Q on batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q on batteries

Our dealer installed two deep cycle batts on our 2021 310GK-R.

Q1: If the red battery "Key" in basement is turned off, are the batteries still be charged while connected to 50 amp shore power?
    Q2: While in transit in hot desert climates, we'd like to keep our residential fridge running. We have the solar package. Is the correct way to make sure it is on as follows? 1. Turn BATT red key ON. 2. Turn inverter to ON.
    Q3: If the scenario above in Q2 is correct, is the battery being charged with the TV hooked up and running while traveling?
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel
    2021 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R

Originally posted by sportsdad60 View Post

Q1: If the red battery "Key" in basement is turned off, are the batteries still be charged while connected to 50 amp shore power?
    Q2: While in transit in hot desert climates, we'd like to keep our residential fridge running. We have the solar package. Is the correct way to make sure it is on as follows? 1. Turn BATT red key ON. 2. Turn inverter to ON.
    Q3: If the scenario above in Q2 is correct, is the battery being charged with the TV hooked up and running while traveling?
    A1: The converter that uses shore power to charge the batteries can only do so if the red battery key is ON.
    A2: Correct
    A3: The balance between charging the trailer batteries from the solar panels and charging them from the TV is difficult to estimate. Typically the solar panels will have greater (daylight) charging capability.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks rob, follow up Q. A1. So I do NOT need my inverter for Solar ON as long as my shore power is plugged in and BATT key is ON. Correct?

Comment

Thanks rob, follow up Q. A1. So I do NOT need my inverter for Solar ON as long as my shore power is plugged in and BATT key is ON. Correct?
        Correct - although some people leave their inverter on all the time just in case they unexpectedly lose shore power.

BTW, your inverter isn't tied to your solar system. It simply converts 12v battery power to 120v. The solar system charges the batteries (if the solar charge controller is turned on and the sun is out). I'm not trying to be nit-picky. Just wanted you to know they are two separate systems.
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Rob and Brian have you on the right path. In my opinion the Disconnect Switch should never be in the OFF position any time trailer is in use or going to be used. Even when off there are parasitic drains on the batteries such as CO, propane and smoke detectors along with a few other possible items like the radio memory. If you look at your power bus bar, and use a volt meter, you can determine which circuits are hot when the disconnect switch is Off, To disconnect for storage, remove the positive terminal from the batteries and isolate it.

Now one other thing to check. I visit a few Ford truck forums and some folks have found their new trucks do not charge up their trailer due to a missing relay. Something you might ask about and check the next time your by your dealer.

Hope this helps
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
            X