Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Batteries and Solar and Generators, Oh My!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries and Solar and Generators, Oh My!

We are planning on going to Quartzsite in Jan. and have NO knowledge of solar, generators, etc. Thanks to TucsonJim 's presentation on solar at the National Rally, we have a few ideas on what we can do as beginners to boondock for several days without power.

Our plans are to get a 100 watt portable solar panel, a Honda Inverter EU2200 generator, and switch to a 100 amp hour LiFePo4 battery. We ordered a BattleBorn battery, but I've recently read something that said the stock converter in the coach (we have a 2018 Reflection 337) will not properly charge the lithium battery. If this is true, what do we need to buy to charge this battery?

Also, could we run down to Quartzsite with our current battery, and then when we get there, switch out to the BattleBorn to recharge off the solar? If I understand correctly, we don't need any kind of 'interface' to charge it from solar? But what about if we're charging it from the generator?

Thank you from this electrically challenged RVer

Andi
    Andi
    Brookings SD
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax

Andi - Your stock converter will do a fine job of charging that Battle Born battery. It will just take a tad longer than if you had a dedicated lithium converter/charger.

In fact, if you go to the FAQ page for Battle Born Batteries, there is a question and answer regarding this topic.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/buy-...po4-batteries/

Regarding solar charging. You can have your converter hooked up for both shore power and the generator. And the solar will charge the batteries when needed. In fact, you can have the converter and the solar hooked up to the battery at the same time, and it won't hurt anything. Just make sure your solar panels run to a PWM or MPPT controller, and that your batteries are connected to the other side of that PWM or MPPT device.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 10-10-2019, 08:35 PM.
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post
      We are planning on going to Quartzsite in Jan. and have NO knowledge of solar, generators, etc. Thanks to TucsonJim 's presentation on solar at the National Rally, we have a few ideas on what we can do as beginners to boondock for several days without power.

Our plans are to get a 100 watt portable solar panel, a Honda Inverter EU2200 generator, and switch to a 100 amp hour LiFePo4 battery. We ordered a BattleBorn battery, but I've recently read something that said the stock converter in the coach (we have a 2018 Reflection 337) will not properly charge the lithium battery. If this is true, what do we need to buy to charge this battery?

Also, could we run down to Quartzsite with our current battery, and then when we get there, switch out to the BattleBorn to recharge off the solar? If I understand correctly, we don't need any kind of 'interface' to charge it from solar? But what about if we're charging it from the generator?

Thank you from this electrically challenged RVer

Andi
      Andi--instead of specifying the solution ("generator", "Battle Born", "solar panel", etc) what are the capabilities you expect from your setup? In other words, what electrical components do you want to run in your trailer and for how long? (I'm sure you realize that the 120vAC components, like the microwave, with only work with the generator running--right?)

Let me try a different example. Suppose a person asked if they should buy a truck. A "truck" can be anything from a Ford Ranger (small, light duty) to a Freightliner (super heavy-duty with over 1,600 ft/lbs of torque)! Either can be the right--it depends on what the "truck" will be expected to do. What do you want your setup to do?

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        Andi - Your stock converter will do a fine job of charging that Battle Born battery. It will just take a tad longer than if you had a dedicated lithium converter/charger.

In fact, if you go to the FAQ page for Battle Born Batteries, there is a question and answer regarding this topic.

https://battlebornbatteries.com/buy-...po4-batteries/

Regarding solar charging. You can have your converter hooked up for both shore power and the generator. And the solar will charge the batteries when needed. In fact, you can have the converter and the solar hooked up to the battery at the same time, and it won't hurt anything. Just make sure your solar panels run to a PWM or MPPT controller, and that your batteries are connected to the other side of that PWM or MPPT device.

Jim
        Thanks TucsonJim . Somehow I missed that link on the BB page. There was a discussion on a FB group last week and folks there were saying the stock converter would not work, which is why I had the question.
        Andi
        Brookings SD
        2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Andi--instead of specifying the solution ("generator", "Battle Born", "solar panel", etc) what are the capabilities you expect from your setup? In other words, what electrical components do you want to run in your trailer and for how long? (I'm sure you realize that the 120vAC components, like the microwave, with only work with the generator running--right?)

Let me try a different example. Suppose a person asked if they should buy a truck. A "truck" can be anything from a Ford Ranger (small, light duty) to a Freightliner (super heavy-duty with over 1,600 ft/lbs of torque)! Either can be the right--it depends on what the "truck" will be expected to do. What do you want your setup to do?

-Howard
          We're actually looking to keep it fairly simple, as we've boondocked in the past with our other rig and are used to 'roughing it'. Just need to be able to run lights, furnace, water pump, and charge up cell phones. Charging laptops would be a plus. Don't care about micro, TV, A/C - at least not for this trip. Will the components I mentioned in my original post be sufficient, or do I need to look at something else?
          Andi
          Brookings SD
          2018 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by Andi View Post

We're actually looking to keep it fairly simple, as we've boondocked in the past with our other rig and are used to 'roughing it'. Just need to be able to run lights, furnace, water pump, and charge up cell phones. Charging laptops would be a plus. Don't care about micro, TV, A/C - at least not for this trip. Will the components I mentioned in my original post be sufficient, or do I need to look at something else?
            Getting a Battle Born battery is not the most inexpensive path for the limited utility you have in mind, but as an owner myself I think it is a fantastic battery (I have 4)

The only item I'd recommend adding to your list is a Victron BMV-712 battery monitor with the temperature monitor cable. Cate&Rob was the first to recommend (to me) to get a BMV. Unfortunately I didn't understand the value of the device and waited until I put in my whole system. That was a mistake--having the monitor gives you an invaluable insight into your usage patterns and also allows you to KNOW when the battery requires recharging vs guessing. I now look at my battery state of charge (SOC) every time I tow my camper to see how much was consumed (I run an inverter to power my refrigerator) during the day.

This video is a decent introduction to the BMV :

TucsonJim is also a fan of the device and can provide more detailed information (hopefully he saved a copy of a write-up from a different forum).

(Note--I have no affiliation with AMSolar outside of being a customer.)
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

• Andi
              Andi commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the recommendation, Howard. Not sure I understand too much of that either <grin> ​​​​​​but will look into it. My previous understanding of electricity is what an "Off" and "On" switch does for a light or appliance!
          Working...
          X