2021 3540GK-R 50 amp connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 3540GK-R 50 amp connector

Does anyone know if the 50amp connector mounted on the body is a 1 piece, (wires are molded to the harness) or can you take the wires off the connector via screws? I need to add an EMS inline.

You should be able to take the wires off. Mine allowed that anyway. That said I'd recommend locating it near the distribution panel. That way the EMS will protect the wiring all the way to that point. On my rig the power inlet was located on the rear of the trailer, so there's a fair bit of internal wire between it and the distribution panel.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The wires are not molded into the connector. The wires are held in screw compression terminals.
      Ted
      2021 Reflection 310RLS
      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Thanks! This makes life so much easier!

Comment

Originally posted by FreddieD View Post
          Does anyone know if the 50amp connector mounted on the body is a 1 piece, (wires are molded to the harness) or can you take the wires off the connector via screws? I need to add an EMS inline.
          About 1/2 way through the SmartPlug install video I show how to disassemble the OEM 50A connector: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...n-on-a-315rlts
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howson, how do you like the smartplug?

Comment

So far it's "Howard Proof" . As I've mentioned elsewhere I managed to mess up connecting the OEM provided cord on two occasions. The Progressive EMS I'd installed "saved" me from myself as it identified the external power problem. (Amazing how easy it is to make a mistake...)

No issues with the SmartPlug--I'd really have to work at it to not have the SmartPlug on right.

Comment

I put one in as well when my OEM receptacle was showing signs of “loosening”. I love it and it’s nice to not have to play with the tightening ring. Only complaint is I also carry a 30 amp cord with a 50 amp trailer connection on it, so I don’t need to pull out the 50 amp cord off I don’t need it, so I had to buy two smart plug connectors.

Neil Citro

Comment

I will be transferring my SmartPlug from previous trailer to my 310rls.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

ncitro
                    Neil, How do you wire a 30amp cable into a 50Amp smartplug? is there a special adaptor? and, how do you connect the 30a cable to the 50a cable when you need to extend it?
                    Erik
                    Erik & Tea
                    2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                    2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                    ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                      ncitro
                      Neil, How do you wire a 30amp cable into a 50Amp smartplug? is there a special adaptor? and, how do you connect the 30a cable to the 50a cable when you need to extend it?
                      Erik
                      Caution, I am not responsible if you burn down your rig, the campground, or the city lol. That said it is pretty straightforward. The dogbone adapter simply jumps L1 and L2 together. So I bought a second 50A SmartPlug. I ran a 30 amp shore cord into it (it comes with strain reliefs for both size cables). I connected the shore cord into the L1, G, and N terminals. I then ran a 10 AWG jumper between L1 & L2. After that I closed the whole thing up and it was all set. I have used it for a couple years now with no issues. If I need to extend it I use my 30 amp extension cable.

If thats confusing let me clarify, I carry:

My factory 50 amp shore cord (35') with male 50 amp end and female 50 amp Smart Plug
                      My home made 30 amp shore cord (25') with Male 30 amp end and female 50 amp Smart Plug
                      30 amp 25 foot extension with 30 amp male plug and 30 amp female plug.

If I am in a 50 amp site I use the factory cord. If I need more length I use either the 50 amp cord with a dogbone and the 30 amp extension or the 30 amp cord and 30 amp extension. If I am in a 30 amp site I use the 30 amp cord, and for my generator I use my 30 amp cord. I now no longer carry my 50' 50 amp extension. The thing is just a beast, and I get by with only 30 amps if I need the extra length.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro that's how to do it.
                        Ted
                        2021 Reflection 310RLS
                        2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

ncitro Voila! Thank you! Love the idea of using a lighter 30 Amp cord for a typical no AC campout.... My Smartplug just arrived. I'll order that 2nd connector.
                          Erik
                          Erik & Tea
                          2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                          2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                          ProPride hitch

Comment

Hmmm.I'm going to go outside and see if I can plug the cable in wrong. Thought it was keyed so improper connection would be impossible.
                            Maybe it is?...just not Howard-proof?..lol

Edit....
                            Well I tried to connect it wrong but it's not possible on my trailer.
                            I'm thinking the factory 2021 50a plug is Howard-proof.
                            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 06-09-2021, 12:19 PM.
                            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy -- it's possible to install the standard connector with power to the camper but not have ground connected. This happens if the connector is not twisted ("seated") correctly. The EMS informed me (twice) of my ability to not do it right. Without an EMS the user wouldn't know there's a problem.

With the Smart Plug, aka the "Howard Proof Connector", I've had no issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X