Advice on AGM batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on AGM batteries

For a variety of reasons that are not important to this question I have decided to go with a couple of AGM batteries to replace our current (2) x 6V flooded set. They all seem to be in general ballpark range of each other in pricing and specs so I'm looking for some feedback on the performance and longevity of three different brands:

Lifeline
    Trojan
    VMax

Are there any significant differences or has anyone has any issues with any of these brands?
    2017 310GK

Hi Jeff.

Are you going to stay with two six-volt batteries in series, or switch to two 12 volt in parallel? If you can provide the model numbers for the three batteries you're interested in, we can probably make an educated guess on which might be the best purchase for your money.

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Hi Jeff.

Are you going to stay with two six-volt batteries in series, or switch to two 12 volt in parallel? If you can provide the model numbers for the three batteries you're interested in, we can probably make an educated guess on which might be the best purchase for your money.
      Hi Jim,

I am currently using (2) Interstate GC2-ECL-UTL 6v batteries in series and unless there are strong arguments against, I would like to keep that setup. They are both in vented boxes so I would prefer to maintain the current form factor.

I am looking hard at the Trojan T105-AGM, as well as the Lifeline GPL-4CT. The Vmax XTR6-235 seems to be a different form factor. I dismissed FullRiver in favor of Lifeline based on vendor recommendation. Should I be investigating another brand as well?
      2017 310GK

Comment

I'd stay with the current series configuration you have also. It's hard to beat the reputation of Trojan Batteries. Many owners have had a lot of success with them.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Thanks Jim,

Since I can land the Trojans at my door for less money as well, I think that will be the direction I'll go. I want to have them in for Quartzsite this year.
          2017 310GK

Comment

I think Paul, Paul & Deb has used flooded Trojan batteries for several years and they've held up well.
            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

I think Paul, Paul & Deb has used flooded Trojan batteries for several years and they've held up well.
              Yup, mine have been in service for 6 full years now and still going strong. I can't find any argument or justification to change.
              Paul and Deb Cervone
              2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
              2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
              2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

Yup, mine have been in service for 6 full years now and still going strong. I can't find any argument or justification to change.
                That's a pretty good endorsement.
                2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy's 5th Wheel View Post

I am also looking at changing my 12 volt group 27 dual Lead acid batteries to dual 6 volt Trojans. But did not realize I could get 6 volt as AGM. Would that be worth the cost or just stick with the lead acid T105 Trojans? Not dealing with the watering, sure would be nice but it’s really not a big deal.
                  Vivian
                  2018 Reflection 303rls
                  Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                  Demco Recon

Comment

JeffC , I installed lifelines, 4 6V, based on the military spec, and warranty for RV use is a full 5 years. I also owned (now sold) 8 6V Trojans in a 17 foot (not a typo) 14 passenger golf "cart" that performed well. They were about $50 less each than the lifelines, and replaced the 7 year old T105s. I owned the lifelines first and would purchase them again for the RV. They are approaching 3 years old and are on their 2nd fifth wheel. Perform as new. When we boondock, the batteries become rather discharged. For this reason, the higher cost of the lifelines with their warranty was worth it for me. But if I was installing a large bank, I would probably use the Trojans. And minimal maintenace on either brand. I wouldn't go back to the flooded ones.
                    Dave and Darren Bakersfield, CA
                    2019 GMC Denali dually 4x4 duramax, BW puck hitch, timbrens
                    2015 Chevrolet 3500 CC duramax SB SRW (much loved; replaced with dually)
                    2021 Solitude 390 RK-R (3 A/C, solar, gen, 8K axles DP glass), comfort ride shocks, VIN 03584
                    Max and Riley, our chihuahua/jack russell furbabies

Comment

My 2 12v agm batteries went 7 years giving good service. Require minimal ventilation and attention.
                      Ted
                      2021 Reflection 310RLS
                      2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

I just received two of the Vmax XTR6-235's last week (got them on sale). Haven't installed them yet due to the cold weather we're having. They're sitting in my office fully charged. Before the weather turned I managed to get the Camco duel battery box installed and the dying Interstate resides in there for now. During this wet part I have gone out and removed the cover to check on the resistance to said weather and so far I'm please it seems to prevent water from entering. That's good because to start off with I plan to mount my Victron SmartShunt 500A/50mV on top of one of the batteries until I'm finally able to install my off grid system in the pass through. That said, I guess I'm rolling the dice here.
                        Grand Design Imagine 2450RL 2020 born 7/2019
                        TV - 2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4X4 Limited w/Towing PKG under 30K miles, hanger queen until now

Comment

After looking at the different AGM offerings, I will be buying Lifeline. The 5 year warranty, mil spec and made in US are worth the extra cost. My next decision is whether to keep the existing Group 27 configuration at 100 ah each or change to a dual 6 volt battery configuration at 225 ah each. Seems I can get an additional 12 ah from them when run down to 50%?
                          Vivian
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                            After looking at the different AGM offerings, I will be buying Lifeline. The 5 year warranty, mil spec and made in US are worth the extra cost. My next decision is whether to keep the existing Group 27 configuration at 100 ah each or change to a dual 6 volt battery configuration at 225 ah each. Seems I can get an additional 12 ah from them when run down to 50%?
                            One thing to consider. If you go with two 12V batteries and one of them fails, you can remove the failed battery from the circuit and continue camping until you can locate a replacement. If you have two six volt batteries and one fails, you will need to replace it before you can continue camping.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

One thing to consider. If you go with two 12V batteries and one of them fails, you can remove the failed battery from the circuit and continue camping until you can locate a replacement. If you have two six volt batteries and one fails, you will need to replace it before you can continue camping.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I had not realized that. I will stick to current configuration then.
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                              X