Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

which is the charging wire from the harness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is the charging wire from the harness?

Installing a DC-DC converter for new Lithium battery. I took the cover off of the the dozen or so positive wires that come to a bus bar. It seems that most connect to a breaker of some sort.

Without disconnecting each wire and running an OHM test with the trailer harness, does anyone know which wire or which breaker the harness is connected?

thanks,
    Todd
    2020 Reflection 295RL
    Aims 200Ah Lithium with Bluetooth

Hi Todd. Welcome to the forum.

I'm attaching a diagram of the 7-way trailer harness. One side is the truck, and the other side is the trailer. I'm also attaching a link to our welcome letter for you to maneuver your way around the forum a little easier.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Click image for larger version

Name:	7 Way.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	40577

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

On my Solitude S-Class 2930RL (2021), there is a black wire that connects to the bus bar opposite the positive battery cable. I believe that is the wire that feeds 12V DV from the 7pin connector on mine. All of the circuits off of the bus bar (slide feed, landing gear feed, gas/co detector, emergency brake switch) feed through small auto-reset breakers off of the bus bar. I could be wrong and the vehicle 12V feed could be through a breaker as you mentioned above and the black wire I mentioned could be the e-brake feed.

Doing this from memory when I recently added solar and removed the OEM battery and cables ....

I would connect 12V and the taillight pin together in the 7 pin (they are right next to each other) and then disconnect individually a wire at a time (and reconnect it) until the taillights turn off, then you know exactly which is your 12V feed .... I guess you want to avoid that though. Only other way is to look for clues based on wiring colors or following wires. At least this gets rid of the ohms test part

Each camper is built a little unique, so what I am telling you may be different than yours ....
      2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
      1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
      2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Thanks for the clues OpenRangeOners and Tucson Jim. Saves me looking up that connector stuff.

Other forums suggest the wire from the harness is 10gage. I will start with those wires to figure out which one. I wonder what size fuse GD uses for this connection? Maybe I will call them.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by Juiceman View Post
          Thanks for the clues OpenRangeOners and Tucson Jim. Saves me looking up that connector stuff.

Other forums suggest the wire from the harness is 10gage. I will start with those wires to figure out which one. I wonder what size fuse GD uses for this connection? Maybe I will call them.

Todd
          Doing some work on mine I did not see a fuse inline from the truck connection to the trailer. There is a resettable breaker between the wire and the battery at the bus bar connection. The red wire you are looking for will be one of the bottom wires. There are a couple there but I can not remember which is which. It would be better to check to make sure , each unit could be wired a little different.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

For completeness for the site, here is what I found.

On my 2020 Reflection, there is a bundle of white wires that have color stripes on them. The 10 gage white wire with the red stripe is the one from the harness. Always use a meter to prove this on your trailer as it may be different.

It is attached to a 30 amp breaker with the rest of the inputs/outputs for the DC buss bar. I disconnected this wire and ran it through the Renogy DC-DC converter.

Comment

Working...
            X