Multiplus install - dc configuration and rpi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiplus install - dc configuration and rpi

I have a couple of questions about an install of a Multiplus II 120 x 2 on my 286bh fifth wheel.

Factory configuration

- 50 amp AC input wired to AC half of distribution panel.

- Converter plugged into the AC distribution panel, with DC being fed out to the DC side of the distribution panel.

-DC coming out of the panel, fed to the cut-off switch in the front bay and then to the DC bus bar where jacks, breaks, detectors, etc. are connected.

-Battery cables connect to this DC bus bar.

Proposed configuration

-Wire 50 amp AC input to feed Multiplus II 120 x 2. Multiplus Line 1 out to AC distribution panel.

-Disconnect converter from AC and DC sides of distribution panel.

-Battery bank negative leg through smart shunt and ground to Lynx distributor. Fuse and on/off switch to positive leg of distributor.

-Lynx distributor connects to Multiplus, MPPT, and factory DC bus bar where battery cables were originally connected.

I’ve followed other installs and have seen discussions of the DC bus bar configuration. Can I replace the original battery cable connections to the bus bar with a connection to the Lynx distributor, or should I be concerned with some additional configuration here?

I’m considering the raspberry pi for monitoring. Do I need to purchase a ve.can version of MPPT or are all of them compatible?

Thanks,
    Joe

Click image for larger version

Name:	dc.jpeg
Views:	716
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	53242
    Last edited by bsktcas1; 05-08-2021, 02:13 PM.

Originally posted by bsktcas1 View Post
    I have a couple of questions about an install of a Multiplus II 120 x 2 on my 286bh fifth wheel.

Proposed configuration

-Wire 50 amp AC input to feed Multiplus II 120 x 2. Multiplus Line 1 out to AC distribution panel.

-Disconnect converter from AC and DC sides of distribution panel.

-Battery bank negative leg through smart shunt and ground to Lynx distributor. Fuse and on/off switch to positive leg of distributor.

-Lynx distributor connects to Multiplus, MPPT, and factory DC bus bar where battery cables were originally connected.

At some point, could you post a *diagram* of you proposed configuration. And -- sorry -- what is a Lynx distributor and its purpose?

Thanks.

-Steve
    2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
    Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
    2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
    18k B&W Companion, non-slider
    640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
    Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
    Somerset, WI

Comment

The Lynx distributor is a higher capacity bus bar system from Victron. Before I did the math, I thought the standard set of bus bars, rated at 250 amps would not be enough, since it was recommended to fuse the wire at 400 amps.
      I have a hand drawn diagram that I'll post once I make it a little more legible.
      Thanks

Comment

I’ve followed other installs and have seen discussions of the DC bus bar configuration. Can I replace the original battery cable connections to the bus bar with a connection to the Lynx distributor, or should I be concerned with some additional configuration here?
        I recommend you do not change the OEM bus bar wiring configuration.

To power the trailer's OEM DC circuits, substitute (replace) the red wire that went from the factory battery location with a wire from the output of the Distributor. You'll have to replace the original negative battery cable, too, obviously with one that returns to the battery bank.

Hook up the wires from the distributor in the exact same location from where you remove the original wires and everything will work like it did originally. Think of the Distributor as a "new battery" and hopefully you'll understand.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Think of the Distributor as a "new battery" and hopefully you'll understand.
          Yes, makes complete sense. This was my original thinking, but was looking for a sanity check before jumping in.
          Thanks again

Comment

Thanks, Joe
            Good morning Joe

While my system is only 30A I am removing the shore power from the distribution panel main and running it to the MultiPlus L! and taking L2 (power out) back to the distribution panel main. I am not using the L3 out that the MultiPlus has. I am disconnecting the factory converter and leaving it in place. In a worst case if the MultiPlus fails it will be just a short task to restore factory wiring.

I am also leaving the factory buss bar and disconnect switch as is, including the stock disconnect switch. No need to change what is working. The 6awg is good for the run to the disconnect switch and run to the distribution panel that the factory put in (right at the limit though). Besides to change it out would requiring dropping the coroplast (belly fabric). I am adding a true second disconnect switch though.

BTW I am not an expert in any way. Just passing on the advice given to me over the year of planning this install and from the vast wealth of information that can be found here.

Hope this helps.
            Keith

On edit.
            Got looking at your picture.
            In my trailer the far left 6awg red wire is from the battery. The red wire below tied to the first circuit breaker runs down and across and up to my factory disconnect switch. There is a 6 awg black wire from the disconnect switch that follows the same route back and ties in to the buss bar on the far right (isolated from main power feed), The second black 6awg wire there runs down and forward to the distribution panel. Last the white wire with red stripe on the right that joins the same connection, comes from my factory solar plug on the front of my 5th wheel. I don't understated the need for the second breaker as that wire is fused at the plug. I don't use the front plug so I am disconnecting that wire and rolling it up and storing it by the solar plug in a space I found there behind the framing right where the plug is.
            Last edited by howson; 05-09-2021, 11:09 AM. Reason: Shortened quote...
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I am disconnecting the factory converter and leaving it in place. In a worst case if the MultiPlus fails it will be just a short task to restore factory wiring.
              Thanks Keith!
              Your comments made me think I'll probably just disconnect the AC plug from the converter and leave the DC cabling hooked up. This way, I can just plug the AC in again and not have to re-connect the DC in case I have to go back to factory. I too have no electrical background, but I don't see how this could cause an issue.

I appreciate the interpretation of the bus bar. Every little bit helps getting a better understanding of the coach works!

Comment

Joe:

I will echo what some of the others have said.

I would disconnect the factory WFCO. One alteration: I would run AC to an EMS (surge protection) and then into the Multiplus. I would also leave the factory battery switch in place (I did) as a camper on and off. It will give you more control over what is on and off. Then install a master battery switch. You will just have to run from your lynx distribution bus to the back of the factory battery switch. I did not go with the lynx....I wish I had.

While my rig is only 30 amp like Yoda - I have posted a ton as I went through the project. You can find it here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...estions/page11 I hope that helps you. I have diagrams there; howson and others have posted diagrams...pics and more.

Feel free to mention me or quote me on your thread if I can answer any questions you have.
                2020 Imagine 2400BH
                2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Name:	image_8329.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	53798 We have Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8330.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	53799Click image for larger version

Name:	7B068865-74E2-4D2E-B458-32ECDF414E97.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	53802Click image for larger version

Name:	B1792EC9-CC1C-44FB-B2CF-6581E26F7B7F.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	53803
                  been monitoring our Victron system using a RPI running Venus OS. Pretty much plug and play - we use VE bus to USB cables for the solar charge controller and battery monitor. We use a MK3 to USB cable for the inverter. Works great and can remotely monitor using the Victron connect app. RPI connects to WiFi/internet.
                  Last edited by openrangeowners; 05-15-2021, 10:46 AM.
                  2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                  1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                  2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

openrangeowners -- I've got to get one of those Raspberry Pi's (the "RPI" being referenced) and play with this! Yes, I've got a CCGX but it would still be fun to see if I can get it to work, too.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by openrangeowners View Post

Name:	image_8329.jpg
Views:	512
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	53798 We have Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8330.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	53799Click image for larger version

Name:	7B068865-74E2-4D2E-B458-32ECDF414E97.jpeg
Views:	470
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	53802Click image for larger version

Name:	B1792EC9-CC1C-44FB-B2CF-6581E26F7B7F.jpeg
Views:	405
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	53803
                      been monitoring our Victron system using a RPI running Venus OS. Pretty much plug and play - we use VE bus to USB cables for the solar charge controller and battery monitor. We use a MK3 to USB cable for the inverter. Works great and can remotely monitor using the Victron connect app. RPI connects to WiFi/internet.
                      Can you link what your purchased for the RPI?

Which model 4B? 3B? How is it connected to your devices? Does it work with Cerbo and/or CCGX or does it tie up the connections that would go to the CCGX/Cerbo?

Are you using the touch display with a case that works with it?
                      https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-.../dp/B0153R2A9I

I have a spare 3B sitting around atm....and am building a 4B atm for a camper related project....

Would love to see some more details....flashing the Venus OS should be easy enough....just curious how well it works.
                      2020 Imagine 2400BH
                      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

I am currently using a Raspberry PI 3B+

I am running it headless (meaning I no longer am using the display shown in the photos) - running headless means I just log into the Victron Portal from a computer or my cell phone. I get the same display as shown above ...

https://github.com/victronenergy/ven...ll-venus-image

https://youtu.be/50V50lISnC8

https://youtu.be/UXskvldEmiw

Personally, I downloaded the image, used Etcher to burn it to a micro-sd card, inserted card in PI (with a monitor and keyboard connected in my house). Connected it to my WiFi, logged into my Victron account and entered the Portal information of the headless RPI I just set up.

I enabled SSH on the pi as shown in the videos (generated a certificate for the pi and used an SSH application on my iPhone).

For WiFi, the camper was able to use my home WiFi, so I connected the pi to my Winegard Gateway WiFi and connected that WiFi to my house (can use the Winegard app to change this to my Jetpack) - this allows the pi to always have the same WiFi connection (ie: my Winegard).

Worked perfectly boondocking this past weekend.

I installed a USB connection to power the pi.

As for Venus OS, just plug the USB connections in to it (from the MK3 - multiplus, the VE.bus - Victron BMS, and the other VE.bus - Victron Solar Charge Controller). Everything was found automatically and worked perfectly.

Last edited by openrangeowners; 05-18-2021, 02:45 PM.
                        2021 Solitude S-2930 RL
                        1200 watts solar, 3KW inverter, 400 A/Hr LiFePO4 batteries
                        2020 Ford F-350 CC LB Crew Cab SRW 6.7L 4x4 3.55

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post

Can you link what your purchased for the RPI?

Which model 4B? 3B? How is it connected to your devices? Does it work with Cerbo and/or CCGX or does it tie up the connections that would go to the CCGX/Cerbo?

Are you using the touch display with a case that works with it?
                          https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-.../dp/B0153R2A9I

I have a spare 3B sitting around atm....and am building a 4B atm for a camper related project....

Would love to see some more details....flashing the Venus OS should be easy enough....just curious how well it works.
                          Well to answer my own question....I don't see how this could work with the Cerbo or CCGX or Venus or Octo at the same time. It would require the inputs from each device via a USB conversion.
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X