Tire Linc Prep Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post
    -- two more reports of the same issue (posts 27 and 28). I am not an engineer like Casepoth but I understand his point. Please pass his post to the team.

Casepoth -- welcome to Grand Design's Owners' (technical) forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
    Thanks Howard! We’re looking into this and as soon as we have updates, we will let you know. In the meantime, if anyone has concerns, please reach out to our customer support team at 574-825-9679 or customerservice@granddesignrv.com. Thank you!

Comment

So I dug into this a bit deeper this morning and confirmed what others had posted that GD wired the TireLinc dock to the incoming solar prep wiring. Here are pictures I took showing the Tirelinc wiring connected to the 10AWG incoming solar wiring from the roof. In order for the TireLinc to receive power, you have to splice the ends of the 10AWG wire coming from the roof to the 10AWG wires going straight to the battery under the "Solar Prep" cover.

A couple of noted concerns about this:

1. The TireLinc is wired directly to the solar panel feed from the roof. I could understand this if it were hooked to the output of the solar charge controller but it is not. The output voltage of a solar panel or array of panels is not going to be 12vdc. It will vary greatly based on available sunlight but can and will greatly exceed 12vdc when operational. For example: the opitmum operating voltage of a 175W Monocrystalline panel is 17.95VDC but can operate as high as 21.6VDC. The TireLinc documentation does not specify the operating range but only specifies a 12VDC source with an inline fuse of 15A max.

2. In the current configuration, it will be powered on 24/7 and would be a parasitic draw on the battery when not on shore power and would kill the battery in short order if left connected.

Recommendation: Similar to the the "backup camera prep", I would suggest that this is tied to the running lights so that it is only powered on while the vehicle is connected and the running lights are on. My only concern is, I would want to confirm what the power consumption is of the TireLinc repeater is to ensure the running light circuitry can handle the added load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4850.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	48326
      Attached Files
      Jeff and Debbie
      2021 Imagine 2250RK
      2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
      USMC Veteran

Comment

Heavysledz (Jeff),
        Thanks for the verification.

I've been communicating with Brittany offline and GD is aware of the situation. For any customers that may have a concern with their trailer associated with this issue, please contact Grand Design Customer Service.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          Heavysledz (Jeff),
          Thanks for the verification.

I've been communicating with Brittany offline and GD is aware of the situation. For any customers that may have a concern with their trailer associated with this issue, please contact Grand Design Customer Service.

Howard
          Thanks Howard...I have already addressed the issue on my trailer in lieu of waiting/hoping the GD would do anything about it. I basically removed the Wago connectors all together and soldered and butt spliced the 10AWG solar prep wires together so there are now continuous cables from the roof top junction box all the way to the solar prep/Inverter cover plate behind the docking station without any unions or connectors.

I found that the 12vdc source for not only the front cap LED lights but also the USB ports in the bedroom cubbies is located behind the front wall and where all spliced together. So I ended up reusing the 3 position Wago connectors to splice into the +12vdc and ground to power the TireLinc dock.

I didn't like the idea of this being powered all of the time so I put a SPST illuminated switch on the +12vdc leg so I could turn it on before heading out and then turn it off once we set up camp.

Name:	IMG_4856.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	48386

Name:	IMG_4857.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	48387
          Jeff and Debbie
          2021 Imagine 2250RK
          USMC Veteran

Comment

Edit: If you encounter this situation please follow the advice previously documented to contact Grand Design Customer Service.

Thank you!

Howard
            Last edited by howson; 03-31-2021, 12:04 PM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Moderator Note: If you encounter this situation, please contact GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 with your VIN number. Please do this even if you've already implemented your own fix.

Thanks.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie
              2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
              GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
              GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                Moderator Note: If you encounter this situation, please contact GDRV customer service at 574-825-9679 with your VIN number. Please do this even if you've already implemented your own fix.

Thanks.

Jim
                Thanks Jim....I will give them a call. Is there anyone in particular we should ask to speak with that is already aware of this issue so I don't have to go thru the process of explaining it from the beginning with someone unfamiliar with the issue?
                Jeff and Debbie
                2021 Imagine 2250RK
                USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Heavysledz View Post

Thanks Jim....I will give them a call. Is there anyone in particular we should ask to speak with that is already aware of this issue so I don't have to go thru the process of explaining it from the beginning with someone unfamiliar with the issue?
                  Let me check on that Jeff and I'll get back to you via this thread.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Let me check on that Jeff and I'll get back to you via this thread.

Jim
                    Thank you sir...
                    Jeff and Debbie
                    2021 Imagine 2250RK
                    USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by GDRV-Brittany View Post

Thanks Howard! We’re looking into this and as soon as we have updates, we will let you know. In the meantime, if anyone has concerns, please reach out to our customer support team at 574-825-9679 or customerservice@granddesignrv.com. Thank you!
                      Hello all.

after reading all this I decided to install my system.. no issue and system configured and linked correctly. Maybe problem is specific to imagines as my prewire worked on the 310gk

Brittany I do have a question/concern. I noticed on gd site that the tire link system is standard. My dealer did not give me one and I had to buy direct from lippert. Any thoughts? my dealer said was not included.
                      Paul, Judy and Embr
                      2021 310 gk
                      2019 Ram Mega cab dually diesel

Comment

Originally posted by Paul and judy View Post

Hello all.

after reading all this I decided to install my system.. no issue and system configured and linked correctly. Maybe problem is specific to imagines as my prewire worked on the 310gk

Brittany I do have a question/concern. I noticed on gd site that the tire link system is standard. My dealer did not give me one and I had to buy direct from lippert. Any thoughts? my dealer said was not included.
                        Paul,

Was your unit "equipped" or "Prepped" for the TPMS? If equipped, it doesn't appear to be an issue as GD is assuming you are going to use it so they have it wired to a power source upon exiting the factory. On the units that only come "prepped" such as the Imagine line, we are seeing issues with the dock not being tied into a power source but rather tapped into the solar prep wiring which is also not connected to any power source. This leads to concerns over how it is currently wired and if you install a solar package how this could affect the TPMS system the way they have it currently wired.
                        Jeff and Debbie
                        2021 Imagine 2250RK
                        USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Casepoth View Post
                          ....BTW, that Grand Design Part Number is 450149. It is around $110 verses the over $250 retail version (with the docking station).
                          Just an FYI...I was able to get in touch with my dealer today and get this on order. He quoted me $145 which is 25% higher than what you stated but is still way cheaper than the retail price for the entire kit. I did ask him to confirm if this included the the wireless alert indicator as well and was told it does. He said it showed out of stock but would get it on order and let me know when it was going to drop ship from Lippert direct to my house.
                          Jeff and Debbie
                          2021 Imagine 2250RK
                          USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by Heavysledz View Post

Paul,

Was your unit "equipped" or "Prepped" for the TPMS? If equipped, it doesn't appear to be an issue as GD is assuming you are going to use it so they have it wired to a power source upon exiting the factory. On the units that only come "prepped" such as the Imagine line, we are seeing issues with the dock not being tied into a power source but rather tapped into the solar prep wiring which is also not connected to any power source. This leads to concerns over how it is currently wired and if you install a solar package how this could affect the TPMS system the way they have it currently wired.
                            I am not 100% sure the grand design website says the TPMS is standard on my fifth wheel but I didn’t get one so not sure if it was prepped or equipped I remember being surprised seeing the docking station in the front compartment
                            Paul, Judy and Embr
                            2021 310 gk

Comment

Paul and judy our tire link was stuffed in one of the drawers in the unit. Ir is a reflection instead of a solitude though.

Note: According to the brochure the trailers are shipped with the tire link system.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.12.31 PM.png
Views:	659
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	48573
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                                Paul and judy our tire link was stuffed in one of the drawers in the unit. Ir is a reflection instead of a solitude though.

Note: According to the brochure the trailers are shipped with the tire link system.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.12.31 PM.png
Views:	659
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	48573
                                I have reached out to my dealer to see what they say. Will at least warn a credit to apply to something else I need. Maybe a rear camera
                                Paul, Judy and Embr
                                2021 310 gk

Comment

Working...
                                X