No announcement yet.

Tire Linc Prep Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you, we’ll be in touch with CS when we get the invoice in from our repairman.

Now that I’ve gotten to use it a little bit, Tire Linc is a great product. I didn’t know it was prepped for it when I bought the coach, it would have been another great selling point. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by AddingToTheMap View Post
      thank you, we’ll be in touch with CS when we get the invoice in from our repairman.

Now that I’ve gotten to use it a little bit, Tire Linc is a great product. I didn’t know it was prepped for it when I bought the coach, it would have been another great selling point. Thanks for your help!
      Glad to hear! Thank you for the update!

Comment

@GDRV-Brittany - just to add to this conversation, I picked up my 22RBE Feb 19 and purchased the Tire Linc kit soon thereafter. When I plugged the module into the "prepped" receiver there was no green light indicating power to the unit. I found this thread and after seeing the pictures from @AddingToTheMap I figured I would check out my unit to see if I had a similar wiring issue. Sure enough, the wires behind the solar prep box were neatly coiled up and taped up but not connected. See photo. If this is supposed to be a factory prep, and if this is supposed to be plug and play - WRT the TireLinc, someone is missing an important step in wiring this system properly. Does GD have any plan to issue "official" instructions for current owners to properly fix this problem? And ensure it is no longer a problem for future owners? I guess what I really want to know - is the solution posted by @AddingToTheMap the correct (and safe) solution to this problem?
        Kevin & Angela
        2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
        2012 F150 Lariat w/ Ecoboost 2x4

Comment

Originally posted by 19hokie81 View Post
          @GDRV-Brittany - just to add to this conversation, I picked up my 22RBE Feb 19 and purchased the Tire Linc kit soon thereafter. When I plugged the module into the "prepped" receiver there was no green light indicating power to the unit. I found this thread and after seeing the pictures from @AddingToTheMap I figured I would check out my unit to see if I had a similar wiring issue. Sure enough, the wires behind the solar prep box were neatly coiled up and taped up but not connected. See photo. If this is supposed to be a factory prep, and if this is supposed to be plug and play - WRT the TireLinc, someone is missing an important step in wiring this system properly. Does GD have any plan to issue "official" instructions for current owners to properly fix this problem? And ensure it is no longer a problem for future owners? I guess what I really want to know - is the solution posted by @AddingToTheMap the correct (and safe) solution to this problem?
          OK, so I have to admit I have egg on my face on this one. I finally got back out to my trailer to work on the TireLinc system. What I ultimately discovered was that there was a piece of tape over the contacts of the pre-installed module in the trailer. Needless to say - once I removed that tape the unit worked perfectly. I'll note the piece of tape had a nice little note on it - Remove before installing sending unit - or something like that. Sigh - if only my poor old eyes had been able to see that earlier... LOL. So anyone else having an issue - look for that tape and save yourself a lot of trouble!

Kevin & Angela
          2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
          2012 F150 Lariat w/ Ecoboost 2x4

Comment

Glad I saw/read this thread. I just received my Tire Linc module and have not yet tried to see if it powers up (after removing the clear tape over the contact points ). I was going to wait until just before my first trip this spring to do that, but maybe I won't wait too long unless I have more complicated issues. I've already installed a solar panel/controller in there (with a disconnect switch for the solar panel). I'm curious if my disconnect switch will impact that specific circuit. Anyone know if the TireLinc works with the battery disconnect off?
            2021 Imagine 2970RL
            2021 F-250 (7.3L Godzilla V8)

Comment

Originally posted by 19hokie81 View Post

OK, so I have to admit I have egg on my face on this one. I finally got back out to my trailer to work on the TireLinc system. What I ultimately discovered was that there was a piece of tape over the contacts of the pre-installed module in the trailer. Needless to say - once I removed that tape the unit worked perfectly. I'll note the piece of tape had a nice little note on it - Remove before installing sending unit - or something like that. Sigh - if only my poor old eyes had been able to see that earlier... LOL. So anyone else having an issue - look for that tape and save yourself a lot of trouble!
              Nothing like a little "egg" served with good humor. We all have done at least that bad or worse. Thanks for posting the results , it may have helped Midwest Expectations already.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We just picked up our 2500RL yesterday, expecting to put the TPMS sensors on before going home. No joy, the dock is "pre-wired", but not actually hooked up to those little electrons. No information is available from Grand Design on making this "plug-and-play" system work. After an hour under the trailer checking for blown fuses, pulling the docking station off of the wall, checking the wire connectors (nearly impossible to pull back through the sloppy punched hole), and tracing wires through wire looms back to the universal docking station, I tracked the problem down. The black cover labelled Solar / Inv (erter) behind the docking station at the top of the pass through contains two pairs of wires that are capped off. One set comes from the inverter and supplies battery and ground, the other pair goes to the Tire Linc, then possibly up to the roof for solar hookup. I bought yellow wire nuts for Lowes, and cut and stripped the red and black wires, connecting like color to like. Now I have a working TPMS.

I wish I'd seen this thread before spending this time for something GD should have documented, or built correctly, instead of an after-though. How a hole saw is slower than the smashed hole, I'll never know, but the extra time and frustration I spent pulling this pair of connectors back through the wall, definitely isn't worth it. One should contemplate if it's worth the time and effort to re-install this product.
                Andy & Sherry
                2021 2500RL w/ Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
                2020 Ford Raptor w/ custom Deaver springs

Comment

-- more feedback on this issue from a recent new owner (see post 22).

I hope the Imagine team is getting this information and taking corrective action on the assembly line. If the unit must come wired as described in AndyBaum 's post, an instruction sheet on how to power up the Tire Linc is the minimum Grand Design should do for the customer (IMHO).

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                    -- more feedback on this issue from a recent new owner (see post 22).

I hope the Imagine team is getting this information and taking corrective action on the assembly line. If the unit must come wired as described in AndyBaum 's post, an instruction sheet on how to power up the Tire Linc is the minimum Grand Design should do for the customer (IMHO).

Howard
                    I spoke with the product manager regarding this. Here is the information I have regarding the prep of the Tire Linc system.

Imagines are only “prepped” for the Tire Linc. We install the prep in the front of the pass-through wall. It is directly connected to a 12V wire. If a customer wants to have the complete setup, they would have to order it via a dealership. LCI then sends the completed kit. This kit has the necessary parts to complete the system. The key items will be the “brain” of the system that plugs directly in the shroud we supply. There’s also four valve sensors that install on the tires…they Bluetooth into our Compass Connect app or the hand held monitor that comes with the kit. It has nothing to do with the 10 gauge solar prep wiring we also install on every unit.

Attached is the Tire Linc Quick Start Guide along with the owner’s manual. The following is a Video that we worked on with LCI to help with setup:

https://youtu.be/pTPVv3ghsU0

AndyBaum did you order the kit for the tire linc system?

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Brittany View Post
                      I spoke with the product manager regarding this. Here is the information I have regarding the prep of the Tire Linc system.
                      Hi Brittany,
                      I may not have communicated clearly. The owner was not looking for the additional pieces to make the system complete, he was looking for power at the "prepped" part. As documented in his post, it wasn't hooked up. There's a disconnect (literally!) between what the Imagine manager thinks is happening and what is actually happening on the assembly line.

Please read post #22 and post #13 again. Two different owners with the same problem--no power to the "prepped" component provided by Grand Design.

I hope you know I'm not "throwing stones", just trying to help...

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hi Brittany,
                        I may not have communicated clearly. The owner was not looking for the additional pieces to make the system complete, he was looking for power at the "prepped" part. As documented in his post, it wasn't hooked up. There's a disconnect (literally!) between what the Imagine manager thinks is happening and what is actually happening on the assembly line.

Please read post #22 and post #13 again. Two different owners with the same problem--no power to the "prepped" component provided by Grand Design.

I hope you know I'm not "throwing stones", just trying to help...

Howard
                        Okay, the issue is no power. Let me get back with the product manager and I will update you. Thanks!

Comment

"Make that THREE new owners" with no power at the docking station...
                          I purchased my 2021 2400BH 15MAR21. Crawled all over Youtube looking for the part number for the OEM Tire Link kit (without docking station because my camper is "prepped" with the docking station....BTW, that Grand Design Part Number is 450149. It is around $110 verses the over $250 retail version (with the docking station).
                          I have the same problem, no 12V at the docking station...using a VOM (with the tape removed )
                          This thread is most helpful (and a little disturbing too).
                          Just for sake of reference, I am a Electrical Engineer, so pretty sure I know exactly what I am looking at. This docking station is going to pull less that 1 amp of power, and first off, shouldnt be connected to a 15A line in the first place. Second, it should be switched inside the pass-through - otherwise it will be on all the time, and will act as a battery parasite.
                          As a quick fix, I would suggest wiring the positive lead (red) of the docking station to the outside blue decorative LED light switch inside the pass-through: you will only need the TPMS repeater while you are driving or checking out pressures. If you know the TPMS Repeater comes on with the outside front lighting, you can switch it off and save your battery (this little repeater would drain the battery inside of five days by itself if not charged, and since you are talking about connecting it forward of the battery cut-off switch, it will drain it regardless of whether you have that switch On or Off)....
                          The ideal solution is to add a switch for the TPMS (and increase the MSRP by $30).
                          Either way, connecting the leads to the Solar input wires at the factory is just plain ALARMING to me. What happens to the repeater when the customer wires in a 24V or 48V solar array on the roof????
                          I am not trying to be trouble here - I LOVE my camper, and I am pleased beyond belief at the workmanship so far. Please FIX this little problem that slipped through!

Comment

Well this thread got me thinking about my "TireLinc Prep" as well so I just went out and metered the docking station (tape removed) and discovered there is no voltage on the dock.....I will investigate further tomorrow but was disappointed to see that I am having the same issue that so many others have reported. I agree with Casepoth that tapping into the Solar prep wiring is not the best solution and should be tied to a dedicated 12vdc source down stream of the battery disconnect or on a switched circuit. I can take care of this myself as I am also an electrical/mechanical engineer by trade but am disappointed that I have to basically do something that is advertised as a selling point of the trailer and should have already been done.
                            Jeff and Debbie
                            2021 Imagine 2250RK
                            2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                            USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Casepoth View Post
                              "Make that THREE new owners" with no power at the docking station...
                              Crawled all over Youtube looking for the part number for the OEM Tire Link kit (without docking station because my camper is "prepped" with the docking station....BTW, that Grand Design Part Number is 450149. It is around $110 verses the over $250 retail version (with the docking station).
                              Where did you get the GD price for the OEM TireLinc kit? I just want to be prepared when I call my selling dealership to get a price quote in case they try to sell it to me for $250.
                              Jeff and Debbie
                              2021 Imagine 2250RK
                              2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                              USMC Veteran

Comment

-- two more reports of the same issue (posts 27 and 28). I am not an engineer like Casepoth but I understand his point. Please pass his post to the team.

Casepoth -- welcome to Grand Design's Owners' (technical) forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Comment

Working...
                                X