Question about EMS HW30C installation on a 2021 XLS22MLE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about EMS HW30C installation on a 2021 XLS22MLE

Good evening everyone and thank you for allowing me to join the forum! I am getting ready to install a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on our new XLS 22MLE tomorrow and after searching high and low through this page and on various FB pages I still have a few questions I was hoping I can get some clarity on.

In the rear of the electrical panel (fuse block/ breaker box) there is a large connector that holds both an orange wire sheath and a black wire sheath (in one connector). It is my understanding that this large orange incoming sheath is the one to use as the incoming connection to the EMS, can someone confirm this for me please?

In the instructions it also has 2 options for time delay (15 or 133 seconds) depending on whether or not the installed AC has a built in time delay or not. I saw a previous post showing website info that the AC may cycle off for a few minutes for protection and my manual says a similar thing. Do we know if this means it has a built in time delay or not? If not the EMS is supposed to have a 133 second time delay, if so it is supposed to be set for a 15 second time delay instead.

Also any pics or links showing installation on this specific TT would be fantastic as I have been unable to find one. Thank you everyone!

Brian
    Brian and Jonni
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE owners from middle TN

TNWRANGLER Welcome to the family and the forum! Mine is on a 15 second delay. That gives me time to connect and then open come inside and check the remote to make sure is all ok.

As far as Placement, I can't tell you where, but it needs to be in the line between the plug in receptical and anything else, such as a a transfer switch.
    Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
    Nash County, NC
    2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Thank you for the welcome ThePowells!! My understanding is that on this model and without a generator that it is not equipped with a transfer switch, is that correct? The incoming 110 outlet is pretty difficult to access under the sink and cabinets however it looks like the incoming wiring to the electrical box would be an OK installation location. Thanks again for your input, I really appreciate it!
      Brian and Jonni

Comment

Your right about the transfer switch option, and IHNI (I have no idea) if your 22MLE (but I belive not) has the ability to physically support a generator. The closer you can get it to the breaker panel the easier to install the remote display..
        Last edited by ThePowells; 04-14-2021, 11:48 PM.
        Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
        Nash County, NC
        2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

ThePowells thanks again. Yup installing right at the breaker panel is the plan. I’m pretty confident that the orange sheathed wire is the correct wire to access but not 100% sure and was hoping someone who has done this before could confirm.
          Brian and Jonni

Comment

Something in the back of my mind is telling me that it should be a round black cable, almost similar to your shore power cable. Orange wrapped sound suspiciously like Romex. Unless you can veify that Romex runs from the exterior plug, I would sit tight until somebody a lot more familiar chimes in. I would hate to have you cut the wrong one, especially based on anything I am telling you.
            Nash County, NC
            2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by TNWRANGLER View Post
              Good evening everyone and thank you for allowing me to join the forum! I am getting ready to install a Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C on our new XLS 22MLE tomorrow and after searching high and low through this page and on various FB pages I still have a few questions I was hoping I can get some clarity on.

In the rear of the electrical panel (fuse block/ breaker box) there is a large connector that holds both an orange wire sheath and a black wire sheath (in one connector). It is my understanding that this large orange incoming sheath is the one to use as the incoming connection to the EMS, can someone confirm this for me please?

In the instructions it also has 2 options for time delay (15 or 133 seconds) depending on whether or not the installed AC has a built in time delay or not. I saw a previous post showing website info that the AC may cycle off for a few minutes for protection and my manual says a similar thing. Do we know if this means it has a built in time delay or not? If not the EMS is supposed to have a 133 second time delay, if so it is supposed to be set for a 15 second time delay instead.

Also any pics or links showing installation on this specific TT would be fantastic as I have been unable to find one. Thank you everyone!

Brian
              I (obviously) don't own your Imagine, but perhaps my install will provide some insight: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...a-2019-315rlts
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks you both and great write up. On the 22MLE the 30 amp power chord coming into the rig is wrapped in orange sheathing but it is very difficult to get to. There is a similar looking orange sheathed wiring loom coming to fuse box from under the floor that I’m assuming/hoping is the same circuit. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows for sure but I thank you both for your input!
                Brian and Jonni

Comment

TNWRANGLER If you pull the front off the distribution center, you should be able to see the wire that leads to the main breaker (I strongly suggest you do this with shore power and battery disconnected for safety). Where the wire comes in to the panel and before the main, there should be a small section with sheathing still on it. Hopefully this is enough for you to determine which line is power IN. You may also be able to see the wiring orientation to help determine which one of the lines will be shore power. I would not be surprised to find that the loom is used to cover a group of wires that drop back into through the floor to feed the rest of the unit.

Looking at pictures of the unit online, the incoming power is on the rear of the unit about where the left side of the sink is and the converter is on the street side under the closet.

Another give away should be wiring size. The 30amp shore power wire is probably bigger in size than any wiring coming out of the converter to the 120v circuits.

Any pictures you have will also help.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 thank you. I haven’t gotten into the back of the box yet as I was hoping to get a little more info before I did. I’ll post a photo a little later today when I can get out there. I really appreciate everyone’s input here!
                    Brian and Jonni

Comment

TNWRANGLER by what I see online, you should be able to pull the drawer above the converter to get a picture and better understanding of what's really back there.

You may also be able to access it through the seating area. Depends on how the seat and that cabinet are constructed.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by TNWRANGLER View Post
                        On the 22MLE the 30 amp power cord coming into the rig is wrapped in orange sheathing but it is very difficult to get to
                        30A Inlet wiring to the power center should be 10 Awg Romex.

Nowdays Romex (Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable NM-B) typical colors on the Jacket/Sheathing:
                        (Have to verify the imprinted markings to be sure of the wire gauge.)

Blue or White - 14 Awg
                        Yellow - 12 Awg
                        Orange - 10 Awg
                        Black - 8 Awg
                        Black - 6 Awg

Nicholas Moreles had some picts behind his 22MLE's power center wiring on the Solar-powered Grand Design RV FB group.
                        Gene and Kim
                        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help. I got into it and decided I was not comfortable cutting the wire and wasn’t able to figure out how to unplug the the 110 plugs from the electrical panel. Think I’m going to bail on this project and buy a plug in one for now. Sometimes you have to know when you’re over your head lol.
                          Brian and Jonni

Comment

TNWRANGLER if you can figure out what size the incoming wire is, pull it out of the main breaker vs cutting it and adding a short piece. That way if anything happens (like sell the unit) you can pull the EMS for the new unit.

Do you have a picture of the plug you are referring to? If its like some of the ones I have seen before in trailers or some other placed they are like the scotch lock or trailer connectors. The complete back needs to be removed for getting into the plug. check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSHJBZ1qGWM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e2HJftsEJM for the 2 types I can think of for plug in style outlets.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

This guy here. Spent about 30 minutes gingerly trying to unplug and no luck. I decided though it’s time to get the plug in, don’t want to tear up the new rig already without the knowledge I need to do it right. Thanks again to everyone for your input though I really appreciate it.
                              Brian and Jonni

Comment

Working...
                              X