Voltage measuring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage measuring

Anyone ever consider using something like these to monitor the voltages on the incoming lines of the shore line power.

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Display...6&s=hi&sr=1-16

with 3 you could do L1, L2 and L1+L2.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
    Anyone ever consider using something like these to monitor the voltages on the incoming lines of the shore line power.

https://www.amazon.com/Yeeco-Display...6&s=hi&sr=1-16

with 3 you could do L1, L2 and L1+L2.
    I would think the problem with that would be that in order to see the voltage you’d have to be plugged in and the damage could be done. Better to either check it with a meter before plugging in, or have the EMS monitor it and disconnect you automatically (in which case those would read nothing if installed after the EMS since you’d be disconnected).

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro If you put those pre main, you could get the measurements before sending power through the system.
      Joseph
      Tow
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

ncitro If you put those pre main, you could get the measurements before sending power through the system.
        True, but then you’d need to tap into the 6awg mains rather thanjust average you can get 12v.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

ncitro Neil, this is shore power not 12V if I am understanding your comment. It would not be that hard to add an 18 AWG to the back side of the shore connector to those displays to pull the incoming voltages across the load lines. With 3 the 3rd could be used to verify if the post is 120V only or 240V split phase. If 120V, then neutral may be undersized for 60 amps (20 per leg).
          Joseph
          Tow
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

ncitro Neil, this is shore power not 12V if I am understanding your comment. It would not be that hard to add an 18 AWG to the back side of the shore connector to those displays to pull the incoming voltages across the load lines. With 3 the 3rd could be used to verify if the post is 120V only or 240V split phase. If 120V, then neutral may be undersized for 60 amps (20 per leg).
            You’re right, sorry I meant 120 not 12. You’re right, that would work (fused properly), but again you’d need to plug in to use the meters to see what’s at the post. Once you plug in the damage will be done off the neutral is missing. Much better to either check it at the post before plugging in, or have some kind of EMS with a delay that will check the post before allowing power to flow.

Neil Citro

Comment

Neil, if the mains are off in the camper, lack of a neutral will not allow the L1 and L2 meters to power up and show voltage only L3 would show voltage indicating neutral missing. This would be a first indication of an issue. If L1 was dead the L2 meter would be only one showing power, and if the L2 was dead, L1 would be the only one showing power. If L1 and L2 are lit and showing power but not the L3 meter (L1+L2) then it would indicate that L1 and L2 are on the same hot feed.

Since most units do not require 240v the common feed for L1 and L2 would not be and issue if the neutral were sized appropriately in the coach and the pole.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I can monitor line current and voltages with my Hughes watchdog +EPO. Its Bluetooth capability lets me monitor on my phone, plus it's a surge protector.
                2021 Imagine 2400 BH
                2019 F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/ Max Tow

Comment

Neil, if the mains are off in the camper, lack of a neutral will not allow the L1 and L2 meters to power up and show voltage only L3 would show voltage indicating neutral missing. This would be a first indication of an issue. If L1 was dead the L2 meter would be only one showing power, and if the L2 was dead, L1 would be the only one showing power. If L1 and L2 are lit and showing power but not the L3 meter (L1+L2) then it would indicate that L1 and L2 are on the same hot feed.

Since most units do not require 240v the common feed for L1 and L2 would not be and issue if the neutral were sized appropriately in the coach and the pole.
                  I suppose this would work, but in my rig I can’t access the breakers unless my slide is out, so if I wanted to assess a site I’d need to back in, put out my slide, turn off my breakers, plug in, and check the meters. If it’s no good I’d probably need to change site’s and repeat. Much easier to check with a multimeter before even backing in. If I’m going to back in before I check I might as well let my EMS do its thing and check the voltage and neutral situation for me, as well as continue to protect me while I’m there from brown out’s and other power issues.

I guess I’m just not sure what issue you’re trying to solve.

Neil Citro

Comment

So I have them installed and when on 30 amp service. Here is what it looks like on 30 amp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Voltage-Gauges.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	86821
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Hey Joseph,

See this recent thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...rge-issues-12v

A good reminder for me to get those three voltmeters installed (that I purchased on your advice ). I also use a surge protector at the post but have nothing to tell me that I have good connections between there and the main panel in the RV, before I turn on the main breakers in the RV. These meters will tell me if the all important neutral is missing. Good idea !!

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob I was a bit glad to be able to test the system on 30A (probably could have done it with a std 15A chord in the drive) and see that I got exactly what I expected on the gauges. Their accuracy is a bit on the questionable side, but it's better than nothing.

I hope the OP in the thread you linked found his issues. I suspect that the converter may just be bad. IIRC, there have been several converter issues lately. Seems like a bad batch. I do know that the twist lock at the camper can be temperamental, hence the reason I added the voltage gauges.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Finally got my "Joseph inspired" voltage monitoring meters installed. Thanks Jlawles2 !

I still have the surge protector and voltage monitoring at the post, but this gives me an inside-the-trailer check point and will allow me to see if the dreaded "lost neutral" has occurred.

The wall in my trailer is thicker than the depth accommodated by the gauges . . . so, I couldn't just drill 3 holes . . . that would have been too easy . So, I had to make up a panel.
                          Feed comes off the main supply with 2A fuses on each line. I figured that 18 ga would not take 50A if something shorted .
                          Since I am not sure of the durability of these relatively inexpensive gauges I included a double pole switch (difficult to see in the picture to the right of monitors) so they are not on all the time.

I would like to say that all the port side circuits are on the red gauge and all the starboard side are on the green gauge . . . but, RV wiring is just not that organized LOL!

Rob

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.jpeg
Views:	267
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	89394
                          Cate & Rob
                          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, those gauges will also let you know if you have the dreaded single pole 50A. Noted that recently when on a 30A single pole plug (cool temps so no issue with needing the AC's).
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                            X