50amp 6/3 or 6/4 wire from shore-power to panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50amp 6/3 or 6/4 wire from shore-power to panel

I am planning to add an inverter/charger to my 2020 Reflection 303RLS in the future. I am leaning towards a Magnum MSH3012RV because it's my understanding the inverter will use both L1 and L2 whereas the MultiPlus only uses L1 (although I think the new MultiPlus II can do both). Anyway, I was looking around in the basement and I believe I see the shore-power cable and notice the jacket says 6/3. I had assumed it would have been 6/4. My panel has both a black L1 and red L2 AC hot lines going into the left and right side of the panel respectively. Does the cable really have all four conducters (black, red, white, green)? Maybe I don't properly understand 6/3 versus 6/4.

Jeff
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Welcome to the forum! It has 4 connectors, red, black, green, and white. One of the electrical engineers will be by to explain this later, fore I have no clue.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

herman I'll have to look at the wiring in my 303. From what I remember wiring is labeled by the number of conductors and size negating the ground. so 6/4 would be 4 conductors #6 in size usually with a ground that may be a different size. 6/3 would be 3 conductors #6 in size usually with a ground that may be a different size.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by herman View Post
        I am planning to add an inverter/charger to my 2020 Reflection 303RLS in the future. I am leaning towards a Magnum MSH3012RV because it's my understanding the inverter will use both L1 and L2 whereas the MultiPlus only uses L1 (although I think the new MultiPlus II can do both). Anyway, I was looking around in the basement and I believe I see the shore-power cable and notice the jacket says 6/3. I had assumed it would have been 6/4. My panel has both a black L1 and red L2 AC hot lines going into the left and right side of the panel respectively. Does the cable really have all four conducters (black, red, white, green)? Maybe I don't properly understand 6/3 versus 6/4.

Jeff
        They don’t count the uninsulated conductors. Since the factory cabling is romex, the ground is bare, so it’s designated 6/3. If you want to use SO cable to tie in the inverter (which most of us do as it’s more flexible and easier to work with) all the conductors are insulated and it’s designated 6/4. Whatever you use you’ll need four 6AWG conductors.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

It would be called 6/3 with ground, 4 wires.
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Working...
          X