Reflection 5th Wheel Power Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflection 5th Wheel Power Issue

I have a 2017 Reflection 5th Wheel 367BHS and experienced some power issues this weekend. I connected to the 50amp power pole at a nice RV park and everything worked fine for several days until my wife plugged an "Insta-pot" pressure cooker into one of the exterior (storage) outlets. I didn't realize it at the time, but it tripped the breaker for "Converter/Recept" and I only noticed an issue when the refrigerator gave a "lo dc" and "L1 Op" error message. I checked the battery charge and it was low (one light on the panel) and measured only 9.6 volts at the battery with a volt meter. After resetting the breaker the battery (only a few months old) continued to deplete charge until we ultimately after several hours lost all power, even though we remained plugged into the 50 amp power pole. I was under the impression that if we were plugged into the power pole, the battery would recharge to keep all the 12v systems working...but that obviously didn't happen in this case, maybe because the battery charge was too low. When I plugged the RV into my truck, everything worked fine and the battery began charging again. After a 6 hour ride back home, the battery had charged to 3 lights on the panel and about 12v on the battery. I am testing it now at home by keeping it plugged into a regular power outlet with the refrigerator on to see if the battery drains down again. If it does, does this sound like I fried my battery, or is it perhaps an issue with the AC/DC converter board? Thanks.
    Last edited by ToddRay; 04-05-2021, 04:07 PM.

Originally posted by ToddRay View Post
    I have a 2017 Reflection 5th Wheel 367BHS and experienced some power issues this weekend. I connected to the 50amp power pole at a nice RV park and everything worked fine for several days until my wife plugged an "Insta-pot" pressure cooker into one of the exterior (storage) outlets. I didn't realize it at the time, but it tripped the breaker for "Converter/Recept" and I only noticed an issue when the refrigerator gave a "lo dc" and "L1 Op" error message. I checked the battery charge and it was low (one light on the panel) and measured only 9.6 volts at the battery with a volt meter. After resetting the breaker the battery (only a few months old) continued to deplete charge until we ultimately after several hours lost all power, even though we remained plugged into the 50 amp power pole. I was under the impression that if we were plugged into the power pole, the battery would recharge to keep all the 12v systems working...but that obviously didn't happen in this case, maybe because the battery charge was too low. When I plugged the RV into my truck, everything worked fine and the battery began charging again. After a 6 hour ride back home, the battery had charged to 3 lights on the panel and about 12v on the battery. I am testing it now at home by keeping it plugged into a regular power outlet with the refrigerator on to see if the battery drains down again. If it does, does this sound like I fried my battery, or is it perhaps an issue with the AC/DC converter board? Thanks.
    This sounds like a converter issue. It is responsible from "converting" your shore power into battery power. If the converter had an issue then your 12v appliances would be running off of the battery with no charging. There are fuses on the converter itself, it would be worth checking them to see if maybe they popped when you powered it back on. If those fuses are good, then you would want to check the output of the converter. If you have a multimeter, it should be easy, put it on the battery with shore power disconnected and have some one plug the shore power in while you watch the voltage. You should see it go up when you connect shore power. If it stays the same there is an issue with the converter. Is the outlet you connected the instapot to working now that you reset the breaker?

It would make sense that it would charge when connected to the truck. The trucks power system is 12V same as the trailer, so the charging wire in the trailer to truck connection bypasses the converter.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

If the battery disconnect is turned off , red handle is removed , the battery may not charge.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks. I will check the output of the converter as suggested. The outlet used for the Insta-pot did work after resetting the breaker. The battery disconnect is on, so I ruled out that as the root cause. Thanks again! Todd R.

Comment

Originally posted by ToddRay View Post
          Thanks. I will check the output of the converter as suggested. The outlet used for the Insta-pot did work after resetting the breaker. The battery disconnect is on, so I ruled out that as the root cause. Thanks again! Todd R.
          Okay so if the outlet turned back on with the breaker, you should be good there, so yeah I’d check your battery voltage with and without the converter. I’d expect it to be 14ish with shore power connected and somewhat less than 13, maybe even less than 12 with shore power off (depending how depleted the battery is).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

OK thanks again Neil. I will reply back once I have checked the battery voltage with and without the converter. Appreciate the info!!

Comment

Working...
            X