Shore power not charging battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shore power not charging battery

I have been hooked up to Shore power for over a week at an RV park but I am not getting charge to my battery. The strange thing is that when I disconnect the battery at the docking station (with shore power connected) I have no lights or electricity in part of my RV but do have electricity to the microwave and television. The only way I can get lights is when I reconnect the battery switch. The battery is now at 50% and dying. Can someone please provide some info on where I may be able to fix this?

Is the converter breaker on?
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by Acalsa View Post
      I have been hooked up to Shore power for over a week at an RV park but I am not getting charge to my battery. The strange thing is that when I disconnect the battery at the docking station (with shore power connected) I have no lights or electricity in part of my RV but do have electricity to the microwave and television. The only way I can get lights is when I reconnect the battery switch. The battery is now at 50% and dying. Can someone please provide some info on where I may be able to fix this?
      The microwave and television run off of shore power only, so they are unaffected by the battery disconnect.

As far as charging your battery, make sure your converter breaker is on. If it is, then you’ll want to check the fuses on the back of your converter. Of you let us know what model and year your trailer is we can help you find those fuses.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Acalsa
        Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you get a chance, please have a read through our welcome information. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

The battery is charged from shore power by the "converter". It sounds like your converter is not working. if you provide more details on the model of RV that you have, we can help you to locate this device and to determine if it is the problem and possible remedies.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Also check and make sure the battery disconnect is in the on position, red T-handle can't be removed.
          John
          2018 Momentum 395M
          2018 Ram 3500 Dually
          Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Acalsa Not knowing which model you have, there are several things to check. 1st is the incoming power 30 amp or 50 amp. If it's 50 amp, verify that both legs of the power are energized. If the wrong one is not energized, 1/2 of the power center is not receiving power and will cause you to have issues. If 50 amp and running on a 30 amp adapter, check the adapter to see that it is joining the 50 amp feeds properly.

Turn off all the breakers including the main. Turn the main back on, wait 15-30 seconds, then turn on the next breaker wait 15-30 seconds, then next breaker until all breakers are on. This procedure is for 30 amp or 50 amp incoming service. After each successive breaker turn on, check various areas of the camper for power, I also "rub" not to turn off, but see if the dual pole (50 amp) breaker is partially tripped. I have had breakers trip, but not throw the handle on me. With the dual pole breaker it should trip both sides, but not always. you can tell if its partially tripped b/c the handles will not align.

After you have done this, check the fuses in the converter. If you have a separate power converter not the combined WFCO unit, you may have to pull an access panel to find it. Verify that the fuse(s) are good in the converter as this is how it powers the unit. Also verify incoming power to the 12v system.

Please report back your findings even if you do not find and fix the issues as it will help members with troubleshooting your issue.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

"The only way I can get lights is when I reconnect the battery switch."
              I am confused by this statement... Your battery connect switch needs to be on for any of the 12 volt stuff to work.. In general I leave mine on all the time. I do have shore power at home so that helps.. Like others have said you need to check that your switch is on and the converter is charging. A multi-Meter should show what the battery voltage is
              Sean & Kasey Hosmer
              2021 376THS
              2020 GMC 3500HD Denali Dually

Comment

Acalsa Welcome to the family and the forum!

Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
                Nash County, NC
                2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Hello all. You all were right. The converter was bad and I was fortunate to have Grand Design send the GD emergency response team to fix this. A Big Thumbs up to Grand Design! Thank you all for your input I n this forum!! Appreciated!!

Comment

Working...
                  X