GD wire size from 30A Shore Power Plug to Distribution Panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD wire size from 30A Shore Power Plug to Distribution Panel

Been searching this information all morning. Even looked up the wall plug in the parts look up. Does anyone know what AWG wire GD used from the shore power wall plug to the distribution panel in my Reflection 220RK. I am planing a future 3000W inverter in the front bay and a transfer switch by the existing distribution panel (10' to 12' run). I am wanting to order supplies such as ring terminal connectors, etc.

Most of the trailer wiring is 14awg. I am wondering if they used 10awg or 12 awg for this run? From the blue sea chart it should be at least 10 AWG. Now if I am in there setting up the transfer switch and have access to that wire run (shore power plug to distribution panel) should I up-size while I am at it?

Second question to run from the 3000w inverter to the transfer switch/ power distribution panel it looks like I need at least 8awg (8/3 stranded SO cable). However most of the wiring diagrams I am seeing folks are running 6/3, but maybe that's due to the 50a service in their trailers. If I use the critical table I should probably get 6/3 correct?

http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/newsletter/images/DC_wire_selection_chartlg.jpg

Thanks folks
    Keith

On edit - the transfer switch is pre-wired with 10 awg, but this can be redone easily.
    Last edited by Yoda; 01-28-2021, 02:05 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith,

The Blue Sea chart is for direct current wiring recommendations. In this case, you're dealing with alternating current. Converting 3000 watts at 120VAC to amps = 3000W/120VAC = 25 amps.

Here are typical wiring sizes for AC current:

15 Amps - 14 AWG
    20 Amps - 12 AWG
    30 Amps - 10 AWG
    40 Amps - 8 AWG.

Since your maximum current flow will be 25 amps, 10 AWG wire is sufficient for your run.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

My 50 amp service is run with 6/3. It will be written on the wire's outer sheath, but I'm guessing you already know that.
      John & Karen, RV Newbies
      2020 Relection 150, 260RD
      GMC Sierra Denali 2500

Comment

Thanks everyone. In a few months when I get into it I'll post what I find. I will need to clean the rats nest first. I can get stranded 10/3 or 8/3 at my local Home Depot or Lowes.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Thanks everyone. In a few months when I get into it I'll post what I find. I will need to clean the rats nest first. I can get stranded 10/3 or 8/3 at my local Home Depot or Lowes.
          Since you have a 30 amp service and you're supplying up to 25 amps with your inverter, you should use 10/2 NM-B from the inverter to your transfer switch. 10/3 NM-B is typically a red, black, white and ground wire. You don't need the fourth (red) wire in your set up. Of course, if you want to use 8/2 NM-B, that's fine too.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Since you have a 30 amp service and you're supplying up to 25 amps with your inverter, you should use 10/2 NM-B from the inverter to your transfer switch. 10/3 NM-B is typically a red, black, white and ground wire. You don't need the fourth (red) wire in your set up. Of course, if you want to use 8/2 NM-B, that's fine too.

Jim
            Thanks Jim Yep I was a number off. I forgot they don't count the ground wire in the wire count.

Comment

Update
              I found that GD used 10/2 from the exterior shore plug to the distribution panel. Its the orange wire below.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0540s.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	52540

Here is the distribution panel pulled out. GD left plenty of slack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544s.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	52541

Comment

Working...
              X