Is this enough generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this enough generator?

Can I power my Transcend 221RB with this generator? If so, what should I know?

Attached Files
    Last edited by BillinTexas; 02-14-2021, 08:28 AM.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

According to Google
    https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...tor/p1048.html

It's a 4300 starting, 3800 running watt generator.
    16A amp output.
    Honda Motor (that's really good)
    sorta loud (72 dB, or a vacuum cleaner)
    150lbs (this is really heavy)

I don't know how many appliances you have, but you could definitely run your rig with it, but you might have to pick and choose which appliances you have powered on (Power Management). IE, I don't think you could have the AC, Fridge, and Microwave running at the same time. You might have to switch the AC off to turn on the Microwave. If you had two AC's, you would not be able to turn both on.
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
      According to Google
      https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...tor/p1048.html

It's a 4300 starting, 3800 running watt generator.
      16A amp output.
      Honda Motor (that's really good)
      sorta loud (72 dB, or a vacuum cleaner)
      150lbs (this is really heavy)

I don't know how many appliances you have, but you could definitely run your rig with it, but you might have to pick and choose which appliances you have powered on (Power Management). IE, I don't think you could have the AC, Fridge, and Microwave running at the same time. You might have to switch the AC off to turn on the Microwave. If you had two AC's, you would not be able to turn both on.
      Thanks, Mike. I'm only going to run it if we lose power during this extreme (to us) cold in Central Texas so no AC to worry about. Fortunately the only near neighbor is not there much. It is loud but if I remember right, it isn't terrible. These are/were used by building contractors a lot when power wasn't available.
      Bill & Cindy
      2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
      SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
        I use this for our home generator and have hooked the 22MLE to it to see what it would run.As Mike stated above, you will need to pick and choose.
        Not sure of the price of the one you linked but why not buy an inverter model if you are going open frame?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CHAMPION...kEW9RRpyQNoSo0

Robert and Chris
        2021 XLS 22MLE (somewhat factory stock)
        2018 Silverado 1500 Z71 Crew Cab

Comment

Making the assumption you have a 30A service not a 50A. 3800 watts / 120v = 31 amps. With your trailer being a 30 amp service it should run it just fine. Be aware of trying to fun AC and HWH at the same time as its a bit hard on the generator ( i have a 3500 watt unit). I ran our 23ft keystone from a 30 amp generator boon docking while hunting. Also pay attention to how much stuff is running at one time.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Sorry, not just trying to dump on your plan but...

- A quick google shows that it's a discontinued product.

- A quick google does NOT confirm that it's an inverter generator (it may be, but it doesn't jump out of the first hits I saw). You REALLY want an inverter generator to make it easier on your appliances and other electrical equipment.

- It's REALLY noisy, not campground-friendly. Unless you plan only boondocking, and want to live with the noise yourself...

- It's pretty heavy.

Just my opinions, good luck with your choices.
            Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I should have stated I already own this generator and have for many years though likely less than 24 hrs run time on it. . I started to give the I bought it before Hurricane Ike story but decided to get to the point. I'm not looking to buy one. I wanted to know in case we lose electricity during this icy weather we are having. We're not use to this in Central Texas. Thanks everyone.
              Bill & Cindy
              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
              SE Texas

Comment

I should have stated I already own this generator and have for many years though likely less than 24 hrs run time on it. . I started to give the I bought it before Hurricane Ike story but decided to get to the point. I'm not looking to buy one. I wanted to know in case we lose electricity during this icy weather we are having. We're not use to this in Central Texas. Thanks everyone.
                If it's not an inverter generator, consider unplugging everything 120V and only briefly plugging in what you can't do without while the generator is running. Your converter will suffer some abuse but you likely want to leave that plugged in.

Do you know about bonding plugs? Here's a page describing something you might run into, especially if you have a good EMS in your trailer.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Originally posted by boyscout View Post

If it's not an inverter generator, consider unplugging everything 120V and only briefly plugging in what you can't do without while the generator is running. Your converter will suffer some abuse but you likely want to leave that plugged in.

Do you know about bonding plugs? Here's a page describing something you might run into, especially if you have a good EMS in your trailer.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...onding-basics/
                  Thanks, I will look at the article. All I'm wanting to keep going is heat. I don't have onboard EMS but a Progressive Industries 30 AMP model. Thanks again.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

The unit you've posted is a contractor grade unit which will be loud. There are many inverter units out there that will be quiet and may have an eco mode to throttle down for low loads which makes them extremely quiet. We use a Champion remote electric start 3500 watt model which has performed well. Ours runs on gasoline which is not an issue for us since I used a suitable plastic can that is held in place in the bed of the truck. Propane units (dual fuel) are also available but will operate at less output due to the lower energy content of propane versus gasoline. Just a matter of preference.

Champion Power Equipment 3500W Remote-Start Inverter | Cabela's

Jim

Comment

Thanks, I will look at the article. All I'm wanting to keep going is heat. I don't have onboard EMS but a Progressive Industries 30 AMP model. Thanks again.
                      As described in that linked article your EMS may not want to pass power from the generator to the trailer; the generator might have a floating ground. In that case a bonding plug plugged into the generator will make the EMS happy and power fill flow to the trailer.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

The unit you've posted is a contractor grade unit which will be loud. There are many inverter units out there that will be quiet and may have an eco mode to throttle down for low loads which makes them extremely quiet. We use a Champion remote electric start 3500 watt model which has performed well. Ours runs on gasoline which is not an issue for us since I used a suitable plastic can that is held in place in the bed of the truck. Propane units (dual fuel) are also available but will operate at less output due to the lower energy content of propane versus gasoline. Just a matter of preference.

Champion Power Equipment 3500W Remote-Start Inverter | Cabela's

Jim
                        Originally posted by boyscout View Post

As described in that linked article your EMS may not want to pass power from the generator to the trailer; the generator might have a floating ground. In that case a bonding plug plugged into the generator will make the EMS happy and power fill flow to the trailer.

Good luck.
                        Jim and Mark, thanks so much for the references. I may purchase an inverter at some point for emergency use on trips. We don't boon-dock and our destinations normally have reliable power sources but you never know.

I'm a retired building contractor and the generator I have was a very reliable and commonly used on job sites where power wasn't available immediately. Residential construction situations. I purchased it from a local rental company prior to a hurricane in the mid 2000s in case I lost house power. I have looked for the company and knew they were not in business anymore or perhaps were bought out and the generator re-branded. I have less than 48 hrs of run time on it. I was curious about running my RV in case we were to lose power in my home for an extended time. The current extended cold weather we are experiencing is both record breaking and extremely unusual so that was my concern. We are nearing the end, thank God.

The video was helpful and I do have the plug with the lights to test the generator. I have already placed the Neutral/Ground bonding plug in my cart at Amazon so I will have it.

It has been a learning experience on different levels owning the RV. FTR, It has a single 15K AC unit which is great for our little 221RB.

Take care.

Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Folks - here is a thread with post #1 from TucsonJim explaining with pictures of how to make your own bonding plug as referenced by Mark in his posts #8 and #11.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...on-a-generator

Dan
                          Dan & Carol
                          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Thanks for the link, Dan. I'm heading to Lowe's in a bit and will look at those.

One last question about using this generator. What type adapter do I need for this type of plug configuration which is the 30 AMP on this generator?

Attached Files
                            Bill & Cindy
                            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                            SE Texas

Comment

According to the internet, the plugs are:Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-02-19 093852.png
Views:	536
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	43329

So I would buy the following:
                              Mike
                              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Working...
                              X