Brake, signal and rear running lights not working 351m/2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake, signal and rear running lights not working 351m/2018

Looking for info on how the wires are physically routed to the brake, signal and running lights.
    Long story short, leaving 3/11, pulled rv out of storage to find the wires had been severed at the passenger side brake light with
    about 8 inches of wire hanging from the light. Can’t find the other end of the wires to splice them back together.
    Thanks so much for any assistance you can give!
    Renee
    Last edited by Rannrich; 03-06-2021, 06:15 PM. Reason: Edited to add that pictures are posted below...

OffToHavasu (Curtis)--can you help Rannrich ?

Renee--if you can take a picture of the issue and post it here that might help.

Howard

P.S. The "Forum Use" channel has a thread on how to post a picture if it's not readily evident.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

This is the part the sucks having storage so far away. You guys keep giving me ideas on what to take pictures of.

So you have the new LED strip lighting brake lights or the oval lights?
      Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
      2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
      2020 Momentum 351M
      2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

The are LED but they are oval.

Comment

Comment

Rannrich ,
            Lots of extra verbiage in my LED installation thread, but some of the pictures and wiring may help with understanding what you're seeing on your trailer. (Can I ask how that happened?)

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              Rannrich ,
              (Can I ask how that happened?)

Howard
              Not sure, they worked in October and when we got it a few days ago the lights didn't work.
              It was stored outdoors so we are being told mice but that doesn't look like mice to us (we have never experienced mice in an rv before).
              Thanks will take a look at your light installation thread.
              Renee

Comment

Majority of the time the wires are ran in groups. So all of the trailer wiring will be ran together down both sides but sometimes they run down one side then across.

If you look at etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/question-5059.html) you will see the standard wiring colors most used for trailers. Since not all of the wires are missing, you may be able to trace back up the ones that are there and find the where the missing section connected.

And Mice damage to wiring can look like any number of things. The little critters chew through the insulation, then the copper wiring. I've seen it look like wiring was pulled apart like what you have there, and I've seen it look like it was almost cut.

That almost looks like it was cut by something in a pinched action. By chance is there any other damage to the unit? Any funny scrapes or dings?
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

@Jlawles2
                  "If you look at etrailer (https://www.etrailer.com/question-5059.html) you will see the standard wiring colors most used for trailers."

Thank you for the link to the etrailer site!

Comment

Most of the connections GD makes are up under the coroplast. Try pulling a corner down in the area of damage, Looks to me like they pulled out of a knife connection that GD uses. Probably snagged them on something.
                    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Hello, just wanted to thank everyone that responded. Didn’t mean to disappear but had to get on the road. 🙂. As it stands my husband rewired the lights as a temporary fix, we will update when we get the permanent repair done.

Comment

I'm actually in the trailer right now. Here are the pics of my 351m

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210320_231501636.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	46899

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210320_231514297.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	46900
                        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB