Main breaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main breaker

Is it necessary to have your main breaker off in the rig before turning on or plugging into shore power. I read some do this and others don't. I do test power source by plugging in and turning on my surge protector before attaching to rig. I have 50amp service
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

I'll start off by saying NO. I start with the pedestal box Off. I plug in my 50 amp Progressive Industries surge protector. Turn the pedestal power On. Make sure the proper green lights are displayed. I turn Off the pedestal power. I plug in my shore cord to the surge protector, advise the DW I'm turning on the power and flip the breaker On.
    Others may have a variation to this, so let's see what happens.
    Good luck with your camping experiences.

Comment

I always turn the breaker off at the post before connecting the shore power cord. If you connect with power turned on at the post there may be some arcing that occurs when the plug blades enter the socket. This will weaken the socket and also may damage the blades on your cord. I fist attach the cord to the RV then to the shore power post and then turn on the breaker at the post , making sure that all connections are secure before turning the breaker on. I have a hardwired on board EMS that will tell me if there is any issues with the shore power.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
        Is it necessary to have your main breaker off in the rig before turning on or plugging into shore power. I read some do this and others don't. I do test power source by plugging in and turning on my surge protector before attaching to rig. I have 50amp service
        I agree with TNFSolitude , turning off the camper's 50A breakers on the Power Distribution Panel in the camper is not necessary. What Brian Country Campers wrote in his reply is exactly what I do. If my EMS "sees" an issue it will not pass power to the camper.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Also worth consideration is that circuit breakers are not designed to be used as switches. Repeatedly turning them off manually may weaken their trip current capability. I do turn off the post breaker before connecting or disconnecting, but not the breaker inside the RV.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
          X