Adding an outlet question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding an outlet question

I would like to add an outlet for my wife to use for her laptop. "Her" recliner is next to the refrigerator cabinet and the sidewall would be a good place for it. Can a plug be added off of the frig outlet? Photos attached. The single outlet appears to be for the frig only. Norcold frig BTW.

On a side note, it appears there are 12-volt wires coming from the frig. What would this be for on a gas/electric model?
    Attached Files
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Bill

All of the controls on the fridge are 12v. The heating elements are either 120v ac or propane gas.

Adding the receptacle will only cause one issue. If there is a problem with the added receptacle that causes the breaker on the fridge circuit to trip then you will lose power to the fridge. If there is another option for power to the added receptacle you may wish to pursue that.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
      I would like to add an outlet for my wife to use for her laptop. "Her" recliner is next to the refrigerator cabinet and the sidewall would be a good place for it. Can a plug be added off of the frig outlet? Photos attached. The single outlet appears to be for the frig only. Norcold frig BTW.

On a side note, it appears there are 12-volt wires coming from the frig. What would this be for on a gas/electric model?
      Hi Bill,

Yes, you could add another outlet off of the one used for the refrigerator in the photo. Please note that the outlet pictured is an RV style outlet and does not have the typical screw connections on the inside that you'd see on a residential duplex outlet. If you aren't 100% certain on the wiring process, I'd recommend you hire an electrician who's familiar with RV's to do the work.

As for the 12V. When your rig is running on gas, it still needs electricity to operate the control board and displays, etc. This is done with 12V power. The 120V connection on a gas/electric refrigerator is primarily for the electric heating element for when you're running on shore power.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Bill

All of the controls on the fridge are 12v. The heating elements are either 120v ac or propane gas.

Adding the receptacle will only cause one issue. If there is a problem with the added receptacle that causes the breaker on the fridge circuit to trip then you will lose power to the fridge. If there is another option for power to the added receptacle you may wish to pursue that.

Brian
        Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Hi Bill,

Yes, you could add another outlet off of the one used for the refrigerator in the photo. Please note that the outlet pictured is an RV style outlet and does not have the typical screw connections on the inside that you'd see on a residential duplex outlet. If you aren't 100% certain on the wiring process, I'd recommend you hire an electrician who's familiar with RV's to do the work.

As for the 12V. When your rig is running on gas, it still needs electricity to operate the control board and displays, etc. This is done with 12V power. The 120V connection on a gas/electric refrigerator is primarily for the electric heating element for when you're running on shore power.

Jim
        Thanks, gentlemen. I appreciate the input. I have a friend that is a longtime RV repair guy that would probably give me guidance if I pursue doing it.
        Bill & Cindy
        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
        SE Texas

Comment

I have since learned that the outlets in RVs are made such as not to require a box. Is this correct? I would cautiously make the assumption that a regular residential could be used with a box? Again, I appreciate the input as I learn my way around the RV.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
            I have since learned that the outlets in RVs are made such as not to require a box. Is this correct? I would cautiously make the assumption that a regular residential could be used with a box? Again, I appreciate the input as I learn my way around the RV.
            Residential can be used BUT it does not follow the RV building code , for whatever that is worth. Cate&Rob will be along to sort this out for you.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

BillinTexas
              RV construction methods are governed by RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) which references the NEC (National Electrical Code) for anything 120V related. Thus, parts and assembly methods that meet NEC requirements will also meet RVIA requirements. The RV industry uses outlets that combine the outlet and the box into one unit that is clamped together using a special tool. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...connector-tool for what this tool looks like. Without this tool, it is very difficult to assemble an outlet box as used by the RV industry. The main reason that these boxes are used is to speed up the assembly plant process. A standard residential box, outlet and cover can also be used with standard 14-2 solid copper residential wiring.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

As Rob stated, standard residential outlets and boxes can be used, but it's difficult to do so and comply with the NEC. They boxes are usually designed for 2"x4" construction and quite often won't fit in the thin RV walls. In addition, according to the NEC, the wires need to be stapled to a stud near an outlet. An RV outlet has clamping which eliminates the need for a staple.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks for the additional information. This is nothing I'm in a hurry to do and will look at other options in the meantime. This area is open behind the refrigerator with room to move/access.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

BillinTexas TucsonJim

Hi Bill,

If wall depth is a concern, there are "shallow" NEC compliant boxes and even surface mount boxes. All boxes have either built in cable clamps or accept a standard cable clamp nipple. (Note wire clamps inside box in picture) Jim is correct that fastening the wire close to the box is a requirement (often not complied with in "rework" electrical if the wiring is otherwise secure). The biggest problem with bringing power from an existing "RV" outlet is opening this OE box to insert the new wire and then reclosing it properly. With reference to your picture attached to post 1, I would replace this outlet for the fridge with a standard surface box and receptacle. It should then be easy to go from this box to the new one.

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shallow Rework Box.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	40856Click image for larger version

Name:	Surface Box.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	40857
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                    X