Added 12V accessory and USB charging ports to passthru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added 12V accessory and USB charging ports to passthru

I wanted to have a 12VDC power source on the curbside of the trailer so I could run my GMG Davy Crockett smoker while boondocking. So I installed this 3-in-1 setup that has the needed 12VDC accessory port (i.e. cigarette lighter port), dual QC 3.0 USB charging ports, LED voltage meter and toggle switch. I tapped into the passthru lighting wiring for my 12VDC source. All-in-all, it was a pretty simple mod that took me about 30 minutes to complete.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Files
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
    USMC Veteran

Jeff

GD , along with all manufactures , like to daisy chain a lot of things in these RV's. Check to make sure that there is a proper size fuse to handle the load that you will be putting on that circuit. Along with another thread about the hidden fuse behind the control panel I have found quite a few items that are running off of the same fuse.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Heavysledz When I recently added a 12 volt power source to our passthrough on our 2600RB I used the number 10? wires from the battery that connect to the factory prep for the solar. I added a 20 amp inline fuse to protect that circuit. I looked at the lighting circuit but was concerned about the size of the wire for the load from a 12 volt compressor. In tracing that wire I believe it was already protected by a 30 amp fuse down on the frame. Great looking install BTW.

Dave
      flyfshrockies, 2021 imagine 2600RB, Ford F-150, XLT supper crew 3.5 eco boost with max tow. Dave and Toni (and the awesome Aussie Bayley, he's the social one)

Comment

flyfshrockiesCountry Campers , thanks for the feedback and valid advice. I did check before hand and found this source to be on a 15amp fuse in the PD box. From what I could tell, it was only powering the LED lights on the front cap, the passthru lights and the reading lights above the bed. I have since tapped into this line for the TireLinc and now the 12V accessory port. This source is up stream of the useless battery disconnect so it is powered all the time, which is why I put switches on both the TireLinc prep and the 12V accessory port. At a later date, when I install the solar system, I will be installing a few bus bars for tapping directly from the battery. At that time, I plan on rewiring the TireLinc and 12v accessory port directly to the bus bar. They both have their own inline fuses so they should be protected.

Since, I will likely only be using the 12V accessory port to power my smoker which will be during the day (max of 10amps), I shouldn't run into a situation where I am overloading the circuit as the lighting that is also tied to this will likely not be used during the daytime. If I do have issues or blow a fuse, I will install the bus bar in advance of the solar install and have that fed directly from the battery.
        Jeff and Debbie
        2021 Imagine 2250RK
        2015 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD Crew Cab Short Bed Factory Air-Ride Auto Level
        USMC Veteran

Comment

Working...
        X