Battery Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Case

The battery in my front compartment is in a case that the bottom half is recessed into the compartment floor. I'm assuming GD does this on all 5th wheels. In the bottom of this case is a hole approx. 1.5" in diameter.

I'm going with a group 31 size battery (larger and heavier) and I would like to put a piece of wood or aluminum over the recessed battery box and just use a regular battery case that would set flat with the storage compartment floor. The reason being it's back breaking to crawl into the compartment and lift the battery out of the recessed case.

My question is do I need that 1.5" bottom hole in the case? Is is for just draining in case battery is over charged and leaks, or does it serve as any type of a lower vent? Of course I'll still maintain the existing upper vent that goes to the outside of the compartment.
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

In the larger fifth wheels (like the Solitudes with drop frames), the battery boxes are not recessed. If your battery box is sealed at the bottom to contain any spillage, you should be OK - as long as it's still vented externally from the top and anchored down well. Battery installations on boats are set up this way. If you were to go with a LiFePO4 (lithium) battery, it would be half the weight, twice the useable amperage, and you wouldn't have to worry about venting at all.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Since you are dealing with 2 different gasses, I would consider a dual vent box. Hydrogen( the light one) will vent out through the air vent in the top, but with no bottom vent, the Hydrogen Sulfide will hang in the compartment. H2S (hydrogen sulfide) is nasty stuff, it starts by killing the senses, the destroys the lugs. Even if you cover the current opening with a plate, and silicone a battery box down with a hole in the bottom for venting, its better than letting the H2S out to possibly get into the occupancy compartment. Not to mention H2S causes other issues with steels.

If you cannot find one with a bottom vent, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...3300BK-05.html sells the venting kit.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        In the larger fifth wheels (like the Solitudes with drop frames), the battery boxes are not recessed. If your battery box is sealed at the bottom to contain any spillage, you should be OK - as long as it's still vented externally from the top and anchored down well. Battery installations on boats are set up this way. If you were to go with a LiFePO4 (lithium) battery, it would be half the weight, twice the useable amperage, and you wouldn't have to worry about venting at all.

Rob
        99.9% of my camping is with hook ups. My lead acid battery is used mainly for hooking and unhooking trailer and using water pump on the road. Hard to justify spending 6-8 times the cost for this type of usage.
        2020 Reflection 273MK
        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          Since you are dealing with 2 different gasses, I would consider a dual vent box. Hydrogen( the light one) will vent out through the air vent in the top, but with no bottom vent, the Hydrogen Sulfide will hang in the compartment. H2S (hydrogen sulfide) is nasty stuff, it starts by killing the senses, the destroys the lugs. Even if you cover the current opening with a plate, and silicone a battery box down with a hole in the bottom for venting, its better than letting the H2S out to possibly get into the occupancy compartment. Not to mention H2S causes other issues with steels.

If you cannot find one with a bottom vent, https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...3300BK-05.html sells the venting kit.
          OK thanks. May be easier to just leave as is. However, since the battery currently sets on top of the small bottom hole it's hard to imagine much venting from it. Looks more like just a drain hole.

2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Lonestar I think the bottom of the tray is ribbed, either way, the H2S gas is heavy and will find its way toward the bottom of the tray vs filing (its also explosive i think) and out into the compartment.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

I think you may be right. I'll check and may even try to put a couple of small shims under the battery to give more vent room. I've only had 2 fifth wheels and I think my other battery case was flat with the floor but had an extension tube running out the bottom. Of course my travel trailers all had batteries on outside so no consideration. My preference would be not killing my wife and me with nefarious gasses. Does not look good in obituary.
              2020 Reflection 273MK
              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

The bottom hole also acts as a draft for the upper vent. To keep the up draft for the up flowing gasses air needs to enter somewhere so the bottom is the best place. If you make the gap too big under the battery then you might invite mud wasps to enter and build there cool little homes.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I've never had that issue so far. Anyone ever put a little piece of screen over the hole? The gasses normally emitted from the battery may be a deterrent to wasps and dirt daubers.
                  2020 Reflection 273MK
                  2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I have not had them get in the bottom hole but I have had them get in the vent on the front. I think adding a piece of window screen would be ok.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                    X