Surge Protector or EMS advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge Protector or EMS advice

My wife and I pick up our Transcend 200MK TT on Friday. I understand that I should get some sort of surge protector or EMS for the trailer. Any advice on what we should get? We are so new that I do not even understand what I can plug into the trailer at this time. I do not know if the trailer has 30AMP or 50AMP or both. The reason for this question is because I do not want to be talked into getting something that I really do not need. Also, we will be using this RV to go to various parks or campgrounds and will not be static in one location.

Thank you
    Brett and Sharon
    Reflection 150 series 280 RS 5th Wheel
    2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ, 6.2 Diesel
    B&W Companion Hitch

I use a Camco 50a power defender, and have for years. Small price to pay for piece of mind in my opinion. I would assume you have 30a power for that rig, as it is what's standard. But they do offer 50a as an option. you can always get a 50a and reduce, but I would confirm what you have first. You will find people who say you don't need one, and that's fine, to each their own. I just feel more comfortable have it.
    Robert & Cat
    2021 Momentum 399TH-R
    2019 F350 DRW
    2017 Yamaha Fully Custom GC built for the beach!

Wreck'Em Tech!

Comment

I will go out on a fence and say you need one. Think of it as a $250 dollar surge protector. If a surge pops it, it sucks, but you can replace it easily (the one I have the surge unit is a field replaceable $20 part).

If you take a surge without it, and blow your converter, Air Conditioner unit(s), Fridge, or anything else hooked up to the AC power supply. Well, now your in for an expensive and time consuming repair.

I have a:
      https://hughesautoformers.com/product/pwd30-epo/
      Make sure you get the emergency power shut off version. I like cause it has bluetooth, i can check the status while I'm in the rig, and track power usage. (I used it to figure out how much of a generator I needed)

Lots of people swear by Progressive Industries:
      https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I.../dp/B01N0W4CZ8

In any case, DON"T buy one till you figure out if you are a 30amp plug, or a 50Amp plug. You want your Rig to plug directly into the surge protector, then any outlet adaptors you have to use are on the other side of the surge unit.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

One more thing. There are two styles. The external kind (like I linked to) where you plug the Rig into it, and the unit into the power post. The other style is an internal unit, where you install it between the fuse panel and the power cord.

There are benefits to both. (Portables do not require installation, but can be easily stolen)
        Mike

Comment

Hi Brett, welcome.

Your trailer has 30-amp service. When you are connected to shore power you can plug anything you'd like into the standard 15-amp receptacles in your trailer, so pretty much anything you'd plug in at home into the same receptacles. However your trailer can only deliver about 30 amps of current at the same time, so if you operate an air conditioner and a microwave at the same time you'll be pushing it a bit, if you try to also run a hair dryer or coffee maker at the same time you'll probably flip a breaker switch and have to reset it. Not a big deal.

When you are NOT connected to shore power none of those standard 15-amp receptacles have any power. Only 12-volt systems will work in that case, which is mostly the lights as well as the fridge (on propane) and the furnace.

Re: surge protector vs. EMS, most people seem inclined to spend a few more dollars for the EMS. It offers more safety and reporting features than just the ability to stop working when power surges too high. An EMS will also alert or shut down when power gets too LOW for example, as can happen, or when circuits are not properly grounded or wired, and more. When you've spent thousands on a trailer, spending an extra hundred or two to ensure that it's electrical system and the devices using it are protected is pretty cheap good sense.

The leading producer of these is this company:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/

Another very respected producer is this company:

https://rvpower.southwire.com/

In addition to choosing which of those companies will supply your 30-amp EMS, you'll have to decide whether you want a "hard-wired" unit that is installed inside your trailer's utility area, or a device that hangs outside on the shore power post. Both do the same job. The hard-wired device is more convenient since you don't have to handle it every time you're setting up and taking down camp - you just connect the trailer directly to shore power and the EMS inside protects your systems. It also won't get stolen. The hanging type gets plugged into the power pedestal at the campground, and then you plug the trailer into it.

I've had the Progressive hardwired device for our 50 amp trailer for several years, very pleased with it.

Good luck with your choices.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

We camped many years with out one of these gizwidgets. From advice on the Forum I installed a Progressive hard wired unit inside our Reflection. In the 3 years of use we have not had any electrical problems. The EMS has not shut down power , yet. In all of the years of not having one we did not experience any power issues either. For all of the items that a new owner would buy for there RV this one , someday , may save you from buying a new airconditioner or refrigerator.

This choice you will have to make as you may see a 50 50 split on whether to buy one or not.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

TXBuckeye ,
              One of very first mods to my trailer was the installation of the Progressive EMS. My specific model is not applicable to your 30A unit, but reviewing the install may give you an idea of what's involved. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts

The YouTube couple known as Changing Lanes (GD Ambassadors Chad and Tara) have a few episodes on Electrical Management Systems. Check out https://changinglanesrv.com/rv-power-protection/ and https://changinglanesrv.com/hard-wir...ction-install/

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                We camped many years with out one of these gizwidgets. From advice on the Forum I installed a Progressive hard wired unit inside our Reflection. In the 3 years of use we have not had any electrical problems. The EMS has not shut down power , yet. In all of the years of not having one we did not experience any power issues either. For all of the items that a new owner would buy for there RV this one , someday , may save you from buying a new air conditioner or refrigerator.
                TXBuckeye , Brian's experience is the result of either good luck or a very pure soul.

Our Progressive EMS has protected us several times. My best story is also my scariest story. We had the trailer parked for several months in a private campground but we were only there for 2-3 days per week. We returned a couple of times to a flashing microwave clock but I just wrote it off to power failing in the campground. The third time it happened I decided to check the error codes on our EMS (another benefit of buying an EMS over a simple surge protector.) The error codes indicated an over-voltage problem; when I checked it was IIRC 123 volts. I talked to the manager and a technician was dispatched. Next day the manager proudly told me that everything was OK, that his tech had measured voltage at IIRC 125 volts! He told me like he was proud of it, as though he was giving me more power for my money!!

The EMS was protecting us from device-damaging over-voltage problems - likely even worse than the 125 volts. It has also protected us during brown-outs a couple of times, and from a pedestal problem once. In the same three years that Brian has had no trouble, which tells you something about my black soul.

If you scratch a little you'll easily find others with grateful stories about these things protecting them. Just one damaged microwave or coffeemaker or converter - or all three, or worse - will cost you more than the EMS costs.
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Our progressive EMS has also shut down on one occasion due to low voltage. I believe it saved my AC.

Jim

Comment

We have had the Progressive EMS for several years and it has saved us from low power at 2 campsites, it shut down the system. I think it is well worth the investment in getting the EMS.
                    Vivian
                    2018 Reflection 303rls
                    Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                    Demco Recon

Comment

We also have the Progressive EMS portable unit. I am pretty sure it saved out A/C once already. I didn't want the hardwire one because I want the problem to be stoped outside the trailer. Cheap insurance. Can it be stolen? Yes. If someone really wants it they are going to take it even with the lock.
                      2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                      2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Our first real purchase for our first RV was a 30A hardwired Progressive. The 50A hardwired was in the first order of stuff for the Solitude. We have had one shut down for low power at home during a severe storm. On our former Class C, I planted "Easter eggs" through out for the new owners since some dealers try to "sanitize" them and avoid the new owner from knowing about the former one. I had two conversations with the new owner and then one Saturday night I got a text from the new owner wanting to know if he could call me, and PROBLEM!!. I called him and found out where they were and having been watching the weather knew that they had just gotten slammed. The entire area was out of power and lots of trees down. He had went on generator and had no power. Found out that someone had bumped the breaker in the generator compartment. A couple more calls over the weekend ending up with power back on and no power inside. He called Progressive and found out that it had sacrificed itself. The new owner elected to replace the entire unit. Progressive sent him one, and when they got his back they refunded his purchase. He said that there were several that found out they had been fried. The new owner was a happy camper.
                        As was said, the downside to a plug is keeping it secured, but the upside is you can take it with you to the next one. IIRC if the portable gets sacrificed, you replace the unit whereas with the hardwired you replace a module.
                        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                        Nash County, NC
                        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

These "There I was..." stories on how EMS' saved owners are interesting to read. My EMS has saved me from the most dangerous electrical menace my trailer has every encountered. What is that menace? Ummm, that would (cough) be me.

Twice(!) I connected the power cable wrong by not twisting it on wrong. The EMS caught the problem and refused to pass power to the trailer.

I replaced the power plug with a SmartPlug--it's fool-proof...or maybe better termed "Howard Proof".

Click image for larger version  Name:	smart.JPG Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	41794
                          Last edited by howson; 02-03-2021, 09:15 PM.
                          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson , if we're going with self-inflicted.....

This is what happens when you use a 15amp extension cord, and run your AC for a few days. (It was in my driveway, and I don't have an exterior 30amp outlet)
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	2021-02-03 20_34_47-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	462.2 KB ID:	41841

Imagine my surprise when the power cut off. When I checked the EMS, I found this. Never tested the cord to see what broke, just cut the end off the cord, and tossed it.
                            Mike

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice. I just ordered a portable 30amp ems.
                              Brett and Sharon
                              Reflection 150 series 280 RS 5th Wheel
                              2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LTZ, 6.2 Diesel
                              B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X