No announcement yet.

Champion Portable Inverter/Generator: Help Me Decide, Open Frame vs Enclosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Portable Inverter/Generator: Help Me Decide, Open Frame vs Enclosed

Morning all,
    After reading several threads here (thanks for the info), we are planning to buy a Champion "Dual Fuel" portable generator and will use it primarily on propane.

Based on our energy use & camping style, we need Propane Rated Watts of 2500watts or higher to meet our maximum use.

Champion 3400 Model # 100263. $1,075: 2790propane rated watts / Noise dBa is 59 at 23ft / 95lbs

Champion 4000 Model # 100574 $590 OPEN FRAME: 3150propane rated watts /. Noise dBa is 64 at 23ft. / 82lbs

Questions:
    Is 5 dBa less noise worth the 45% increased cost?
    Is 5dBa louder really that much difference from 20ft away?
    Would either of these dBa ratings prevent running in say, State Parks w no hook-ups?

Watched several YouATube videos of both generators running at load but its very hard to compare the noise from a video.

Hoping some of you may have used or heard the Open Frame and/or the enclosed units running and can provide some guidance.

Thank you!
    Sadie & Matt
    (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
    2021 303 RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Open frame is noisy. dB is logarithmic so 5 dB is a big difference. Stick with the standard inverter.

Be aware that propane consumption is pretty high. You’ll drain a 30lb bottle every other day with moderate use
    Last edited by Jkwilson; 04-12-2021, 07:51 AM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

It's amazing that it doubles the price to reduce the noise so much.

If price is not an issue, think ahead as to what you will be running. 30amp RV will pull 3600watts. You may want to pick a slightly larger generator. I know my 3500 watt non inverter champion would struggle a little running the AC and HWH, it would do it, but it eventually took it's toll on the breaker system. Also with a higher rated generator you tend to get a better starting wattage.

If staying in places with "quiet hours" less noise is always a plus as they limit the noise to a set level at XXX distance.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by S&M_G View Post
        Morning all,
        After reading several threads here (thanks for the info), we are planning to buy a Champion "Dual Fuel" portable generator and will use it primarily on propane.

Based on our energy use & camping style, we need Propane Rated Watts of 2500watts or higher to meet our maximum use.

Champion 3400 Model # 100263. $1,075: 2790propane rated watts / Noise dBa is 59 at 23ft / 95lbs

Hoping some of you may have used or heard the Open Frame and/or the enclosed units running and can provide some guidance.

Thank you!
        I own the 3400 champion. I have tested it out but not used in the wild yet. It runs my 15,000 btu a/c and fridge on propane just fine with no problem at all, not even on startup. (I have never put gasoline in mine) I did not try it with a/c and microwave. You would just need to be careful not to run too much at one time.

I would personally not even consider any generator over 59 or 60db. Open frame type, no way.

The 3400 is ok for noise but not great. From inside you can hear it running outside the trailer but not awful. Outside right near it, a bit too loud for me. (watch for others camped near you)

I had a Honda 3000is years ago and stupid me sold it when I got a whole house generator and no trailer. I was spoiled with the Honda. It was soooooo quiet. So I judge all by that now (unfairly).

BTW, careful comparing db's of generators. From what I gather most are from 20 feet away and NOT at full load. My old Honda was 50-59 dB depending on load with 59 at full.

Terry and Patty (Dogs-Sophie and Tessa)
        2020 Reflection 297RSTS - bought Oct 2019
        2021 F350 crew cab, SRW, 6.7L diesel, 14K equal-i-zer hitch

Comment

Questions:
          Would either of these dBa ratings prevent running in say, State Parks w no hook-ups?
          We have the 3400 dual fuel, always run on propane only. I don't hear much difference between our generator and Honda 3000s that we've been near. I think my hearing's not bad but my wife has asserted otherwise.

As Jkwilson said above db is a logarithmic scale. That means that a 10db increase in sound pressure is a doubling of that pressure. The dba ratings are slightly more complicated because they are adjusted to under-value frequencies that the human ear doesn't hear well, but when comparing dba to dba yes, the open-frame generator will be readily perceived as a fair bit louder than the 3400.

Good luck with your choice.
          Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Running two generators each 59 bB results in a sound level of 62 dB. Still less than one at 64 dB. I would pay more for less noise, especially for use in a generally quiet campground.
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Morning all,

Champion 4000 Model # 100574 $590 OPEN FRAME: 3150propane rated watts /. Noise dBa is 64 at 23ft. / 82lbs

Questions:

Watched several YouATube videos of both generators running at load but its very hard to compare the noise from a video.

Thank you!
              Since you asked, I would never use an open frame for RV purposes. I would even verify if I were you if the open frame is the inverter style or not.
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

Since you asked, I would never use an open frame for RV purposes. I would even verify if I were you if the open frame is the inverter style or not.

Champion does make an open frame inverter generator.

John & Kathy
                2014 Reflection 303RLS
                2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post

Champion does make an open frame inverter generator.
                  cool, thank you.
                  Dave and Sue
                  2020 GD 2250RK
                  2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                  Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                  GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                  SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

@S&M_G - If you buy the open frame, noisier unit, please publish your camping itinerary so that none of us will be near you.

Seriously, noisy generators make bad neighbors, and RVing is about making friends and being near nature, not a construction site.
                    2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by Jkwilson View Post
                      Open frame is noisy. dB is logarithmic so 5 dB is a big difference. Stick with the standard inverter.

Be aware that propane consumption is pretty high. You’ll drain a 30lb bottle every other day with moderate use
                      Excellent point on the logarithmic scale. We use a Champion 3500 Inverter with electric start. I have no problem strapping the generator in the back of the truck where the heavy duty plastic gas can is also strapped in. These generators (if you buy a dual fuel) will also put out higher power on gasoline versus propane if that matters. This generator has an eco mode so if your just charging, it can throttle down and as a result will be very quiet. Its a bit heavy so I use a ramp to load and unload it and will run it from the back of the truck when camping.
                      The only issue I've found are the wheels need to be larger to move over the ground more efficiently. The remote electric start has come in very handy for us as well.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cham...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2021, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Thank you all very much for the info. Love learning new things every time I visit this forum!! Had no idea about algorithmic impact on dBa or that 64 would be that noisy

While we don’t plan to use it in a park w neighbors, it’s for boondocking (hopefully w no neighbor), the quieter model appears to be the best choice.
                        Thanks again!!
                        Sadie & Matt
                        (w/ 2d Mate Toby the traveling tabby)
                        2021 303 RLS
                        2020 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 w/6.7L Cummins
                        Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Comment

Working...
                        X