SurgeGuard and 40300 Monitor Panel in a Solitude 380FL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SurgeGuard and 40300 Monitor Panel in a Solitude 380FL

If this a redundant post, I apologize. I did a search and only produced one post.

I recently purchased a Solitude 380FL. I am installing the 50amp SurgeGuard and the monitor panel (40300). I have found a place and mounted the SurgeGuard but, I don't know where the best place to mount the monitor panel would be. My first thought is the same place the control panel is for the slides and awnings, etc. but, the control panel takes up almost all the space. There is a good amount of blank space on the control panel (except for the Grand Design logo).

Where would a "professional" installer locate the monitor (40300) panel?

Thank you for your time and patience.
    Last edited by howson; 05-03-2021, 07:03 AM.
    2020 F350 and 2021 Solitude 380FL

Welcome to the family and the forum!

I can't answer your question, but I see that you are a new member and wanted to take a moment to let you know that the moderators have put together a Welcome Letter for new members to help them navigate the forum and have the best possible experience here. You can find it at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by eastindy View Post
      Where would a "professional" installer locate the monitor (40300) panel?.
      I'll echo Jerry's post and first say "Welcome to the Forum!"

I don't have a 380FL, but I do have a small monitor for the Progressive Dynamics EMS in my 315RLTS. I mounted it at "eye level" when standing outside of the coach. Why? Because verifying I have good power at the campsite is one of the very first steps I perform before doing any setup. (If I had bad power I'd want to move.)

So...the only spot I can see on your 380FL is at the end of the hutch, but I don't know if there's room here.

Good luck, and please post back once you install the panel and post a picture or two.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	380FL.JPG
Views:	410
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	50479

As a reference, this is the view of my monitor from outside of the camper as referenced earlier:

Click image for larger version

Name:	View from the door.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	50480
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the welcomes and replies.

I ended up putting my monitor panel in the main switch panel shown in the previous photo:

I will get a picture for future reference.

Again, Thank you.

Comment

Sorry it took me so long but, here is the completed installation.

Comment

eastindy -- very clean looking. Nice job! I'm going to change the title of this thread and add it to the Modifications list.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for the compliment.
              The original panel had a Grand Design logo where the monitor panel is now located.
              Behind that logo, there is a precut knockout that is almost the same size as the back part of the monitor panel. Once that is knocked/cut out, it needed a little vertical widening and some of the wood behind needed to be trimmed to fit correctly.

I'm no master fabricator. A pocket knife or razor knife is all it initially took. A bit of Dremel or small saw work finishes up the final trimming.

Any one else trying this, just take your time and just trim a little bit at a time. I did a lot of test fitting between trimming attempts.

Comment

Thanks for this post and picture. Where did you mount the Surgeguard?
                TheDunlap’s

Comment

I mounted the SureGuard inside the front pass-through storage area. That is the back access to the cabinet where the power/fuse/breaker panel is located. I had just enough cable from the 50amp connector towards the rear of the trailer, to mount the SureGuard under the living room floor. I purchased 6ft of 6ga. wire to then connect to the panel. 6ft was well more than enough but, it is hard to work with a wire that is too short.

I can get some pics if desired.

Comment

Pictures would be extremely helpful if you don’t mind. Thank you!
                    TheDunlap’s

Comment

The first photo is from outside looking into the passthrough storage area.

The second one is from inside looking up the the installed SurgeGuard.

I had to remove the middle panel to get that picture but, you can see the edge of the first panel on the left.

I hope this helps.

Of course, all of the install was done without any power coming in to the trailer.

Comment

This helped a lot! Thank you!
                        TheDunlap’s

Comment

Great job! I like putting it on the top. I moved the inverter and converter from the floor in mine to vertical supports. Now they are out of the way and can't get wet from a leak.
                          Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                          Nash County, NC
                          2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Working...
                          X