Tire Linc Prep Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by btutich View Post
    I apparently do have the same issue. The kit came in the mail, drop shipped from GD, really quick. I went out to our trailer yesterday to test the docking station and I don't have power. I have called GD CS today and am talking to them about a resolution. More than likely a mobile service tech will come out, repair the issue and get reimbursed directly by GD. Is there an easy way to access behind the wooden panel that the dock is mounted to in the pass through to get at the wires? I took the dock off and the hole for the wires is a lot smaller than the pics Heavysledz posted earlier. I'm not sure if you opened it up a bit more to get access. Given that the travel trailer is brand new, my wife is concerned that any repair that is done is done so that it looks factory and you can't tell. My concern is that its fixed correctly and fused properly etc. Adding a switch so that it doesn't draw continuous power would be over and above what I think GD will "fix" though I can add that later. I'm thinking of just un-docking it when I'm not driving be it at a camp site or in storage.
    My .02--add the switch (one that's lit when "on"). Long term I think you'll be happier with that installation, whether GD pays for it or not.

Please post a follow-up with the resolution; good, bad or indifferent.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I still need to reach out to GD to let them know about mine. That being said I rewired mine in to the compartment lamp circuit. Are the forward lamps fused somewhere? I can't Imagine they would wire the lamps without a fuse. I did the work by gently pulling wires down though the hole behind the docking station. But the wire coming down from the roof was to short. With some gentle persuasion I was able to pull that wire down just enough to release the dock from the quick connect. Hopefully I didn't pull it out of the roof box if I ever add solar. I then pulled the lamp out and redid the connection with some added 18 gauge wire to reach down to the dock. I also have future plans to add a voltage converter to the circuit to power my level mate pro.
      Joe and Sherrie
      2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab
      2023 Reflection 311BHS 06/23
      2021 Imagine 2400BH 03/21, SOLD 06/23

Comment

Does anyone know where I can order a switch to match the front cap light switch? Or a switch like in the bathroom with 2 switches to control the dock and level mate and front cap light.
        Joe and Sherrie
        2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab
        2023 Reflection 311BHS 06/23
        2021 Imagine 2400BH 03/21, SOLD 06/23

Comment

JoeLucero Do you mean one like this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I think when looking I found a double and a triple.

Here is a JR double https://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-1...motive&sr=1-11

This is the swith on my front light. https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...ts/detail/2160
          These might be an easier install since they are round: https://www.amazon.com/mxuteuk-Rocke...59800&sr=8-121
          Last edited by Jlawles2; 04-18-2021, 10:30 AM.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I had the same issue with our 2250RK, the dock was not wired properly at GD, but my dealer solved it for me. Frustrating to say the least.

Comment

Hi all,

We are new to RV's and the GD family. We just bought a new 2400 BH Imagine. I was working on getting the TireLinc system up and running and low and behold it didn't power on when placed on the dock. After checking basics, such as the tape over the terminals being removed as well as if the dock was bad, I started to wonder about power source. I checked the dock I got with my kit in the circuit and it didn't power on either. I had an extra dock because I was dumb enough to buy the whole new kit, as I was told that was my only option by LCI. Finally I pulled the wires through the mounting area, (a hole looks like it was smashed with a hammer) checked the terminal connections to make sure they looked good (again I am a novice, so I could of done that wrong) and no joy. thus I arrived at google to fix my issue and dug this thread up.

my initial thought is, well that sucks! I do not have any expertise in electrical. I will check my solar pre wire area and see if the circuit isn't complete in that area as a first step. but my next thought is I am concerned about the vampire drain for the TireLinc system. More-so when I am Boondocking or dry camping than storage, as I keep the trailer at my house plugged into a 30amp.

a few people have put switches in, how hard is that? is that something I can accomplish with Home Depot trips and YouTube? also there is talk of making sure the Solar prep lines are done correctly, is this hard, and or something I need to do?

anyways, this feels like a shortcut/lazy solution for this system being installed. which was not the reason we bought a new GD, I was and still am under the impression they were top quality trailers with attention to detail in the build and design. I know I am gonna get the, take it to your dealer comment but my dealer is 2.5 hours away and over a mountain pass, thus not exactly something that is easily accomplished with little kids like we have. otherwise I would absolutely do that.

Super excited to get out and travel with thing, just want to make sure I can address safety items like TP. I bought the TireLinc system as I thought it would be the "easy" soultion... might be a mistake?

I can always send Tirelinc back and get another TPMS system if need be and not fuss with this if its gonna be to messy.

Thanks all!
              Last edited by CMcCright; 04-24-2021, 06:58 PM.
              2020 1500 Sierra 3.0 Duramax With Airbags & 2021 2400 BH Imagine

Comment

Originally posted by CMcCright View Post
                Hi all,

We are new to RV's and the GD family. We just bought a new 2400 BH Imagine. I was working on getting the TireLinc system up and running and low and behold it didn't power on when placed on the dock. After checking basics, such as the tape over the terminals being removed as well as if the dock was bad, I started to wonder about power source. I checked the dock I got with my kit in the circuit and it didn't power on either. I had an extra dock because I was dumb enough to buy the whole new kit, as I was told that was my only option by LCI. Finally I pulled the wires through the mounting area, (a hole looks like it was smashed with a hammer) checked the terminal connections to make sure they looked good (again I am a novice, so I could of done that wrong) and no joy. thus I arrived at google to fix my issue and dug this thread up.

my initial thought is, well that sucks! I do not have any expertise in electrical. I will check my solar pre wire area and see if the circuit isn't complete in that area as a first step. but my next thought is I am concerned about the vampire drain for the TireLinc system. More-so when I am Boondocking or dry camping than storage, as I keep the trailer at my house plugged into a 30amp.

a few people have put switches in, how hard is that? is that something I can accomplish with Home Depot trips and YouTube? also there is talk of making sure the Solar prep lines are done correctly, is this hard, and or something I need to do?

anyways, this feels like a shortcut/lazy solution for this system being installed. which was not the reason we bought a new GD, I was and still am under the impression they were top quality trailers with attention to detail in the build and design. I know I am gonna get the, take it to your dealer comment but my dealer is 2.5 hours away and over a mountain pass, thus not exactly something that is easily accomplished with little kids like we have. otherwise I would absolutely do that.

Super excited to get out and travel with thing, just want to make sure I can address safety items like TP. I bought the TireLinc system as I thought it would be the "easy" soultion... might be a mistake?

I can always send Tirelinc back and get another TPMS system if need be and not fuss with this if its gonna be to messy.

Thanks all!
                Installing a switch should be easy and available at Home Depot, but if you don’t have experience dealing with electricity I’d avoid it.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have no knowledge about the TireLinc system but can help with the easiest method in removing all power from the rig without doing any rewiring.. A battery terminal disconnect .

https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Disc...32863881&psc=1

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by AddingToTheMap View Post

$230 later, I have my answer.

As I mentioned previously, the factory Solar prep comes behind a little plastic box with two wires (4 ends, positive and negative for each) capped off. These wires have to be connected together to send power to the Tire Linc prep. The mobile tech put them together and was gone in 20 minutes.

GD needs to make sure this isn’t a problem in other coaches coming off the line. They also need to be putting a 15A fuse in line with the power like Lippert requires in their installation instructions. Pics added for anybody who runs into this problem in the future. I’m glad to have the TPMS working, it’s an excellent product (thanks Lippert) but I’m not happy with GD customer support via telephone. I’ll be sending in the invoice for warranty soon. Too bad I’m still out $100 for some wire nuts.

Thanks especially to Howard and JLawles, we almost had it, were I just a little more confident in the voodoo of electrical lol
                    This fixed the problem for me too.
                    Marcus aka Scribby

Comment

If you decide to contact Grand Design about this issue, try a phone call. It's been a few weeks since I emailed them, and still no reply.

Andy
                      Andy & Sherry
                      2021 2500RL w/ Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
                      2020 Ford Raptor w/ custom Deaver springs

Comment

Originally posted by scribby View Post
                        Originally posted by AddingToTheMap View Post
                        $230 later, I have my answer.

As I mentioned previously, the factory Solar prep comes behind a little plastic box with two wires (4 ends, positive and negative for each) capped off. These wires have to be connected together to send power to the Tire Linc prep. The mobile tech put them together and was gone in 20 minutes.

GD needs to make sure this isn’t a problem in other coaches coming off the line. They also need to be putting a 15A fuse in line with the power like Lippert requires in their installation instructions. Pics added for anybody who runs into this problem in the future. I’m glad to have the TPMS working, it’s an excellent product (thanks Lippert) but I’m not happy with GD customer support via telephone. I’ll be sending in the invoice for warranty soon. Too bad I’m still out $100 for some wire nuts.

Thanks especially to Howard and JLawles, we almost had it, were I just a little more confident in the voodoo of electrical lol

Originally posted by scribby
                        This fixed the problem for me too.
                        This is not the proper fix nor is what GD will instruct you to do if you speak With them. By connecting those wires, you have basically created a direct connection from the battery to your solar prep MC4 connectors on the roof. If you you were to hook a solar panel up to those connections, you would instantly kill the panel(s). Those lines are designed to be hooked to a charge controller, not to each other. The wiring from the roof is meant to hook to the PV input on the charger controller and the hot battery connections are supposed to hook to the charge controller output. The TireLinc wiring should not be hooked to the solar wiring prep (as-per GD) and should be removed and hooked to the 12v source the is also powering the front cap lighting and/or the front storage lighting along with a 15amp inline fuse.

Even if you never intend to add any solar panels, this could be a serious safety issue if you ever sell the unit and then next owner is unaware of how you wired it....If you do end up adding a solar system and install a charge controller, you will fry the TireLinc as it is tied to the solar prep wiring meaning it will receive the direct output of the solar panels and not a regulated 12vdc source which it is designed for.

I highly suggest to anyone wanting to fix this correctly, that you DO NOT simply tie the solar prep to the live battery leads and call it good. But rather, remove the the TireLinc wiring from the Wago connectors located behind the TireLinc dock (see below) and tie it into either the front cap lighting or the front storage lighting with an inline 15mp fuse. If you do do any amount of boondocking, consider installing an inline switch as well or remember to remove the transmitter from the dock when your boondocking to prevent unnecessary battery drain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4850.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.7 KB ID:	54044
                        Jeff and Debbie
                        2021 Imagine 2250RK
                        2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                        USMC Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 1x1 View Post
                          Thanks in advance!
                          Robert--your post was moved to it's own thread here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ssue-on-2400bh

Comment

First off, we absolutely love our new rig! That said, I've been perplexed by this for a few weeks, I'm so glad I just found this thread! Same thing on my new 2021 Imagine 2610ML....no power to the Tire Linc base station. My dealer's service department had no idea about it and I didn't want to leave it there for an indefinite time during prime camping season. I'm a half-way decent, experienced mechanic and vehicle electrician so I did all of the aforementioned troubleshooting and then some trying to figure it out. It's been pretty frustrating...finally deciding that when I have time I'd figure out an alternative wiring solution. I'm sure the folks on the assembly line are just doing what they're told and following the wiring schematic. What appears to be the design intent, direct connect through the solar prep...really?! This is clearly an engineering failure. There's no reason in the world this should be dependent on or even connected to the solar prep circuit for all the reasons previously mentioned. Very disappointing.

Very short semi-related story...also disappointing is the lack of access to information, parts, and schematics from GD. I'm not sure I like the concept of having to use the dealer network to order parts rather than ordering directly from GD for GD specific items. My dealer has been less than spectacular so I'd rather not spend my money there unless I have to. Prime example, on our shake down cruise, the drawer latch under the stove broke and the drawer opened fully and took a gouge out of the wallpaper on the opposite wall. Simple enough coverup fix with some interior matching seam tape. Matching pattern isn't aftermarket available, only available through the dealer. : (

Thanks to all for the information and discussion....this REALLY helped. I'll be calling GD CS about this and a few other relatively minor issues. Again, we absolutely love the new rig....it's a fine quality machine that we're very happy to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Navyrep1 View Post
                              First off, we absolutely love our new rig! That said, I've been perplexed by this for a few weeks, I'm so glad I just found this thread! Same thing on my new 2021 Imagine 2610ML....no power to the Tire Linc base station. My dealer's service department had no idea about it and I didn't want to leave it there for an indefinite time during prime camping season. I'm a half-way decent, experienced mechanic and vehicle electrician so I did all of the aforementioned troubleshooting and then some trying to figure it out. It's been pretty frustrating...finally deciding that when I have time I'd figure out an alternative wiring solution. I'm sure the folks on the assembly line are just doing what they're told and following the wiring schematic. What appears to be the design intent, direct connect through the solar prep...really?! This is clearly an engineering failure. There's no reason in the world this should be dependent on or even connected to the solar prep circuit for all the reasons previously mentioned. Very disappointing.

Very short semi-related story...also disappointing is the lack of access to information, parts, and schematics from GD. I'm not sure I like the concept of having to use the dealer network to order parts rather than ordering directly from GD for GD specific items. My dealer has been less than spectacular so I'd rather not spend my money there unless I have to. Prime example, on our shake down cruise, the drawer latch under the stove broke and the drawer opened fully and took a gouge out of the wallpaper on the opposite wall. Simple enough coverup fix with some interior matching seam tape. Matching pattern isn't aftermarket available, only available through the dealer. : (

Thanks to all for the information and discussion....this REALLY helped. I'll be calling GD CS about this and a few other relatively minor issues. Again, we absolutely love the new rig....it's a fine quality machine that we're very happy to have.
                              Fine first post--welcome to the forum! If you haven't found it already, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Don't hesitate to post if you have any other questions.

Howard

Comment

Follow up to my earlier post above. That was the first time I've spoken with GD Customer Service....wow, what a great first impression. Polite, caring, and responsive! They're sending me GD specific guidance on the Tire Linc power issue as well as the matching seam tape to coverup the wallpaper gouge. It was a very nice conversation.

Comment

Working...
                                X