchaine87408; 01-18-2021, 11:39 PM.

bbeauchaine87408 -- informative post, thank you. Side note--consider having the battery load tested after recharging it. Your wet-cell battery may not withstand a load very well even though it appears to charge. (Auto stores normally will do this for free.)

Can you take a picture of your power panel's labeling? What you've written and what I can see on the GD drawing of your trailer (which I am not allowed to post--sorry) is different.

Below is an example of what I'm requesting (it's from my 315RLTS and only posted to show what I'm looking to see on your trailer):

Click image for larger version

Name:	CB Box.JPG
Views:	641
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	40456
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      bbeauchaine87408 -- informative post, thank you. Side note--consider having the battery load tested after recharging it. Your wet-cell battery may not withstand a load very well even though it appears to charge. (Auto stores normally will do this for free.)
      Yes, a load test is in order now after having the batteries dragged down to squat.

Can you take a picture of your power panel's labeling? What you've written and what I can see on the GD drawing of your trailer (which I am not allowed to post--sorry) is different.
      Someone in a different thread has the same converter with pictures. Here's the link:

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-dc-convertor

Comment

bbeauchaine87408 has identified an issue GD can quickly fix by adding a label. The issue is an owner can unwittingly turn off the converter in their WFCO 8735 power center by turning off "Branch 5", the circuit breaker marked for the water heater.

Please pass this along to the Imagine (and Transcend?) teams to consider adding the "converter" label to Branch 5 on trailers that use this power center (and any others with a similar setup).

Howard

Click image for larger version  Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	7 Size:	174.7 KB ID:	40508
        Last edited by howson; 01-19-2021, 08:49 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

bbeauchaine87408 has identified an issue GD can quickly fix by adding a label. The issue is an owner can unwittingly turn off the converter in their WFCO 8735 power center by turning off the main 30A circuit breaker. Note in the picture below that the converter is not identified with the 30A main. (May seem obvious that the converter will turn off with the main off...but "obvious" is always the case with hindsight.)

Please pass this along to the Imagine (and Transcend?) teams to consider adding the "converter" label on trailers that use this power center (and any others with a similar setup).
          It's not the 30A main that I flipped - it was Branch #5 W/H. In my case, the 30A main was always in the 'on' position. I was trying to selectively disable power to the water heater while leaving the converter on, which does not seem to be possible. Otherwise, thanks for passing this along to the distributors, especially since this is not specifically called out even in the troubleshooting flowchart provided by the converter manufacturer.

Comment

Originally posted by bbeauchaine87408 View Post

It's not the 30A main that I flipped - it was Branch #5 W/H. In my case, the 30A main was always in the 'on' position. I was trying to selectively disable power to the water heater while leaving the converter on, which does not seem to be possible. Otherwise, thanks for passing this along to the distributors, especially since this is not specifically called out even in the troubleshooting flowchart provided by the converter manufacturer.
            Doh! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll correct my earlier post.

Comment

Yes....I too was very disappointed to learn the convertor was not on its own breaker in the 22MLE. I was contemplating replacing the entire Power Center with something of a little better quality that was also Lithium friendly, but I hate to do something so major on a brand new trailer that is still under warranty.

Billm321
              Bill M.
              2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

bbeauchaine87408 has identified an issue GD can quickly fix by adding a label. The issue is an owner can unwittingly turn off the converter in their WFCO 8735 power center by turning off "Branch 5", the circuit breaker marked for the water heater.

Please pass this along to the Imagine (and Transcend?) teams to consider adding the "converter" label to Branch 5 on trailers that use this power center (and any others with a similar setup).

Howard

Click image for larger version Name:	fetch.jpg Views:	7 Size:	174.7 KB ID:	40508
                Thank you for the feedback! I will pass on to the product managers.

Comment

Well, I guess I lucked out. Our 2650 has split breakers, and the converter is on its own breaker.
                  2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
                    Yes....I too was very disappointed to learn the convertor was not on its own breaker in the 22MLE. I was contemplating replacing the entire Power Center with something of a little better quality that was also Lithium friendly, but I hate to do something so major on a brand new trailer that is still under warranty.

Billm321
                    I am replacing my OEM WFCO 8735 with a whole new unit.
                    Progressive Dynamics RV Power Control Center with AC/DC Panel and Converter/Smart Charger - 35 Amp
                    Item # PD4135K. This has a Li battery switch and is only $158.23 at etrailer.com
                    2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by cvretis View Post

I am replacing my OEM WFCO 8735 with a whole new unit.
                      Progressive Dynamics RV Power Control Center with AC/DC Panel and Converter/Smart Charger - 35 Amp
                      Item # PD4135K. This has a Li battery switch and is only $158.23 at etrailer.com
                      It looks like the Progressive Dynamics also only has room for 3 double pole/ tandem breakers. So the Convertor will still not be on its own breaker.

I would love to replace my power center too with something of better quality, if only to get rid of the annoying cooling fan noise, but I am a little intimidated. Maybe somebody will documenting the replacement process with plenty of photos and step by step commentary and post it here (hint hint)

Billm321
                      Last edited by BillM321; 02-01-2021, 05:55 PM.
                      Bill M.
                      2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                      2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

I can send some info once I get the unit and figure things out. Might be able to move the converter to another breaker.

"Never let the fact that you don't know what you are doing get in the way of getting the job done!"
                        "Any job worth doing is worth doing twice."
                        But then again, I have been accused of having a somewhat hyperactive sarcasm gland.
                        2021 Imagine 22MLE

Comment

Working...
                        X