2670 hardwire surge protector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2670 hardwire surge protector

Hi all; Just wondering if anyone has installed a 50 amp hardwired surge protector into a 2670mk? How was the install, easy or hard? Thanks

Bubbajim 6 months later, did you ever get on with this project? I just finished doing this on our new trailer and it took maybe three hours. I can send pictures if you're still interested.
    Al & Ann
    F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
    Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

I would be interested in your pictures if you still have them. I'll see if I can send you a PM as well.
      2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
      2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

humunuku -- I know this thread (and your post) is a bit old, but if you still have the pics and can remember the details, please do a write-up (mod) on the install so it can be included in the Modifications channel's spreadsheet.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

howson

​​​​​​​I have three pictures to show you.
          • The first is looking through the drawer holes after the drawers are removed
          • The second shows the location where I mounted the surge protector
          • The third is is a closeup of the surge protector after installation and operation.
          The installation was very easy. The most difficult part was cutting the existing power feed. I purchased a pair of lineman cutters. They are heavy-duty wire cutters for larger cables
          The feed from the outside connector to the fuse box had a large loop provided by Grand Design. I cut the loop almost in half. This provided enough cable to feed the top of the surge protector from the outside connector
          This left enough cable to connect from the bottom of the surge protector to the fuse box.

There is a minimum radius for the cable which I accommodated on the bottom of the surge protector. The top was no problem.
          First I cut a 1/2" thick plywood board and checked the fit between the external plug furnace box.

Before mounting the plywood to the wall, I mounted the surge protector to the board with stove bolts from the back and glued them to the plywood
          If I ever need to replace surge protector, all I need to do is remove the nuts from the front and the threaded studs will be available for replacement.

The wires are very heavy and stiff. So I connected them to the surge protector before putting the assembly in place.
          When I bolted the plywood with all assembled pieces to the wall I added some construction adhesive.
          This was for assurance nothing would move due to stress from the cables or the bouncing from the road.

I have had no issue with heat and I can hear the unit kick on 2 minutes after connecting to shore power. Also, according to my wife it is easier to look for the microwave clock.
          I love the security of having the unit inside my rig instead on exposed at the power outlet.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know
          Last edited by humunuku; 02-08-2022, 07:58 PM. Reason: Added notification to Moderator
          Al & Ann
          F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
          Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

humunuku (Al)--perfect! I'll add this thread to the Modification List.

Lhinaz71 -- hope you stop back and see Al's post (above).

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Al.
              2022 Ford F250 XLT FX4
              2022 Imagine 2670MK

Comment

Originally posted by humunuku View Post
                howson

The wires are very heavy and stiff. So I connected them to the surge protector before putting the assembly in place.
                When I bolted the plywood with all assembled pieces to the wall I added some construction adhesive.
                This was for assurance nothing would move due to stress from the cables or the bouncing from the road.

Thanks for the good information, thinking of doing the same thing.

Since that's an exterior wall, how did you bolt the plywood base to it? ...or do you think the adhesive is talking most of the load?

Scott
                Scott.n.Tira are from Vegas.
                2021 GD 2670MK
                2012 F250 LB 4wd 6.2

Comment

Scott.n.Tira In the end, there was less tension on the cables than I thought there might be. I did not attempt to locate aluminum frame members. The screws held the backer until the glue dried. When I did a dry fit, the surge protector and backer almost stood in place by itself. Even though the interior wall is a type of laminate, I suspect the glue is doing most of the work. We have put 3,000 miles on the rig since this upgrade with no issues and everything looks and feels solid.
                  Al & Ann
                  F150 with Max Tow Pkg.
                  Imagine 2670MK (2021)

Comment

Originally posted by Scott.n.Tira View Post

Thanks for the good information, thinking of doing the same thing.

Since that's an exterior wall, how did you bolt the plywood base to it? ...or do you think the adhesive is talking most of the load?

Scott
                    If in a 2670 MK you’re better off mounting the hardwired surge protector in the bottom of the hanging closet above the power panel. The ems pc boards are usually replaceable and will burn out overtime so leaving it accessible in the closet verse the floor of the furnace bay (as the other person pictured here) might be Worth considering

Comment

Working...
                    X