Surge Protector or EMS advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mpking View Post
    howson , if we're going with self-inflicted.....

This is what happens when you use a 15amp extension cord, and run your AC for a few days. (It was in my driveway, and I don't have an exterior 30amp outlet)
    Click image for larger version Name:	2021-02-03 20_34_47-Window.png Views:	0 Size:	462.2 KB ID:	41841

Imagine my surprise when the power cut off. When I checked the EMS, I found this. Never tested the cord to see what broke, just cut the end off the cord, and tossed it.
    I just picked up a 2021 2400BH from private seller and he had the AC on in the driveway with 15a. I was dumbfounded as I thought the AC wouldnt run on less than 30a (First rig but been camping since I was 8 with my parents, 4 rigs and Ive always been part of setup and breakdown).

I plugged up to my house with a 12/3 extension and dogbone and it popped on with no problem. Not planning on doing this often but if we are at a state park with limited resources could be run this with a SurgePro "safely".

Love to hear from the peanut gallery on this as well!
    2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things
    2018 Nissan Titan SV 5.6L 4x4 - 3 kids and a co-pilot

Comment

Originally posted by GrandDeal3 View Post

I just picked up a 2021 2400BH from private seller and he had the AC on in the driveway with 15a. I was dumbfounded as I thought the AC wouldnt run on less than 30a (First rig but been camping since I was 8 with my parents, 4 rigs and Ive always been part of setup and breakdown).

I plugged up to my house with a 12/3 extension and dogbone and it popped on with no problem. Not planning on doing this often but if we are at a state park with limited resources could be run this with a SurgePro "safely".

Love to hear from the peanut gallery on this as well!
      Yeah I had this happen once too. The problem is voltage drop. The AC will run on a 15 amp circuit (generally), but if you throw a 50 foot 12 or 14 gauge extension cord on the voltage drop over the length of the cord can cause the current to increase and heat up the cord and plug. The best solution here short of a 30 amp outlet is to run the factory 30 amp 10 gauge cord and use a 30 amp 10 gauge extension if needed. Adapt it to 15 amps right at the outlet, so most of the run is with larger wire and you will have less voltage drop. Also keep an eye on the ends of your cords, if they build up "crud" or corrosion, that will cause you issues as well.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The other key to running the ac on 15 amp connection is to keep the fan on low and not auto and do not run anything else when the compressor is running. We do this quite often at a few of the State Parks we visit frequently. As always YMMV.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Yeah I had this happen once too. The problem is voltage drop. The AC will run on a 15 amp circuit (generally), but if you throw a 50 foot 12 or 14 gauge extension cord on the voltage drop over the length of the cord can cause the current to increase and heat up the cord and plug. The best solution here short of a 30 amp outlet is to run the factory 30 amp 10 gauge cord and use a 30 amp 10 gauge extension if needed. Adapt it to 15 amps right at the outlet, so most of the run is with larger wire and you will have less voltage drop. Also keep an eye on the ends of your cords, if they build up "crud" or corrosion, that will cause you issues as well.
          So the factory 10ga/30a to the 10ga Dogbone right to the outlet. what do you think about 12ga extension to a 1ft 15a male/30a female locking? Or am in just back to the same...
          2021 GD Imagine 2400BH - Hensley hitch, Levelmate Pro, TPMS, Furrion back up and a few other things

Comment

So the factory 10ga/30a to the 10ga Dogbone right to the outlet. what do you think about 12ga extension to a 1ft 15a male/30a female locking? Or am in just back to the same...
            I do this but with a short 50 to 15 amp dogbone. The 12ga cord is much easier to get out and use than the heavy 50 amp cord. I also try to keep cord length short , I think the one is use is 25 feet or less. It is also a good idea not to coil up a longer cord , this will for sure cause heat build up which is the enemy.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Yeah I am with Brian here. If its going to be much more than 25 foot you are better off running the factory cord all the way to the outlet. The 30 amps cord is not that much worse than a quality 12 gauge cord. Sure beats the 50 amp lol.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

The best solution here short of a 30 amp outlet is to run the factory 30 amp 10 gauge cord and use a 30 amp 10 gauge extension if needed. Adapt it to 15 amps right at the outlet, so most of the run is with larger wire and you will have less voltage drop.
                I have also been able to run my AC on 15A by doing just what Neil describes. Run a 30A cord and adapt to 15A right at the outlet.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

I do this but with a short 50 to 15 amp dogbone. The 12ga cord is much easier to get out and use than the heavy 50 amp cord. I also try to keep cord length short , I think the one is use is 25 feet or less. It is also a good idea not to coil up a longer cord , this will for sure cause heat build up which is the enemy.

Brian
                  Got it. This would be mostly for house before a trip (run the fridge to get cold night/day before, AC on while loading as wife doesn't like to be hot) but I want to have flexibility at certain state parks as well.

You mention keeping fan on low and not low auto. Ours has the options of low (constant on) or low auto (kicking on only when compressor is on). Which do you mean for this?

Also, would the Surge Pro be advised for this even with low amperage/voltage?

Comment

We generally just keep the fan on low so it is one less thing that is cycling. Keeping on low is also helpful on humid days , which I have learned the hardway. I am not sure about the Surge Pro but my shore power connection is run thru my hardwired EMS , any connection I make goes thru this and I have not had any issues , The Surge Pro may be different , you will have to try or call the company to get their thoughts.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Im using the Surge Guard 44280 that was gifted to us by the prior owners. I had already purchased the model down (44260) from that and will just return it as this one offers a littler more options.

Comment

GrandDeal3 We have run many different r. v. a/c units on a standard house receptacle over the years without issue. We check the voltage first to ensure it is not low to start, also check the temp of plug and wire regularly as well as being cautious what we run with the a/c. We never leave it unattended however due to possible issues, and do not feel it is good practice on a regular basis. We always have an inline surge protector in the circuit these days (older and wiser) though it is a simple "Surge Guard". I guess in the past we have been lucky like Country Camper and have never had an issue that caused damage and have traveled through about 40 states over the years though did notice more voltage variance as we traveled east, perhaps due to many camps being more vintage than many out west. As for how much voltage is too much I do not know, others may. Our house voltage runs 123 volts all of the time and have not had issues with house or r.v. appliance and equipment. Nearby lighting strikes are a terror on all electrical equipment in the summer, we unhook the r.v. when big storms are nearby and do the same at home with sensitive stuff.

Dave
                        flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

I've done this as well but there are levels of capability for the adapters. One with a minimum of 10/3 wire would be best. My dad melted one that looked similar to this model.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...3015ARDVP.html

Better example to handle 20amp to 30amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Gener...7043437&sr=8-3

Camped at Petoskey state park where the outlets were listed as 20 amp.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2021, 01:46 PM.

Comment

So about that photo with the plug (It's my photo)

It was the almost worst case scenario:
                            • New Owner who didn't know better (Me)
                            • 50 feet of 12gauge 15amp exension cord
                            • AC (plus other things) running 24/7 for the better part of 1 week. (We just turned it on when we unloaded, and we were going out again the next weekend, so we just left if on)
                            • 100 deg weather during said week.
                            I only checked the plug when the surgeguard disconnected me due to either the ground or the neutral melting thru the plug. Of course it was hot to the touch.

I've changed my ways for the better, but not for the best. (I should get a 30amp extension cord, but I didn't think of it till I read ncitro 's comment.)
                            • I use a 20amp / 25ft powercord. I use a 20amp to 30amp adaptor at the end of the extension cord. (Outdoor outlet is a 20amp)
                            • I don't run the A/C unless I'm actively loading the unit
                            • I check the power cord from time to time to see how warm it is.
                            I think the final solution (as of this afternoon) is to get a 30amp extension cord, and go 30 to 20amp at the house outlet.
                            Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                              I've done this as well but there are levels of capability for the adapters. One with a minimum of 10/3 wire would be best. My dad melted one that looked similar to this model.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Plug-Ada...3015ARDVP.html

Better example to handle 20amp to 30amp.

https://www.amazon.com/Conntek-Gener...7043437&sr=8-3

Camped at Petoskey state park where the outlets were listed as 20 amp.

Jim
                              Here's the 20amp to 30amp one I use:
                              https://amzn.to/3u48yrZ
                              Very similar to the one you posted.
                              Mike
                              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

If you do the 20A to 30A adapter, ensure you have a plug that will take the 20A adapter as one of the male lugs is 90° from the others.Not all receptacles are capable of taking the 20A plugs.
                                Joseph
                                Tow
                                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                                X