50A Socket Cover Won't Stay Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50A Socket Cover Won't Stay Closed

I have searched both forums and cannot find a discussion on this. I have the 50 AMP socket/receptacle ON THE TRAILER and the cover will not stay closed. It tab on the socket frame and the indent on the cover, it clicks when pushed on and then right away pops open. I passed an Imagine on the way home yesterday and his shore power receptacle cover was open as well. Has anyone encountered this and developed a solution? Other than forget about it.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Ours has been seen in the mirror as being open and then blamed on the operator , me of course. Other times I can swear the I had closed it and seen it open again on the road. After pulling over and "latching" shut it has not been seen open again on the trip. This has happened a couple times but has never popped open after I had closed it. Maybe the tab is just wore out and you need a new RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
      I have searched both forums and cannot find a discussion on this. I have the 50 AMP socket/receptacle ON THE TRAILER and the cover will not stay closed. It tab on the socket frame and the indent on the cover, it clicks when pushed on and then right away pops open. I passed an Imagine on the way home yesterday and his shore power receptacle cover was open as well. Has anyone encountered this and developed a solution? Other than forget about it.
      Maybe the frame of the outlet is torqued too tight to the camper, warping the case? It's a very easy removal and install. Be very judicious when tightening back down--very little torque is needed to secure it to the camper.

Or...if it drives you nuts...replace it. GD may send you a replacement if you ask (and are willing to do it yourself). Or replace it with something better like the SmartPlug. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Maybe the frame of the outlet is torqued too tight to the camper, warping the case? It's a very easy removal and install. Be very judicious when tightening back down--very little torque is needed to secure it to the camper.

Or...if it drives you nuts...replace it. GD may send you a replacement if you ask (and are willing to do it yourself). Or replace it with something better like the SmartPlug. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts
        OurNewEra

If you loosen/tighten the mounting screws to try and adjust this fit, pull the screws out and dip them in silicone before reinstalling. Tightening exterior attachment screws for anything, can break the water seal (that should be there in the first place) and can create a small opening that could become a water leak into the wall structure.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
        X