Surge Protector or EMS advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    If you do the 20A to 30A adapter, ensure you have a plug that will take the 20A adapter as one of the male lugs is 90° from the others.Not all receptacles are capable of taking the 20A plugs.
    Good call. For the 15amp to 30amp I look for at least a 10/3 wire which will handle 30amp as well. This way if there is an issue, the breaker (both RV and home) will protect the system rather than the adapter burning up.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
      Our progressive EMS has also shut down on one occasion due to low voltage. I believe it saved my AC.

Jim
      Same here... during a few days/nights on Cape Cod, which has a horribly under-capacity power grid during the summer months, my TT's EMS cut the power to keep the A/C from getting damaged.

One other thing to consider beyond surges and sags are the spikes... very short duration (fraction of a second) but large (can be several hundred volts or more) increases in the line voltage. I have seen the damage caused by voltage spikes, some caused by lightning, and it can be instantaneous or latent. If instantaneous, you will know it happened very soon after the "hit". Latent damage will become evident at a later time, and is just as annoying and expensive.

Comment

For those wonder how much current (amperes) and/or power (watts) is being drawn by an appliance, here is a great tool that will help: http://reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?THP103

Comment

Working...
        X