Awning lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning lights

We have a 2018 Reflection, with 2 slides on the passenger side, or main door side. I wish there were 2 switches for the awning lights. I would love to use one, or the other, or both. My hubby believes he can pull the one switch out, and there should be 4 wires, which he could separate, and put in another switch right next to the existing one. And he'll do this with the unit unplugged, and the battery disconnected. We have our local RV dealer here, and he'll check with them before he starts. (it will probably next spring) But maybe the manufacturer could look into this for new units being built. (Or maybe its just me..something I think should change.)
    Other than that, I have a few small items that we've fixed, like adding shelves where there was some wasted space.
    AND I love the idea about the sofa. Hubby is going to look at ours to see if he can level it. Company has complained a lot about that. He'll see what he can do.
    Last edited by Cin Bad; 10-01-2019, 09:52 AM.

Hi - And welcome to the forum. I'm glad you joined us. I'll bet your hubby is correct about the wires on the two awning lights.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cin Bad View Post
      We have a 2018 Reflection, with 2 slides on the passenger side, or main door side. I wish there were 2 switches for the awning lights. I would love to use one, or the other, or both. My hubby believes he can pull the one switch out, and there should be 4 wires, which he could separate, and put in another switch right next to the existing one. And he'll do this with the unit unplugged, and the battery disconnected. We have our local RV dealer here, and he'll check with them before he starts. (it will probably next spring) But maybe the manufacturer could look into this for new units being built. (Or maybe its just me..something I think should change.)
      Other than that, I have a few small items that we've fixed, like adding shelves where there was some wasted space.
      AND I love the idea about the sofa. Hubby is going to look at ours to see if he can level it. Company has complained a lot about that. He'll see what he can do.
      If you do undertake the project of adding an additional switch, please take the time to snap pics and document your process. I'm sure someone else will benefit from the information.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You may find the rear awning lights are coupled with the front awning lights in the wall then just one set of wires going to the switch. Hope that is not the case though.
        2019 F250 Lariat
        2020 Solitude S Series 2930RL

Comment

The wires for both awning lights are tied together behind the panel.I separated the wires and put each awning light on its own dimmer switch. I used the space that says porch light for the other switch.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190428_143948.jpg
Views:	4321
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	4950
          2018 Reflection 315RLTS
          2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Very easy to separate those lights, I've done many. Ur hubby is right. You will have the 12v on one side of switch, the 12v jumpers all over back there. So just check for 12v on each terminal with switch turned off to find which is actually ur 12v coming in. Another easy way to determine which is the 12v is to follow the wires out and see where they go. The 12v side will jumper to another switch, and more than likely other switches too. The other side of switch will be switchlegs for each awning. Just separate those one on each switch.

Comment

That’s a great idea! Thanks for the write up.

where do you get your dimmer switches from.
              2020 Reflections 150 Series 295 RL, 2007 Chev Duramax 3500 Classic Ext cab

Comment

Originally posted by Trahanp View Post
                That’s a great idea! Thanks for the write up.

where do you get your dimmer switches from.
                Trahanp--I suggest using the QUOTE feature so 315RLTSinPA gets a notification you've got a question for them or use the mention tag (I've used both in this post as an example).
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

The switch was from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...s%2C152&sr=8-4
                  The faceplate is made and sold by Marty Robinson hybris1@yahoo.com
                  2018 Reflection 315RLTS
                  2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Comment

Originally posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
                    The switch was from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Dimmer-L...s%2C152&sr=8-4
                    The faceplate is made and sold by Marty Robinson hybris1@yahoo.com
                    315RLTSinPA can you elaborate a little on the "Faceplate" piece you ordered from Marty Robinson? Specifically, how it mounts on to the existing GD Convenience Center panel with it being plastic and with pre-made holes covered by the logoed sticker? Is there anything specific I need to mention to Marty when I order it so he understands what I need? Great job, I like your installation and want to duplicate it.
                    David & Kari +2 Dogs (Cream & Winston)
                    2020 2600RB (Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC)
                    2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC View Post

315RLTSinPA can you elaborate a little on the "Faceplate" piece you ordered from Marty Robinson? Specifically, how it mounts on to the existing GD Convenience Center panel with it being plastic and with pre-made holes covered by the logoed sticker? Is there anything specific I need to mention to Marty when I order it so he understands what I need? Great job, I like your installation and want to duplicate it.
                      I recently emailed Marty and below is his (I suspect) canned response.

Note that I have no connection with Marty nor any interest whatsoever in his product outside of the fact that I ordered combo #1.

Thanks for inquiring on my adapters. I have three different adapters available for Grand Design travel trailers. Control panel adapters for the 3/4" tall switches located in the "convenience center", single wall switch adapters (bedroom, front lights, etc) and double wall switch adapters (both have to be dimmers). Single/double wall switch adapters reuse the original bezel. I also have a 1.25” control panel adapter and 3/4” round adaptor for other makes of Grand Design trailers. All these options are reversible and require no modification to the trailer or wiring.

These adapters require the long shaft version of the PCA brand dimmers. Here is a link for your convenience (you'll need to buy the dimmer from Amazon or other). http://a.co/2T6qMG9

The control panel adapters are $5 each + $4 for US S&H per order. The single wall switch adapter (bedroom or other) are $10 each and a double wall switch (2 dimmers only) are $15 each. I also have insulated male connectors that I can add for $0.50 a pair (each dimmer requires a pair). There are two different sizes. Most 2018 and older use the large 1/4” standard spades. New 2019+ sometimes use a smaller 4.8mm spade that actually matches the original switch better. Please specify which you want. The small will fit all but the standard fit better where used. The small ones are not as well insulated so I recommend wrapping in electrical tape or shrink tubing.

Preferred payment via PayPal. Please note in the payment what adapters you want. Also make sure your address is correct. https://www.paypal.me/adapterman

Popular combos:

#1 Two control panel adapters (overhead and awning lights) - $14 shipped + $1 for connectors
                      #2 Two control panel adapters and single wall switch adapter (adds bedroom or front “V” lights) - $24 shipped + $1.50 for connectors
                      #3 Two control panel adapters and two single wall switch adapters (overhead, awning, bedroom and front “V” lights) - $34 shipped + $2 for connectors
                      #4 Mother load (don’t even have to think). Includes combo #3 and both size connectors. - $38 shipped

Some helpful links:

Install video: https://youtu.be/pPX_S9wx4l8
                      Dimmer (long shaft) required: http://a.co/2T6qMG9
                      Connectors recommended (standard size): http://a.co/d88FBZV
                      Connectors recommended (small size) :https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2P81IC..._IwqCDbXDHNYZM
                      Recommended crimp tool: http://a.co/ioJDvmB or better http://a.co/6A0XvZ4

*Below require Grand Design RV Imagine Owners facebook group access
                      Adapter facebook discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467...26831901042920
                      Imagine facebook dimming FAQ: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0757872&type=3

Thanks,
                      Marty

Comment

I installed a dimmer today on the living room overhead lights and the awning lights. Very easy to do. Only quibble I have with Marty's directions is I suggest putting heat shrink over the wire connectors to avoid an inadvertent short.

Name:	heat shrink.JPG
Views:	3512
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	8749

Another thing a "friend" mentioned to me (excuse me while I clear my throat), but don't assume just because one switch is wired a given way that the other switch is wired that way, also. You'll know if you hook up the dimmer backwards because it will get warm--quick. (Lights don't dim, either). Again, a "friend" mentioned this to me.

This mod ranks up there as one of the easiest to do for the most result. Highly recommended. (See post 11 for Marty's contact info and all the other details you need to do this yourself.)

-Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                          I installed a dimmer today on the living room overhead lights and the awning lights. Very easy to do. Only quibble I have with Marty's directions is I suggest putting heat shrink over the wire connectors to avoid an inadvertent short.

Name:	heat shrink.JPG
Views:	3512
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	8749

Another thing a "friend" mentioned to me (excuse me while I clear my throat), but don't assume just because one switch is wired a given way that the other switch is wired that way, also. You'll know if you hook up the dimmer backwards because it will get warm--quick. (Lights don't dim, either). Again, a "friend" mentioned this to me.

This mod ranks up there as one of the easiest to do for the most result. Highly recommended. (See post 11 for Marty's contact info and all the other details you need to do this yourself.)

-Howard
                          Howard,
                          Did you just replace the existing switch with the dimmer or did you add the dimmer in series with the original switch?
                          David & Kari +2 Dogs (Cream & Winston)
                          2020 2600RB (Bill Plemmons in Rural Hall, NC)
                          2017 Ford F-150 5.0L

Comment

Originally posted by DavidC View Post

Howard,
                            Did you just replace the existing switch with the dimmer or did you add the dimmer in series with the original switch?
                            I replaced the switch with the dimmer as shown in Marty's video. My panel looks just like 315RLTSinPA 's in post #5 of this thread, except I don't have anything populated in the porch light slot. (Will probably put the nose LEDs there so I can turn them on and off from inside.)

When the control panel adapters came today I was surprised to find electrical connectors in the bag, too. I had already wired in the dimmers (since I got them first) with connectors I had on hand.

Highly recommended mod--very easy to do if you have a crimper on hand and the items from Marty are top-notch.

Click image for larger version  Name:	surprised.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	8888
                            Last edited by howson; 12-09-2019, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I replaced the switch with the dimmer as shown in Marty's video. My panel looks just like 315RLTSinPA 's in post #5 of this thread, except I don't have anything populated in the porch light slot. (Will probably put the nose LEDs there so I can turn them on and off from inside.)

When the control panel adapters came today I was surprised to find electrical connectors in the bag, too. I had already wired in the dimmers (since I got them first) with connectors I had on hand.

Highly recommended mod--very easy to do if you have a crimper on hand and the items from Marty are top-notch.

Click image for larger version Name:	surprised.JPG Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	8888
                              I'll second that this switch works really well as long as you have the non-illuminated rocker switch. I swapped out our awning switch in about 10 minutes. Our blue illuminated overhead switch is a different beast though. The switch recommended by Marty doesn't work, to dim the overheads, in our 31MB. I'm still looking for a solution there...

Comment

Working...
                              X