Awning lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bhbery View Post
    Well . . . after spending this afternoon tracing wires in the ceiling of my TT, I found this buried in the wall of the awning-side pass-through storage:

Click image for larger version

Name:	OneControl.jpg
Views:	1422
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	27779
    Wow--that is new! So Marty's setup won't work on a OneControl (aka "CompassControl") equipped trailer.

I've tried a few times to fish wires across the ceiling in multiple locations for different projects and haven't had any success.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Wow--that is new! So Marty's setup won't work on a OneControl (aka "CompassControl") equipped trailer.

I've tried a few times to fish wires across the ceiling in multiple locations for different projects and haven't had any success.

I'm thinking about trying to fish the wires into the bathroom wall pocket where the sliding door goes and mount the dimmer in the hallway outside the bedroom door. It's pretty tight in there so I'm not sure how hard that will be.
      Bob and Joanne
      2021 Reflection 315RLTS
      2020 F-250, Crew Cab, Short Bed, 7.3 Gas, 4x4
      20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

I'm thinking about trying to fish the wires into the bathroom wall pocket where the sliding door goes and mount the dimmer in the hallway outside the bedroom door.
        There are six lights in the ceiling (if I remember correctly--my camper is closed up due to Marco being right off shore) that I can dim. These lights must be wired in parallel. If you can find the light with the initial 12v power line that feeds all six lights (by pulling the lights down one at a time and disconnecting the wiring to figure out how they are wired) could you insert a wireless dimmer controller between the power and that first light? Then all six would get the same output from the dimmer. The wireless remote means no fiddling with trying to get wiring through a wall.

I have no idea if it's doable...just throwing out some thoughts.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

There are six lights in the ceiling (if I remember correctly--my camper is closed up due to Marco being right off shore) that I can dim. These lights must be wired in parallel. If you can find the light with the initial 12v power line that feeds all six lights (by pulling the lights down one at a time and disconnecting the wiring to figure out how they are wired) could you insert a wireless dimmer controller between the power and that first light? Then all six would get the same output from the dimmer. The wireless remote means no fiddling with trying to get wiring through a wall.

I have no idea if it's doable...just throwing out some thoughts.
          Mine has eight lights in the main area and one in the hallway to the bedroom. I did pull them all down to see how they were wired and found that the one in the hallway to the bedroom is the one that's fed from the OneControl module. I didn't think of a wireless dimmer. That's a great idea. I'll look on amazon and see if I can find one.
          Bob and Joanne
          2021 Reflection 315RLTS
          20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

I found this from RV Lighting https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/ on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
            The dimmer is wired into the 12 volt line feeding the light(s). The wireless remote can be mounted on the wall or used as a hand-held remote.

This is the ceiling light in the hallway to the bedroom. The two-conductor cable on the left is the feed from the Lippert OneControl and the the cable on the right is the feed to the other eight ceiling lights.

The dimmer is installed by connecting the feed from the OneControl to the input of the dimmer. Then the output from the dimmer is connected to the lights. Simple; two wires in, two wires out. Be sure to observe polarity.

The power to the ceiling lights must be turned on at the switch panel or by using the OneControl mobile app. Then the brightness can be adjusted to one of seven levels with the remote. The lights can be turned off from the switch panel, the OneControl app or the on-off button on the dimmer switch. The next time they are turned on, they will be at the same level they were when turned off.

They beauty of this control is that it can be used on any of the LED lighting in the RV by connecting it before the first light. It is rated at 5 amps (60 watts). The remote is the same footprint as the other wall switches, so it can be mounted in place of the switch for the bedroom lights, dining table lights or the couch lights.

Thanks howson for suggesting the wireless option - sure beats fishing wires!
            Bob and Joanne
            2021 Reflection 315RLTS
            20K Weigh-Safe hitch

Comment

I found this from RV Lighting https://www.rvlighting.ca/en/ on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.
              The dimmer is wired into the 12 volt line feeding the light(s). The wireless remote can be mounted on the wall or used as a hand-held remote.

This is the ceiling light in the hallway to the bedroom. The two-conductor cable on the left is the feed from the Lippert OneControl and the the cable on the right is the feed to the other eight ceiling lights.

The dimmer is installed by connecting the feed from the OneControl to the input of the dimmer. Then the output from the dimmer is connected to the lights. Simple; two wires in, two wires out. Be sure to observe polarity.

The power to the ceiling lights must be turned on at the switch panel or by using the OneControl mobile app. Then the brightness can be adjusted to one of seven levels with the remote. The lights can be turned off from the switch panel, the OneControl app or the on-off button on the dimmer switch. The next time they are turned on, they will be at the same level they were when turned off.

They beauty of this control is that it can be used on any of the LED lighting in the RV by connecting it before the first light. It is rated at 5 amps (60 watts). The remote is the same footprint as the other wall switches, so it can be mounted in place of the switch for the bedroom lights, dining table lights or the couch lights.

Thanks howson for suggesting the wireless option - sure beats fishing wires!
              Looking forward to reading the install notes and seeing pics!

Comment

I ordered a package of two dimmers and they have not 3 but 4 wires coming out. I own a 2019 GDR 311BHS and the videos to install the 3-wire dimmer seem easy enough. But I have a hard time wrapping my head around the wiring diagrams. For example, the ceiling light switch has a red-white wire connected to one post and another red-white connected to the other post. I think this is called "high-side" wired. But on the ceiling light itself has a red-white wire connection on one side and a white wire one the other. Looking behind the panel it seems all that white wire bundled together is the ground. Be that as it may, following the videos for the three wire dimmer seems simple, I just need to ignore my confusion, but how would I make a simple connection with a 4-wire? Any suggestions? Or should I just return them to Amazon and get the 3-wire? Thanks
                Last edited by Denali53; 10-21-2020, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Denali53 View Post
                  I ordered a package of two dimmers and they have not 3 but 4 wires coming out. I own a 2019 GDR 311BHS and the videos to install the 3-wire dimmer seem easy enough. But I have a hard time wrapping my head around the wiring diagrams. For example, the ceiling light switch has a red-white wire connected to one post and another red-white connected to the other post. I think this is called "high-side" wired. But on the ceiling light itself has a red-white wire connection on one side and a white wire one the other. Looking behind the panel it seems all that white wire bundled together is the ground. Be that as it may, following the videos for the three wire dimmer seems simple, I just need to ignore my confusion, but how would I make a simple connection with a 4-wire? Any suggestions? Or should I just return them to Amazon and get the 3-wire? Thanks
                  Definitely different than any other dimmer I've seen used on a trailer. The wiring is fairly straight forward, but the "output" side of the LED light is not easily accessible--assuming the dimmer switch is going in the Convenience Panel.

Comment

Denali53

The best way to “dim” LED lighting is with pulse width modulation (PWM) which varies the amount of time “on” and the amount of time “off” at a frequency imperceptible to the eye. But . . . to do this, you have to isolate the supply power & ground and the light power & ground from all other circuits. The four wires identified in your diagram. The difficulty is that in the OE wiring, the ground wire from the lights often goes to some other location. If you can follow the wire from the original switch towards the light, you might be able to find where this wire is twinned with the ground wire from the light(s). This would allow you to isolate the four wires that you need.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks, Rob. That's my problem. I know enough that there is a technically correct way of doing things (following the wire diagrams) and then there are the short cuts. I learned that with the red and white wires described in the 3-wire dimmer are bond together because they do that anyway inside the dimmer controller. So my question back to you is what is technically wrong with the previous descriptions in this thread to connect the 3-wire dimmer into the OE switch. Sounds like it is easier to just return the 4-wire and purchase 3-wire dimmers.

Comment

Looking forward to reading the install notes and seeing pics!
                        Has there been any further progress updates on this? I purchased at 2021 3100RD with Compass Connect/OneControl and I am very interested. I wish I could see Bhbery pictures that he posted of his hallway light and dimmer installation.
                        2021 Imagine 3100RD
                        Northwest Indiana

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Toczek View Post

Has there been any further progress updates on this? I purchased at 2021 3100RD with Compass Connect/OneControl and I am very interested. I wish I could see Bhbery pictures that he posted of his hallway light and dimmer installation.
                          Guy,
                          Welcome to the forum. I'm learning (slowly?) about the CC/OC and all the options associated with this system.

I think you have a Unity board in your Imagine. Can you try to find it and take a picture of the model and post it here? While I can find it in the parts lookup site (says it's a Unity X180T board) I can't read the labels. If you can post a pic so I can read the label, from there I can better respond to your question.

Based on what I've learned over the past several days, though, I doubt the board has any dimming capabilities. This means any dimming capability would have to be inserted into the circuit after the board's output.

Your board is referenced here on the parts lookup website: ttps://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/parts/detail/70232

Howard

Comment

Guy,
                            Welcome to the forum. I'm learning (slowly?) about the CC/OC and all the options associated with this system.

I think you have a Unity board in your Imagine. Can you try to find it and take a picture of the model and post it here? While I can find it in the parts lookup site (says it's a Unity X180T board) I can't read the labels. If you can post a pic so I can read the label, from there I can better respond to your question.

Based on what I've learned over the past several days, though, I doubt the board has any dimming capabilities. This means any dimming capability would have to be inserted into the circuit after the board's output.

Your board is referenced here on the parts lookup website: ttps://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-support/parts/detail/70232

Howard
                            Hey thanks for the shout back. Unfortunately my 3100 is in storage right now so I am not sure when I will get a chance to hunt down the Unity board to get a picture. The info about the board that you gave me will be very helpful though. Everything that Bhbery said in his post makes perfect sense. If I can locate the first led in the circuit I should be able to find a way of installing the dimmer between it and the Unity board. Your idea on the wireless controller was brilliant. I just wish I could see his pictures. If everything is as he indicated, it would not be a very difficult mod. I would love to hear how it all went for him and if it is functioning as planned.
                            2021 Imagine 3100RD
                            Northwest Indiana

Comment

Very helpful thread. I have emailed Marty about the adapter. Unfortunately, I had ordered the wrong switch by Amazon is taking it back and the correct one is on the way.

Last edited by BillinTexas; 12-26-2020, 01:55 PM.
                              Bill & Cindy
                              2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
                              2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                              SE Texas

Comment

drudging up an old thread but here is a picture I took of the control board in my 2021 2250RK which should the same or similar to what your looking for...The black/red wires coming out of the gray insulator (top left) are the communications (CAN BUS) from the Compass Connect panel to the Unity control board. What is interesting is there are 16 configurable inputs on the left hand side of the control board. Only 5 slots are used (4 for the holding tanks and 1 for the DSI fault indicator for the HW heater).

Does anyone know how to connect to and program these additional inputs?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4813 copy.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	48546
                                Jeff and Debbie
                                2021 Imagine 2250RK
                                2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
                                USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X