No announcement yet.

Awning lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#appfan What is it about the illuminated switch that makes it non compatible? I am wanting to do this mod but have the illuminated blue ceiling light switch. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bmccain05 View Post
      #appfan What is it about the illuminated switch that makes it non compatible? I am wanting to do this mod but have the illuminated blue ceiling light switch. thanks
      Close! Use "@" instead of "#". I find after typing the @ that I may have to pause after the first three letters in the name to get the website to respond with a list of possibilities (small pop-up box).

Appfan -- see Bmccain05 's question in post 16.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I replaced the switch with the dimmer as shown in Marty's video. My panel looks just like 315RLTSinPA 's in post #5 of this thread, except I don't have anything populated in the porch light slot. (Will probably put the nose LEDs there so I can turn them on and off from inside.)

When the control panel adapters came today I was surprised to find electrical connectors in the bag, too. I had already wired in the dimmers (since I got them first) with connectors I had on hand.

Highly recommended mod--very easy to do if you have a crimper on hand and the items from Marty are top-notch.

Click image for larger version Name:	surprised.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	8888
          I installed the dimmer on the LED ceiling lights in our Reflection 315RLTS today, connecting the wires per the above diagram. When I turn the dimmer on, nothing happens until I get to about 50% and then the lights come on at full brightness. Nothing changes as I continue turning the dimmer to 100%. I put a voltmeter on the output from the dimmer (black) and the voltage increases gradually from ~2 VDC to ~13 VDC as I advance the dimmer from 0 to 100%. The lights turn on at 7-8 VDC. Any idea what’s wrong? Marty speculated that GD may be using non-dimmable LEDs on current production units.
          Bob and Joanne
          2021 Reflection 315RLTS
          2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
          20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Bhbery View Post

I installed the dimmer on the LED ceiling lights in our Reflection 315RLTS today, connecting the wires per the above diagram. When I turn the dimmer on, nothing happens until I get to about 50% and then the lights come on at full brightness. Nothing changes as I continue turning the dimmer to 100%. I put a voltmeter on the output from the dimmer (black) and the voltage increases gradually from ~2 VDC to ~13 VDC as I advance the dimmer from 0 to 100%. The lights turn on at 7-8 VDC. Any idea what’s wrong? Marty speculated that GD may be using non-dimmable LEDs on current production units.
            Bob,
            Can you pull down one of the lights and take a picture of the part # on the back? If you're not sure how to remove a light, see this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-repair-video

If your light looks nothing like the one in the video...Marty may be right.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The most effective way to dim LEDs is with PWM (pulse width modulation) basically varying the time on vs the time off at a frequency too fast for the human eye to see. But . . . this requires isolating four wires. + and - for both the power source and the load. The two wire dimmer adjusts supply voltage . . . this does not work with all LED circuits.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Bob,
                Can you pull down one of the lights and take a picture of the part # on the back? If you're not sure how to remove a light, see this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-repair-video

Howard
                I did try to pull one down. It didn't come easily and I didn't want to damage anything. After watching your video, I see that it takes a bit of tugging so I'll try again next week.
                Bob and Joanne
                2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                  The most effective way to dim LEDs is with PWM (pulse width modulation) basically varying the time on vs the time off at a frequency too fast for the human eye to see. But . . . this requires isolating four wires. + and - for both the power source and the load. The two wire dimmer adjusts supply voltage . . . this does not work with all LED circuits.

Rob
                  I don't think we have a dedicated 12 volt negative - line or load. The positive for the ceiling lights and the positive for the awning lights share a 2-conductor "zip cord" type cable. Not sure where they pick up negative.
                  Bob and Joanne
                  2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                  20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Bob,

Howard
                    Here is a picture of one of my lights:

They are 3.5" diameter opening, 4.5" OD.
                    I emailed GD customer service with my VIN and asked if the LED lights were dimmable. They replied "No they are not."
                    I tried the dimmer on the awning lights - same behavior.
                    I found some info on these Facon lights and they say they require PWM dimmers, so they're not dimmable by varying voltage.
                    Were you able to dim your lights?
                    Bob and Joanne
                    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                    20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Here is a picture of one of my lights:

They are 3.5" diameter opening, 4.5" OD.
                      I emailed GD customer service with my VIN and asked if the LED lights were dimmable. They replied "No they are not."
                      I tried the dimmer on the awning lights - same behavior.
                      I found some info on these Facon lights and they say they require PWM dimmers, so they're not dimmable by varying voltage.
                      Were you able to dim your lights?
                      The picture does not display for me. ???

The Facon lights in my 315RLTS dim just fine. There are many, many people who have installed the dimmers in their camper successfully.

Is there a possibility the dimmer is wired wrong? The dimmers only work when wired in a specific orientation (I forget the specifics). You'll know if it's wrong because the dimmer gets warm--fast.

Can you try uploading the pic again?

Comment

Bhbery -- below is what is in my 315RLTS

Click image for larger version

Name:	Facon.PNG
Views:	851
Size:	604.6 KB
ID:	27529

Comment

The picture does not display for me. ???

The Facon lights in my 315RLTS dim just fine. There are many, many people who have installed the dimmers in their camper successfully.

Is there a possibility the dimmer is wired wrong? The dimmers only work when wired in a specific orientation (I forget the specifics). You'll know if it's wrong because the dimmer gets warm--fast.

Can you try uploading the pic again?
                          Does this work? (not too good at uploading yet)
                          The model number is RVR4HN-35.
                          As far as I can tell it's wired just like the photo in #14; 12v+ from the switch is connected to red & white on dimmer, load from switch is connected to black on dimmer.
                          Bob and Joanne
                          2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                          20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Does this work? (not too good at uploading yet)
                            The model number is RVR4HN-35.
                            As far as I can tell it's wired just like the photo in #14; 12v+ from the switch is connected to red & white on dimmer, load from switch is connected to black on dimmer.
                            From the video, the light (at least in the bedroom) is a different model.

Name:	Facon.JPG
Views:	1014
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	27556

Unfortunately I won't have time until Sunday to take my panel off and take a picture of how my dimmer is wired. I'll also double-check the model # of one of the lights in the living area. (Hopefully I don't forget!)

Howard

Comment

From the video, the light (at least in the bedroom) is a different model.

Name:	Facon.JPG
Views:	1014
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	27556

Unfortunately I won't have time until Sunday to take my panel off and take a picture of how my dimmer is wired. I'll also double-check the model # of one of the lights in the living area. (Hopefully I don't forget!)

Howard
                              I noticed that it was different. Here is the Amazon listing for the DLFST4-008: https://www.amazon.com/Facon-Aluminu.../dp/B01N5LSVTV
                              The Facon info on Amazon says they need a PWM dimmer, but I wonder if this one will work with a regular variable voltage dimmer.

I took all of the lights in my living area down so I could trace the wiring. They are wired with a white/red-white cable (white is neg, red-white is pos). The one in front of the bedroom door is the first one in the circuit, but I can't trace the feed. It doesn't seem to go directly to the switch panel so I'm guessing it's spliced somewhere in the ceiling (not good wiring practice). The only white/red-white cable in the switch panel is a feed from the fuse panel. White goes to the big wire nut with the other negatives and red-white goes to the line terminal on the switch. The strange part is that the wire on the load terminal of the switch is the white wire from the white/brown-white cable and the brown-white is connected to the load terminal of the awning light switch, i.e. this cable is carrying two positives; white to the the ceiling lights and brown-white to the awning lights. Then the white wire from the brown-white cable must be spliced to the red-white of the feed to the lights and the whites from the red and brown cables are spliced to a negative "somewhere". Bottom line is that in order to use a PWM dimmer I need access to the negative feed to the lights, which seems to be hidden "somewhere". The only other alternative that I can think of is to replace my RVR4HN-35s with DLFST4-35s if they will work with a variable voltage dimmer.
                              Bob and Joanne
                              2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                              20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Well . . . after spending this afternoon tracing wires in the ceiling of my TT, I found this buried in the wall of the awning-side pass-through storage:

Name:	OneControl.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	27779

As it turns out, the switches in the panel don't actually send power to the ceiling lights, awning lights or porch light. They tell this Lippert OneControl to do it. In addition to the lights, it also allows wireless control (via phone app) for the slides, stabilizers and awnings. Not sure when GD started including this, but it certainly is a game changer when it comes to dimming lights. The only way I can think to dim the ceiling lights is to install a dimmer in the feed to the lights. The good news is that I can use a PWM dimmer because I'll have access to both positive and negative line and load wires.
                                https://www.amazon.com/Facon-12Volt-...ef_=ast_sto_dp
                                The hard part will be fishing a wire down the hallway wall from the ceiling. Has anyone done this?
                                Attached Files
                                Bob and Joanne
                                2021 Reflection 315RLTS
                                20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

Working...
                                X