Tank monitoring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bellis

Those tank sensors were the ones I was looking at, too, but cannot remember how I got to the website. Were there any other options you considered? If so, what drove you to the sensor you've chosen? I scanned the thread but don't see a link to the actual sensor, can you provide it, please?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      bellis

Those tank sensors were the ones I was looking at, too, but cannot remember how I got to the website. Were there any other options you considered? If so, what drove you to the sensor you've chosen? I scanned the thread but don't see a link to the actual sensor, can you provide it, please?
      Sure thing. So, the main thing that drove me after reviewing the various options from multiple websites (including SeeLevel) is Three-fold. 1 - A big preference for ultrasonic as opposed to pressure or in the tank sensors. Some of the pressure and/or in tank sensors maybe be 1-2% more accurate. But, even if you told me 5% more accurate....that is not that significant. With default sensors we are looking at at best somewhere between 32-33% accuracy? So, summary of #1 - strong preference for ultrasonic/bottom of tank/easy install. #2 Discussion with Bruce @ Safiery - I asked if he had any ultrasonic resistive sensors so I could just use the Cerbo. Answer = no. They do have resitive sensors; but they would be eliminated for me by #1. #3 - I did not want another system, even if it is cheaper. IE I want one pane of glass. VRM/Victron provides that. I don't want bluetooth only or another app on my phone or another monitor and more wires to run through the rig.

Stainless Steel Temperature Monitor:
      https://www.safiery.com/stainless-temperature-sensor

GX Tank 140
      https://www.safiery.com/victron-gx-tank-140
      Significantly Cheaper here: https://www.invertersupply.com/index...ucts_id=200262

Ultrasonic Tank Level Sensor Bottom Mount
      https://www.safiery.com/ultrasonic-t...no-penetration

LPG Magnetic Ultrasonic Sensor (2 options - hoping the cheaper works)
      https://www.safiery.com/lpg-tank-lev...ensor-magnetic

I spoke to the DW today....and I think this is now her top desired upgrade. There are some smaller things we are looking at, but this looks like it will happen if I can get the quote. I sent the diagram in my last email to Bruce @ Safiery - so hopefully I don't have any gotchas. Will repost if it needs revised.
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Safiery's site can be a little bit of a challenge to navigate or realize it is a different page. A summary of sensor accuracy, price and comments maybe helpful to all. Accuracy for various sensors is posted here;

https://www.safiery.com/tank-level

Posted below to save a click:
        Sensor Price Accuracy IP Rate Comment
        RV Arm $60 Poor 15-20% IP68 Poor for Grey/black water
        Compact External Pressure $76 V High 2% IP65
        IP67 Water or Fuel
        External Pressure
        $187 V High 2% IP67 OK for creek crossings
        Ultrasonic Under Tank $99 High 2-4% IP68 Fits under tank
        OK for creek crossings
        Wema Top Mounted $85 Mod 5-10% IP67 Fits on top of tank
        Submersible 27mm $280 V High 2% IP68 Feed through Breather
        Submersible 22mm $280 V High 2% IP68 Feed through Breather
        Submersible 16mm $280 V High 2% IP68 Feed through Breather
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Still trying to get a quote from Bruce @ Safiery. He replies to emails most of the time....but I just can't get the quote.
          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I was able to order 4 ultrasonic tank sensors last night from Bruce, and they should be shipping soon. I also ordered, and received, the Tank 140 from Inverters R Us. Once I have all the parts in place, I will begin the install on my Solitude 310 holding tanks. I am hoping I find all my install questions somewhere online as I might be the guinea pig on this install. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mark
            2021 GD Solitude 310GK (New on 12/2/20)
            2020 Ram 3500 Limited Crew Cab 8' Bed Diesel with B&W Companion
            Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart
            Victron SmartSolar Charger MPPT 150/70, 700W Renogy 175w Flexible Solar Panels.

Comment

Originally posted by applewpb View Post
              I was able to order 4 ultrasonic tank sensors last night from Bruce, and they should be shipping soon. I also ordered, and received, the Tank 140 from Inverters R Us. Once I have all the parts in place, I will begin the install on my Solitude 310 holding tanks. I am hoping I find all my install questions somewhere online as I might be the guinea pig on this install. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Mark
              Mark - that is fantastic. I have continued to email....I would have already ordered...but he said he would quote. Did Bruce work a quote up for you? Will anxiously watch your progress....hopefully mine will start soon.
              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Mark
                Looking forward to your posts on the install, Mark.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

So, I received the tank sensors from Safiery, and purchased the Tank 140 from Inverters R Us. Bruce has been pretty good in answering my questions, but I cannot seem to get any answers on powering the Tank Sensors from the tank 140. I want to know if I can connect the battery 12v to the 12v external power connector, but can't seem to get a definite answer from anyone. My other question concerned the different voltages to ports 1-2 (12V from ext Power connector), and port 3-4 getting 24v from the built-in power supply of the tank 140. My question there was, if connecting 12v power to the external port does it supply a 12v source to all four ports on the tank 140? If anyone has any ideas, I am open.

mark
                  Victron Multiplus 3000, 5500w Onan Generator, DC_DC charger, Amsolar SPS 420ah Lion Energy Lithium, Victron BMV-712 Smart

Comment

So, I received the tank sensors from Safiery, and purchased the Tank 140 from Inverters R Us. Bruce has been pretty good in answering my questions, but I cannot seem to get any answers on powering the Tank Sensors from the tank 140. I want to know if I can connect the battery 12v to the 12v external power connector, but can't seem to get a definite answer from anyone. My other question concerned the different voltages to ports 1-2 (12V from ext Power connector), and port 3-4 getting 24v from the built-in power supply of the tank 140. My question there was, if connecting 12v power to the external port does it supply a 12v source to all four ports on the tank 140? If anyone has any ideas, I am open.

mark
                    I finally got a quote! It needs updated (missing a couple items), the GX TAnk 140 is more than inverter supply, and shipping is $120 - but I emailed back with inquiries and hopefully they will work with me on all that quickly.

Mark: Check out page 2. I have a diagram and howson and I go through that...there may be a few posts that help there.

Originally posted by bellis
                    It appears to this reader that channels 3 & 4 are powered by an internal power supply through the USB. The USB (I assume) connects to the "brains" (Cerbo or Color Control). I also assume communication between the Tank 140 and the "brains" is through the USB, too.

It's channels 1 and 2 that require an external 24v power source for sensor excitation.
                    I don't have one yet....but here is the manual online: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...ank_140-en.pdf

I think my power info is confirmed on the bottom of page 3 of the manual.
                    2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

This is what I received from Bruce about the sensor install:
                      according to him, the ultrasonic sensors require a 12v power source, the only way to get this on the tank 140 is thru the ext power connector and a 12v power source. I think I answered my own question, and will connect the 4 sensors power wires to v-out on ports 1 and 2, and the inputs to v in on 1-4 on the tank 140. I really want to get the 12v from my RV power, do not see why that cannot be done.
                      I will keep you posted as I am getting ready to install the sensor on the fresh water tank first. BTW, you will need to supply the epoxy and KY jelly for the sensors.
                      Mark

Comment

This is what I received from Bruce about the sensor install:
                        according to him, the ultrasonic sensors require a 12v power source, the only way to get this on the tank 140 is thru the ext power connector and a 12v power source. I think I answered my own question, and will connect the 4 sensors power wires to v-out on ports 1 and 2, and the inputs to v in on 1-4 on the tank 140. I really want to get the 12v from my RV power, do not see why that cannot be done.
                        I will keep you posted as I am getting ready to install the sensor on the fresh water tank first. BTW, you will need to supply the epoxy and KY jelly for the sensors.
                        Mark
                        Gah - what? It doesn't even come with the epoxy to attach? /sigh

Can you spin up a diagram of how you are wiring it up? I think that the 12v power comes from the USB source for 2 of the sensors. I know what you may be thinking...USB is 5 volts....this is true....but I think the GX Tank 140 steps up the voltage for 2 of the sensors....(they use very little amperage at 12V). The other 2 sensors require a 24V power supply that is connected to the GX Tank 140. That's why I sent the Amazon link.

Keep us posted....and if possible work up a diagram and detailed post to how you wired....I know I and howson would both appreciate it.
                        2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Yes, by law they cannot ship epoxy! And as far as the tank 140 power supply, this is directly from the Victron website:

"Channel 3 and 4 use an integrated 24V power source for sensor excitation, which is powered via the USB interface. The other two channels do require an external power supply, and there is a power in terminal together with fused outputs to facilitate that."

So, ports 3-4 are self powered at 24v from the USB connector and ports 1-2 require an external 12v power supply. I plan on using the 12v system on my solitude for that power, and connecting the 4 + voltage wires from the sensors to ports 1-2.
                          The sensors I received have a 4 wire cable attached, approximately 6' long, and appears to be similar to LV a/c thermostat wire. I would splice that on if I needed extra length.
                          I took this information from the Safiery install Booklet for the sensors:

Electronic Wire Connections:
                          Red VCC
                          Black GND
                          White NC
                          Yellow Signal Output +

Last thing, according to the Safiery Booklet, the GX Tank 140 measures the voltage between “Yellow Signal Output” (+) and “GND” (-). And, as far as the KY Jelly is concerned, it is used as an interface to verify the sensor will work where I plan to permanently mount it under the tanks. I will draw something up and post it soon.

Mark

Comment

Yes, by law they cannot ship epoxy! And as far as the tank 140 power supply, this is directly from the Victron website:

"Channel 3 and 4 use an integrated 24V power source for sensor excitation, which is powered via the USB interface. The other two channels do require an external power supply, and there is a power in terminal together with fused outputs to facilitate that."

So, ports 3-4 are self powered at 24v from the USB connector and ports 1-2 require an external 12v power supply. I plan on using the 12v system on my solitude for that power, and connecting the 4 + voltage wires from the sensors to ports 1-2.
                            The sensors I received have a 4 wire cable attached, approximately 6' long, and appears to be similar to LV a/c thermostat wire. I would splice that on if I needed extra length.
                            I took this information from the Safiery install Booklet for the sensors:

Electronic Wire Connections:
                            Red VCC
                            Black GND
                            White NC
                            Yellow Signal Output +

Last thing, according to the Safiery Booklet, the GX Tank 140 measures the voltage between “Yellow Signal Output” (+) and “GND” (-). And, as far as the KY Jelly is concerned, it is used as an interface to verify the sensor will work where I plan to permanently mount it under the tanks. I will draw something up and post it soon.

Mark
                            I anxiously await your diagram! I assume by the above you will be wiring your 12V rig into the "Ext. Power" of the GX Tank 140? Not to sensors directly right? It has a built in fuse....are you going to fuse the 12V connection from your rig before you get to the tank 140?

Let me know what product and where you bought the gel for testing and epoxy as well.
                            2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Here is what I came up with, I am fairly confident it will work. I am going to follow my plan, and will update you once I have done some testing on the fresh water tank. Once I feel I am on the right path, I will move on to the black tank and grey tanks. More that likely I will put some type of fuse/switch/breaker between the battery and the external power in port.
                              Be nice when you see my drawing!!

mark

Attached Files

Comment

applewpb

All four sensors being connected are the same, right?

The sensors connected to Channels 3 and 4 will get 24vDC from the GX's internal power supply (via the USB). As I understand it the current requirement to the sensors is very low.

I'm missing something...so forgive me in advance if this is a dumb question...but why is 12vDC being provided to the sensors connected to Channel 1 and 2 instead of 24vDC?

Howard

P.S. For readers of this thread, below is the drawing and also a pic of the GX Tank from the manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drawing.JPG
Views:	1823
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	58627

Click image for larger version

Name:	GX Tank 140.JPG
Views:	1442
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	58626

Comment

Working...
                                X