120 ac Power while stored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 ac Power while stored?

Should I keep the RV connected to 110 power thru the winter while in storage? Or should I just leave the battery disconnected and all is fine after a few months of winter?
    Last edited by Country Campers; 02-22-2021, 06:09 PM. Reason: Made title better for searching

Originally posted by WTilley View Post
    Should I keep the RV connected to 110 power thru the winter while in storage? Or should I just leave the battery disconnected and all is fine after a few months of winter?
    There are a few things to note when storing.

Keeping the ac power attached will help keep the battery charged but you will want to check the water level in the battery and keep it at the proper level.

If you disconnect the battery by the key switch it will not remove all of the draw from the battery if not hooked to shore power , it is best to disconnect the positive or negative cable from the battery for true disconnect.

If you wish to remain connected to shore power the battery disconnect key should be left on , the battery may not receive charge if the disconnect is in the off position.

I would recommend to not attach to shore power and disconnect the battery cables , this will leave no power to the RV.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Great, Thank You!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTilley View Post
        Further to the info from BrianCountry Campers in post 2 . . .

There is a safety aspect to storage with shore power disconnected and a completely disconnected battery. No electrical power to anything in the RV. No potential damage from a power surge and so on.
        ​​​​​​​
        A completely disconnected lead/acid battery has a "self discharge" rate of less than 5% per month. Considerably less in cold storage. So if you start with a fully charged battery, after storage for 3 or 4 months, the battery will still likely be above 85% state of charge.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

During my walkthrough, the individual told us not to worry about disconnecting or removing the batteries over the winter and that the solar panel will keep them charged. I've always removed the batteries and kept them in my garage to avoid freezing. It's got 2 - 6V Batts. It will not likely be used until March or April. Any thoughts on best practices to preserve the battery life?
          2022 Reflection 28BH
          2011 Ford F350 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by KelschCamper View Post
            During my walkthrough, the individual told us not to worry about disconnecting or removing the batteries over the winter and that the solar panel will keep them charged. I've always removed the batteries and kept them in my garage to avoid freezing. It's got 2 - 6V Batts. It will not likely be used until March or April. Any thoughts on best practices to preserve the battery life?
            If you have the batteries removed and at home you could get a trickle charger to keep them at charge or even just a battery charger either one make sure it is compatible with your 6 v batteries. Once fully charged they should be fine thru the winter season but you may want to keep an eye on them.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you don't have a 6vDC battery charger, connect them in series leaving one + and one - to connect to a 12vDC charger. 2 - 6vDC connected in series would be about the equivalent weight and length of something like an 8D, but much easier to handle.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

KelschCamper

A charged and disconnected lead acid battery has a freeze temperature below -50F. Just fully charge the batteries and disconnect them . . . they will be fine.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X