Simple power display panel addon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Livin Large View Post
    Also how did I get a 44 amp draw show up on the display from all those things running at the same time at a 50 amp site if it subtracts? No dog bone was used at this campground.
    That could happen if all the loads are on one leg.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

The 44 amp draw could have been 50 amps on leg 1 and 6 amps on leg 2 which would provide the 44 amp reading. If you would have more than 50 amps on one leg it should trip a breaker.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        The 44 amp draw could have been 50 amps on leg 1 and 6 amps on leg 2 which would provide the 44 amp reading. If you would have more than 50 amps on one leg it should trip a breaker.

Brian
        This makes sense. That’s why I was wondering if he was rubbing the same loads, but it has to be something like that.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The ems should show how much current is being drawn in each leg. Compare those readings with the neutral amp reading.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
            Interesting. Makes sense. I can't think of any other reason for it to display the way it does.

Comment

Originally posted by Livin Large View Post

Interesting. Makes sense. I can't think of any other reason for it to display the way it does.
              I am curious enough to get one of these an attached it to the neutral wire just to compare to my EMS , I like gadgets.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Of course this cheap setup is perfect for a 30 amp rig. No phase issues to deal with.

Comment

OK. I've been thinking about this for a while on how the amperage could be correct on the display panel. Not an electrical engineer and my knowledge comes from Dad who worked for the power company.

In order for the 110v side of the circuit to work we all agree that the neutral must carry the current back to the transformer. Where it gets complicated is when we throw the out of phase circuit into the mix. Again for both legs to work properly we must all agree that the neutral is carrying the current back to the transformer to complete the circuit otherwise we just went to 220v as the neutral dropped out and the hot legs are doing all the work.

This is how I see the the power working.

Remember voltage and amperage in AC is RMS (this is the key) It is possible for the neutral circuit to be carrying opposing voltages from the 2 phases, likewise the 2 amperages are of opposing signs. RMS is the Root Mean Square of the DIFFERENCE. So leg 1 is carrying 10 amps at 0 on the hz clock and leg 2 is carrying -10 amps at 0 on the hz clock. The difference between these 2 is 20 amps at 0 on the clock. Is we look at 30 on the hz clock (1/2 way there), leg 1 is now at -10 amps and leg 2 is at 10 amps, again the difference is 20 amps. The meter is measuring the difference between the loads returning to the transformer.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Another way to think about it is that the currents are going back and forth out of phase. So when one leg flow in the neutral is going to the source, the other leg flow is coming form the source. Otherwise the neutral carrying both legs going to the source at the same time would have to be larger to carry the combined flow. Being out of phase by 180 degrees the peaks and valleys of the oscillating current cancel each other. Look at the combination as the difference of the absolute values. |10| - |-10| = 0 |40| - |-20| = 10
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

A picture may help. In perfectly balanced loads there is 0 neutral current. The current flows back and forth L1 to L2. The source is the common transformer.
                      Attached Files
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

My clamp meter died 2 years ago and I have not replaced it yet as I want one that does DC current also (I do automotive work and having DC is nice).

I really want to build a Male plug / female receptacle setup that will allow me to measure current on each leg and the neutral to confirm or change my thought on how the system is working.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

You guys ready for another monkey wrench? I'm at another 50AMP campground. When I turned on the fireplace and electric space heater the meter went to 000 amps. So my thinking is this pedestal is correctly wired with the 2 poles out of phase but the last 50AMP pedestal at the other campground wasn't out of phase but still supplied 50 amps which is why it displayed 44 amps. Thoughts?

Comment

That, or your space heater and fireplace are on different legs. Turn off one of your 50amp breakers and see what the meter reads.
                            Ted
                            2021 Reflection 310RLS
                            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I did, The amperage varies when I play around with stuff. The fireplace and heater cancel each other out on the display obviously. Both are drawing the same amount of current on different legs.

Comment

Back to one of my comments earlier. I wonder if the 50amp service you were plugged into was mis wired where both of the hot legs were on the same phase??? I doubt you were pulling more than 30 amps per leg unless you had every possible component in the RV running at full load, up to and including the converter.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X