Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does vehicle 12 volt power connect from the 7-Pin to RV batteries (3740 BH-R)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does vehicle 12 volt power connect from the 7-Pin to RV batteries (3740 BH-R)

Greetings to all and what a great forum,

I have been trying to determine how the truck 12 volt power is connected to the house batteries on our 3740BH-R. GD tells me it goes through the converter and an examination of the device only has 12 volt output and 120 volt input. I also checked the inverter and saw no 12 volt through put as well. I asked GD for a schematic and was told none are available. (Does anyone have a schematic?)

The reason I am asking is to keep the house batteries charged on travel days since we have a residential refrigerator and a 2000 watt inverter. I have a lot of available power on the truck with dual 220 amp alternators, however, the 7-pin will be the restriction due to wire and connector size. I may have to run larger wiring back to the RV and use a DC to DC charger to control charging.

Does anyone know if the truck 12 volt power through the 7-Pin will keep the house batteries charged on a travel day with the Samsung 15 CF refrigerator operating? (Maybe I don't need to worry)

Thank you for your assistance,

Sarasota Ron

2020 3740BH-R 2021 Ram 3500, Cummins, CC, 8' bed

GREAT ANSWERS AND THANK YOU! Thank you for the truck schematic - gold!

It is as I suspected, the RV house battery is wired in as a parallel to the truck batteries(s). I Can see a future issue with a dead battery or bad cell overdrawing the fuse to the #5 pin on the 7-Pin connector. Will add spare truck fuses to the load-out list (good reminder, need anyway).

My future plan is to run heavy gauge wires from the truck battery, fuses on both sides, to the RV, install a DC-DC charger. Have a connector outside and unplug when stopped.

Now....that's the right way. The jury-rig way is to place a trickle charger at the house batteries and plug the cord into my rear bed 110 volt , 400 watt outlet for the time being.

I feel sorry for anyone entering this life with no mechanical or electrical general knowledge or handy with tools (better have a fat checkbook and a lot of patience, loose schedule...right). It is the expedition life!

Thank you again for all who took time to answer. I love the GD community, great folks!

Sarasota Ron

Last edited by Ron R; 03-29-2021, 10:42 AM.
    2020 3740BH-R
    2021 Ram 3500, Cummins, CC, 8' bed

It goes directly to the battery, possibly via the breakaway switch.

As you suspect, not a lot of power gets through to the trailer. Maybe 7A or so.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Ron R View Post
      Greetings to all and what a great forum,

I have been trying to determine how the truck 12 volt power is connected to the house batteries on our 3740BH-R. GD tells me it goes through the converter and an examination of the device only has 12 volt output and 120 volt input. I also checked the inverter and saw no 12 volt through put as well. I asked GD for a schematic and was told none are available. (Does anyone have a schematic?)

The reason I am asking is to keep the house batteries charged on travel days since we have a residential refrigerator and a 2000 watt inverter. I have a lot of available power on the truck with dual 220 amp alternators, however, the 7-pin will be the restriction due to wire and connector size. I may have to run larger wiring back to the RV and use a DC to DC charger to control charging.

Does anyone know if the truck 12 volt power through the 7-Pin will keep the house batteries charged on a travel day with the Samsung 15 CF refrigerator operating? (Maybe I don't need to worry)

Thank you for your assistance,

Sarasota Ron
      Hi Ron,

Most have the truck's 12V running thru the junction box at the pinbox and then to front compartment copper bus bar with the auto reset circuit breakers via 10 Awg wire, often Black color.

Trailer 7-pin Junction Box 2021-03-26.pdf
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

You’ve hit the nail on the head, for a variety of reasons, the most you’ll ever see out of the stock configuration is about 7A. A few of us have installed the Renogy 40A DC to DC charger, which works great (I think we all have lithium, not sure about lead acid), but requires upgraded wiring to the truck battery. I know at least one person on here has used the 20A version with the factory wiring with good success, if you’re staying with lead acid that may be enough.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I would check the wiring package to see what they have listed.
          https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilde...4XObqxE4%2F%0A
          Not certain, but pages 2&3 SHOW 21A Trailer battery continuous power.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Ron R View Post
            Sarasota Ron
            Neil referenced this in his post--might be of interest: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...e-battle-borns
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              I would check the wiring package to see what they have listed.
              https://www.ramtrucks.com/BodyBuilde...4XObqxE4%2F%0A
              Not certain, but pages 2&3 SHOW 21A Trailer battery continuous power.
              My MY15 GMC wiring is capable of 35amps and is fused to 30amps. I power a 20amp Renogy DCDC from the trailer connector which has worked well, and the D+ or ignition circuit to turn on the Renogy is wired to the trailer marker lights.
              The 7 way connector must be kept clean to efficiently power the Renogy where startup current can approach 25-27amps from the truck.

OEM wiring must be checked before adding the lower amperage 20amp Renogy to the 7 way trailer connector.

Jim
              Last edited by Guest; 03-29-2021, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

My MY15 GMC wiring is capable of 35amps and is fused to 30amps. I power a 20amp Renogy DCDC from the trailer connector which has worked well, and the D+ or ignition circuit to turn on the Renogy is wired to the trailer marker lights.
                The 7 way connector must be kept clean to efficiently power the Renogy where startup current can approach 25-27amps from the truck.

OEM wiring must be checked before adding the lower amperage 20amp Renogy to the 7 way trailer connector.

Jim
                I just installed 2 lithium batteries and am considering the 20 amp DCDC, on the OEM truck wiring. My concern is not as much with charging the batteries, as not frying my alternator (I will check OEM wiring size first). Is that a pretty basic install?
                I did notice, when disconnecting the 7 pin from my truck yesterday, I dropped the cable of the 7 pin from the trailer and it went face down onto the frame of the trailer, creating quite a spark, as the 12V pin hit the frame. I was unaware that would be hot after disconnecting from from the truck....or is something messed up in my wiring???
                Perhaps I've just never made the perfect drop onto the frame before....
                Thanks,
                Erik
                Erik & Tea
                2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                2005 Ford Excursion 6L diesel
                ProPride hitch

Comment

The 12v trailer side pin is hot all the time.
                  Ted
                  2021 Reflection 310RLS
                  2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

X2 on Teds reply. The trailer connector is hot all the time.

Jim

Comment

TedS Guest
                      Thank you....can’t believe sparks have never flown before now...I will be more careful.
                      ​​​​​​​Erik
                      Erik & Tea
                      2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                      ProPride hitch

Comment

Jim, did you mount the DCDC charger in the TT pass-thru storage? Running a wire from 7 pin plug junction box to DCDC charger then back to junction box?
                        Erik
                        Erik & Tea
                        2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                        ProPride hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Popga View Post
                          Jim, did you mount the DCDC charger in the TT pass-thru storage? Running a wire from 7 pin plug junction box to DCDC charger then back to junction box?
                          Erik
                          Yes the DCDC as well as a new ACDC charger was mounted in the passthrough. I disconnected the black charge wire from the TV at the trailer and ran it with with a dedicated 8AWG marine cable straight to the DCDC. Only one other circuit is connected to this line which is my tire minder where it will power up when the 7 way is connected to the truck since this circuit is now isolated from the TV lithium battery. Since the charge line is fused on the truck side, there was no need to add any additional protection. The D+ or ignition circuit to activate the DCDC is connected to the RV marker/running lights. I made up the panel and wired it up outside the rig since I cannot work in the passthrough. Three fused lower back disks and two more in the neck has a way of forcing some creative thinking. Lol.

Be sure your truck has the wiring in place to power the DCDC. I connected this out on the driveway to test it in advance and before wiring it into the RV. It will have a startup current up to 27amps from what I witnessed. Also the 7 way connect must be kept clean so it can pass this current through without excessive resistance.

Jim
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nicely done! Just what I need...
                            I mounted my PD9160AL in the space behind the AC DC panel on my rig. Its where the old charger was. Its a long way from the batteries but will have to do for now. One step at a time.
                            ​​​​​​​Erik
                            Erik & Tea
                            2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                            ProPride hitch

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	6E749BD6-C690-4C6E-B526-662931D08345.jpeg
Views:	787
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	50283Is the panel with yellow arrow the “4th wall” of you box? Or is it attached right where it is?
                              Erik
                              Erik & Tea
                              2021 Reflection 297RSTS
                              ProPride hitch

Comment

Working...
                              X