Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converter keeps tripping

Hi all!

We recently purchased our 2021 2670MK Imagine and this week while camping, I came in to find the converter breaker tripped and the battery indicators showing the battery is completely drained after being hooked up to shore power. Tonight, while at home connected to 30 amp service, it did the same thing again.

I have noticed that the fan in the breaker box is running with nothing but the lights and fridge running.

Would this be an indicator that our battery is bad? If not, what else could be wrong?

I used the battery disconnect and noticed that the fan was not running after the disconnect.

Thanks!

With the battery disconnect off , you can pull the red handle out , the battery may not charge while hooked to shore power. You may want to check the battery terminals to make sure that they are wired correctly , red to positive , black to negative. Also follow the battery cables to the small breakers on the trailer tongue to make sure they are connected properly. When you use the disconnect and the fan does not run this may mean that the battery is deeply discharged and may be bad. Any auto store could check the battery for you to see if it is good , you could also check with a meter if you have one. Having the issue that you are having I would lean towards a bad battery.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks Brian!

Comment

Originally posted by Myke729 View Post
        Hi all!

We recently purchased our 2021 2670MK Imagine and this week while camping, I came in to find the converter breaker tripped and the battery indicators showing the battery is completely drained after being hooked up to shore power. Tonight, while at home connected to 30 amp service, it did the same thing again.

I have noticed that the fan in the breaker box is running with nothing but the lights and fridge running.

Would this be an indicator that our battery is bad? If not, what else could be wrong?

I used the battery disconnect and noticed that the fan was not running after the disconnect.

Thanks!
        Are you actually finding the circuit breaker for the converter tripped (115v) or the fuses on the converter blown (12v).

I’m going to assume you mean the breaker since that’s what you said. If you misspoke disregard this. It’s rare the converter would trip the 115v breaker, it’s usually on its own breaker and it does not draw near the 15 amps the breaker is rated to. If that breaker is tripping I would guess either you’ve got a broken wire occasionally shorting, a bad breaker, or a bad converter; in that order. Once the breaker trips the converter is essentially off, so even though you were on shore power nothing was powering your 12v loads except your battery, and nothing was charging it. It would not surprise me it would die.

Assuming you have a standard flooded lead acid battery, they can only really be drawn down to 50%. If it was completely drained you’ve probably damaged it, possibly irrevocably. Once you get your converter straightened out you may be looking at a replacement battery.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Myke729 Looking in the parts bin from GD, your camper is running a separate converter thus its deck mounted somewhere else. You may want to locate the converter and check for proper cooling and to see if there are any other obvious issues. Those feature an integrated power cord to a plug buried in somewhere. You may try unplugging from the distribution panel and using an extension chord power the converter from a different source. Also is the converter on a 15A breaker? It may be undersized if it shares the circuit with any other equipment since the converter is rated at 15 amp draw.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X