Inverter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter Question

I had my dealer install solar panel and an inverter. The inverter only supports 3 GFI protected outlets. Not the frig. My question is 2 fold. Why did they not include the frig? and why does the inverter have to on in order to use the GFI outlets even when contacted to shore power? The dealer told me it was for safety reasons.

Originally posted by Barb View Post
    I had my dealer install solar panel and an inverter. The inverter only supports 3 GFI protected outlets. Not the frig. My question is 2 fold. Why did they not include the frig? and why does the inverter have to on in order to use the GFI outlets even when contacted to shore power? The dealer told me it was for safety reasons.
    It is strictly due to the way your dealership chose to install the inverter. As for the "safety reasons", that is bunk. If they had installed a transfer switch, then all the outlets could be hot whether it was from shore power or the inverter. The GFI circuits would still work on either source.

There are a multitude of ways to install an inverter and get power distributed to the rig.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Regarding the fridge not on the inverter:

How big is the battery bank and what is the wattage of the solar panels?

The reason for asking is RV refrigerators running on electric can be real electricity hogs. Example if you have one of the big four door Norcold’s or Dometic’s it is fairly easy in warmer weather for these to use most or all of the output from larger solar system.
      Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

What do you have for batteries? In case you didn't know, the solar panel(s) charge the battery(ies) which in turn provide AC power through the inverter.

What is the make, model and rating of the inverter?

I have a Dometic 12 cuft refrigerator. It consumes on average about 32 amp Hours from my batteries every hour it is powered through my inverter. For a single standard RV battery, that means you'll get about 1.5 hours before the battery requires recharging. (A standard RV battery is rated for 100 amp hours, but you can only use 1/2 of that without damaging the battery.)

Probably too much info...the point is the answer depends on what you expect and how the system is configured.
        Last edited by howson; 09-27-2019, 06:50 PM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I use propane on the frig when not on shore power. My main concern is why the GFI outlets can't be used unless the inverter is on. Regardless if I plugged into shore power or not. And only the GFI outlets work when not on shore power.

Comment

The inverter is Freedom Xi 2000 watt

Comment

And only the GFI outlets work when not on shore power.
              Because those GFCI outlets are the only ones physically connected (by wires) to the output of your inverter. Note that the iinverter's installation manual states the inverter's output must be connected to GFCI outlets (page 11): Installations in marine and recreational vehicles require GFCI protection of branch circuits connected to the AC output of the Freedom Xi

My main concern is why the GFI outlets can't be used unless the inverter is on.
              FYI, the manuals for your Inverter (installation and owners) are here: Installation Owners

Below is a diagram I pulled from the manual. Your inverter, when ON, is designed to pass shore AC (when available) to the connected circuit(s). For yours, it's the GFCI outlets.

When shore power is NOT available and the inverter is ON it is designed to internally switch and generate 120vAC from your 12vDC supply (also known as your battery).

When the inverter is OFF nothing passes through the inverter--as designed. (Take a few moments and read through the manuals.)

Caveat: I am not an electrician, engineer, or anything of that sort. Undoubtedly there are many, many ways to configure an RV electrical system--and the others that have responded on this thread are much more knowledgeable about this subject than I am. My only purpose for this post is to assure you that your system appears to be working as originally designed by the manufacturer. (Again--read the manuals I linked and you'll read it for yourself.)

Hope that helps--I don't think there's anything else I can add.

-Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup for Barb.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	4704

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
              X