Greystone fire place quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greystone fire place quit

This morning our Greystone fireplace shut down, no heat or fan. The back light stays on , but the flame roll doesn’t turn either. We tried to turn the fireplace off and the light would just flicker and stay on. It was necessary to turn off the breaker to shut it down. After it cooled down we turned the breaker on and had the same result. We had the same fireplace in our 2014 Reflection 303 and it lasted 5 + years. We are 7 months out of warranty now so no help there. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Greystone? Hope it may be a relay or something like that.
    Steve and Connie Mitchell
    Box Elder, South Dakota
    2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW Cummins Diesel
    2020 Solitude S Class 2930 RL

Flat top

Hi Steve & Connie,

With your description of partial problems with both heater and flame roll, I would (unfortunately) suspect the control board. A while back, I put together the attached to help owners with the process to inspect their Greystone fireplace for reported electrical problems with the connections to the heating element. Attached information does not directly address the problems you are seeing, but might help you with where to look. These pictures are from our 2015 Reflection (same as your 2014) . . . but, there are a lot of different Greystone fireplaces, so I don't know how applicable this will be to your 2020 Solitude. I expect that pulling the fireplace and opening up the back to see what is going on, will be basically the same.

Rob

Fireplace.pdf Greystone Fireplace.pdf
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for the info Rob. I have been doing a little more research and I believe you are right about the control board. I am getting ready to remove the unit to inspect. I will update with findings.
      Box Elder, South Dakota

Comment

I know Cate&Rob 's caution about using a circuit breaker as an "on/off switch", but since the fireplace is so infrequently used I leave the breaker off in the Power Distribution Panel. The theory (I don't have any proof) is the power cycles experienced by the fireplace shorten it's life. (There's a "BEEP" from the unit when power is applied to the camper if the breaker is on so something is being powered.)

There's no way to know for certain if this will do any good, but I do it anyway hoping the thing will last a few years.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          I know Cate&Rob 's caution about using a circuit breaker as an "on/off switch", but since the fireplace is so infrequently used I leave the breaker off in the Power Distribution Panel. The theory (I don't have any proof) is the power cycles experienced by the fireplace shorten it's life. (There's a "BEEP" from the unit when power is applied to the camper if the breaker is on so something is being powered.)

There's no way to know for certain if this will do any good, but I do it anyway hoping the thing will last a few years.
          Nothing wrong with turning off the circuit breaker for something that you are not using regularly (you "southern guys" ). If someone is using the fireplace nearly every evening . . . I would not bother turning off the breaker. There are verified reports of power surges taking out electronic control boards on fireplaces, water heater, furnaces, fridges, etc. If I did not have an EMS (surge protector) at the post to confirm that electricity is "OK" before connecting to the trailer, I might leave the main breaker in the RV off until an onboard EMS confirms that shore power is good. (unless this happens automatically with the onboard EMS?)

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Well I spoke to Jasmine at wayinterglobal the Greystone manufacturer and she says it sounds like a circuit board failure. They need the part number, proof of purchase and will send out a replacement part. Hope this fixes the problem. Will update when completed.
            Box Elder, South Dakota

Comment

UPDATE: Greystone sent me a new circuit board at my expense Ann we are up and running. I would say $35.00 is better than $200.00 replacement unit
              Box Elder, South Dakota

Comment

We have a 2019 2930RL and the fireplace remote control quits activating the fireplace intermittently. In order to remedy this I have to pull the fireplace unit off the wall and pull the plug for a few seconds, replug it it in, the controller beeps and the remote functions for a time period that varies. Other than that, the fireplace works fine. I am thinking of installing a remote DPST switch to deactivate and activate AC power when this occurs.
                Last edited by howson; 05-13-2021, 06:09 AM. Reason: Put signature in sig block.
                Mike and Carol Paradis
                Ann Arbor, MI
                2019 Ford F350 Lariat Extended Cab, 4WD, Power Stroke Diesel
                2019 Solitude S Class 2930 RL

Comment

Originally posted by MAPCAP2930 View Post
                  We have a 2019 2930RL and the fireplace remote control quits activating the fireplace intermittently. In order to remedy this I have to pull the fireplace unit off the wall and pull the plug for a few seconds, replug it it in, the controller beeps and the remote functions for a time period that varies. Other than that, the fireplace works fine. I am thinking of installing a remote DPST switch to deactivate and activate AC power when this occurs.
                  Why not just cycle the circuit breaker in the Power Distribution Center? While not the best practice (cycling a breaker), it beats removing the fireplace each time. Wiring in a remote switch would work, too, obviously.

I took the liberty of moving your signature information in the signature block. (Good try!) For more info on how to get around this small corner of the internet, check out the Welcome Letter to New Members at https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
                  X