6 volt battery suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 volt battery suggestion

I want to buy a couple of 6 volt batteries for a 12v to two 6 conversion.
    what battery brand do you guys like suggest.....I only know the automotive house brands.....Deka, Trojan....others?
    Thanks
    Ray

Originally posted by Rgpracer View Post
    I want to buy a couple of 6 volt batteries for a 12v to two 6 conversion.
    what battery brand do you guys like suggest.....I only know the automotive house brands.....Deka, Trojan....others?
    Thanks
    Ray
    Welcome to GD's technical forum. Please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

I personally am a fan of the LifePO4 ("lithium") batteries for all the reasons spelled out in TucsonJim's Batteries 101 presentation attached to https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery .

I realize lithium is a type, not a brand...sorry, I do not have any knowledge or opinion that's helpful in that regard.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Rgpracer I agree with Howard on lithium, the price has come down to the point where their life can bring them in line or even cheaper than the cost of flooded batteries.

That said it is an expensive purchase up front for everyone. Before I converted to lithium I ran four 6v batteries. I had good luck with the ones from Costco. I’m told there’s only two or three companies that make batteries for everyone so brand on the battery does not matter much. I’m terrible at maintenance (one of the other reasons I was glad to move to lithium), but with proper monitoring on the electrolyte and SOC they can last you.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

A consideration for running two lead/acid batteries is to use two 12V rather than two 6V. You can get almost the same amp-hr reserve but if you have a problem with one battery, you can run on just the other one. With two 6V, the loss of one cell in one battery takes out the entire 12V system. A marine 1/2/both/off four way switch makes any combination possible without disconnecting wires.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rgpracer , I run four 6V AGM batteries by Lifeline. They apparently make batteries for the military. In RV use, they have a 5 year warranty. AGM batteries have no maintenance or venting issues as do flooded cell batteries. When we purchased our new unit, I removed these from our previous unit. Have had good luck with them. Not cheap at about $250 each though. When these get tired will probably look into the lithium as others on here have done.
          Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
          2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
          2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
          2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
          Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

I have four 6V AGM Lifeline batteries as well. I can't say enough about how much I like them but they are pricey and they are heavy! So heavy in fact that I can't use them in our new rig with the truck I have so I have them in my garage taking up space.
            2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax 3310LB Payload
            2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

Comment

Working...
            X