Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Solitude 310GK wiring

Hi
    i see people asking GDRV-Megan for wiring diagrams for their assorted Grand Design models, and I was wondering if I could ask as well for the diagram of my new 2021 Solitude 310GK. I am having an issues with the 6 lights over the dining area/recliners, and want to be able to trace the issues back to the source. My VIN# is 573FS3624MAA03624
    Thank you
    Mark
    2021 GD Solitude 310GK (New on 12/2/20)
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab 8' Bed Diesel with B&W Companion
    Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart
    Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/70, 700W Renogy 175w Flexible Solar Panels.

Originally posted by applewpb View Post
    Hi
    i see people asking GDRV-Megan for wiring diagrams for their assorted Grand Design models, and I was wondering if I could ask as well for the diagram of my new 2021 Solitude 310GK. I am having an issues with the 6 lights over the dining area/recliners, and want to be able to trace the issues back to the source. My VIN# is 573FS3624MAA03624
    Thank you
    Mark
    Hi Mark,
    Welcome to our owners technical forum.

Grand Design does not have "wiring diagrams" in the sense of what you are looking for. They have "Electrical Plans" that show which type of outlet or fixture goes where in the construction of the trailer. If you contact Customer Service with your VIN, they will likely send you an Electrical Plan . . . but it will not tell you much more than you already know from seeing where the outlets and lights are located.

Since your Solitude is new, having the dealer sort out any wiring issues should be your first recourse. If you want to go at this yourself, there are several on this forum with experience in doing this. Just post more details of the problem.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi
      Thank you
      Mark
      Can I take a wild guess that your lights are flickering. Sometimes. And not always the same ones (although the front one over the dining table is most often flickering). And sometimes the flickering stops when you turn other lights on. And even WHICH lights you turn on can stop or start the flickering. It's just crazy. And it doesn't happen ALL of the time.
      Pat and Karen
      2021 Solitude 310GK, Full Body Paint, Dual Pane Windows, Heat Pump, Slide Toppers, Solar, MORryde 7K IS w/Disc Brakes, Splendide W/D Stacked Pair

Comment

Hi
        Thank you
        Mark
        Hi Mark,
        You've already gotten good feedback on your specific question, so my only purpose in posting on your thread is to invite you to check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

So, not so much of a flickering issue; I installed dimmers on the lights in question. The dimmers are the three wire rotary kind see here and purchased on amazon. I had company at the RV yesterday, and wanting to show off the dimmers, went to use them only to find out there was no power going to the lights. Checked the fuses on the panel and nothing blown, so I was a bit confounded as to why all of a sudden they would stop working.
          I was not sure if they were tied in to the compass control lighting, so that is why I asked for a lighting diagram; maybe trace the wires back to the power source. its like a jungle when it comes to how these thongs are wired. I appreciate the feedback, just not what the cause of the issue could be.

mark
          Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart

Comment

applewpb

The power wire for the lights goes back to the output (marked OUT below) of the Unity X1.5 board in your 310GK. This board turns trailer lights (and other components) on and off based on the input from the OCTP ("OneTouch Control Panel") OR (in some cases) a discrete external switch. Some components can only be controlled through the OCTP (no discrete switch).

The ceiling lights appear to have both a discrete input (marked "IN" below) and they can be controlled through the OCTP. If you put a "dimmer" on the input wire to the X1.5 board that will do nothing to actually dim the lights. The input is like a digital "1" or "0" telling the board to turn on (or off) the lights.

Where, exactly, did you install the "dimmers" and how?

Click image for larger version  Name:	x15 Board.JPG Views:	0 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	40906
            Howard
            Last edited by howson; 01-25-2021, 08:57 PM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

There are a pair of switches under the cabinet that the control panel is in, just as you walk in the front door. Each switch controls three lights, one set over the dining table, and one set over the recliners. The dining/recliner area is on a slide-out. I had the dimmers working, went on a trip about two weeks ago and had no issues. It was only on Sunday that I noticed the lights were not working; what I am finding is how hard it is to isolate a circuit in the rv and finding all the 12v lights either on a "front" fuse or a "rear" fuse. The other thing I noticed, the compass control turns on the main ceiling lights, awning lights, and bedroom lights. I installed a dimmer in the bedroom but I have had no issues dimming the lights. I guess trying to understand how the compass control/unity board works is half the game.

Mark

Comment

There are a pair of switches under the cabinet that the control panel is in, just as you walk in the front door. Each switch controls three lights, one set over the dining table, and one set over the recliners. The dining/recliner area is on a slide-out. I had the dimmers working, went on a trip about two weeks ago and had no issues. It was only on Sunday that I noticed the lights were not working; what I am finding is how hard it is to isolate a circuit in the rv and finding all the 12v lights either on a "front" fuse or a "rear" fuse. The other thing I noticed, the compass control turns on the main ceiling lights, awning lights, and bedroom lights. I installed a dimmer in the bedroom but I have had no issues dimming the lights. I guess trying to understand how the compass control/unity board works is half the game.

Mark
                A light (or series of lights) that can be controlled by the OCTP is, by definition, controlled by the Unity board. If those same lights have a discrete switch to turn them on and off (in addition to the OCTP) then the switches provide discrete inputs to the Unity board--not power to the lights.

I've never gotten to test a Unity board myself, but the discrete input may be as simple as continuity to ground. A change in the switch state sensed by the Unity board triggers a change in state for the lights. (If they are on they'll turn off. If off they'll turn on.)

If a light (or series of lights) are not controlled by the OCTP, then they are likely standard power switches like all of the controls in my trailer. From your description, that's what it sounds like you're dealing with here over the dining/recliner area.

I apologize for what may seem like simple questions (you're new here) so please don't take offense. 1) Do you have (and know how to use) a multimeter? 2) What experience do you have working around electricity? The answers to those questions will inform the next troubleshooting steps.

Also note that there are several members here with new(er) Solitudes. They may jump in (and I invite them to do so!) with other ideas on how to isolate the issue.

Howard

Comment

Working...
                X