Hard battery cut off switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard battery cut off switch

The GD battery cut off switch is a joke. Doesn't really cut the battery off. Just cuts 12v power to most of the trailer (but not everything). This means if you put the trailer in long term storage (2 weeks or more) you have to physically disconnect the battery otherwise the parasitic draws will ruin your battery (even with the battery cut off switch - off). To solve this problem I added a hard battery cut off switch. It disconnects the negative terminal of the battery. It's just like removing the battery cables but with just a turn of the switch.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    Andersen Hitch
    2021 Reflection 337rls

Originally posted by ckreef View Post
    The GD battery cut off switch is a joke. Doesn't really cut the battery off. Just cuts 12v power to most of the trailer (but not everything). This means if you put the trailer in long term storage (2 weeks or more) you have to physically disconnect the battery otherwise the parasitic draws will ruin your battery (even with the battery cut off switch - off). To solve this problem I added a hard battery cut off switch. It disconnects the negative terminal of the battery. It's just like removing the battery cables but with just a turn of the switch.
    Charles,
    You might consider a "Remove Before Flight" streamer attached to the Emergency Brake actuator on the exterior of the camper when this switch is off. This visual reminder should ensure there's not an accidental drive-away with no emergency brakes. That's one big "oops" to be avoided!

For the other items that are still powered with the OEM switch off, I'm speculating but I don't think GD has much choice (code?) than to power the carbon monoxide detector among other items at all times. That's why even in the owner's manual it states to disconnect the negative during long term storage.

Howard

Click image for larger version

Name:	RBF.JPG
Views:	646
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	53959
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I know I'm picking a fight here, but this is more for other people reading this in the future.

You need to verify how "your" camper is wired, since there is a large amount of variation between models, and even in-between model years of the same model.

My 2017 Imagine 2800BH battery cutoff actually works as you would imagine it. IE, when you twist the knob, everything but the emergency brakes, and the solar plug are killed.

How do I know?
      1. I traced the cables coming from the battery.
      2. I just stress tested this by hitting the cutoff last October, and just measured the battery today. 12.55 volts.
      Mike
      2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

mpking

Interesting, Mike. But it doesn't surprise me. I'd expect the carbon monoxide tester to stay powered.

But...consistency is not a word I associate across GD models. Even the same trailer can be different...though that's more rare, thankfully. Not a slam on GD, just a fact. Each model line does things a little differently. Look at how CompassConnect or solar is implemented!
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
          I know I'm picking a fight here, but this is more for other people reading this in the future.

You need to verify how "your" camper is wired, since there is a large amount of variation between models, and even in-between model years of the same model.

My 2017 Imagine 2800BH battery cutoff actually works as you would imagine it. IE, when you twist the knob, everything but the emergency brakes, and the solar plug are killed.

How do I know?
          1. I traced the cables coming from the battery.
          2. I just stress tested this by hitting the cutoff last October, and just measured the battery today. 12.55 volts.
          Correct - I too howson have shared several times over the years that our switch actually turns all things off even the radio settings on our 2014 as I recall. And yes, the front jacks are the only thing that work with the battery switch in the "Off" position with our 303. It seems Rob's Cate&Rob 2015 303 is the same if memory serves me correctly ? Other folks with early GDRVs have reported the same over the years.

We store ours indoors for about 7-8 months over the winter and when we turn on the battery switch in the late spring, we still have 3 of 4 lights on the battery monitor. The front jacks raise the RV almost like normal and our battery will be going on 8 years old. We will find out this year in a few weeks.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Canyonlight
            Hi Dan,

Just catching up to this discussion. Our 2015 303RLS was originally wired with several things bypassing the original battery switch. Propane detector, radio memory, landing gear, rear stabilizers and emergency brake apply. While I can understand that the companies delivering from the factory to the dealer would find this convenient, I never liked the idea that there was no way to prevent unauthorized operation of the landing gear and stabilizers or actuating the brakes by pulling the pin. Plus the slow drain on the battery from the parasitic loads.

Early on, I wired everything through a four way 1/2/both/off marine switch. (I have a dual battery selectable set up) I realize that this switch disables the trailer braking system, but since it also disables the landing gear, I can't hook the trailer to the truck without remembering to turn this switch on.

I would agree with the observations that everyone should confirm how their trailer is wired. There are many differences, as wired from the factory.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              Canyonlight
              Hi Dan,

Just catching up to this discussion. Our 2015 303RLS was originally wired with several things bypassing the original battery switch. Propane detector, radio memory, landing gear, rear stabilizers and emergency brake apply. While I can understand that the companies delivering from the factory to the dealer would find this convenient, I never liked the idea that there was no way to prevent unauthorized operation of the landing gear and stabilizers or actuating the brakes by pulling the pin. Plus the slow drain on the battery from the parasitic loads.

Early on, I wired everything through a four way 1/2/both/off marine switch. (I have a dual battery selectable set up) I realize that this switch disables the trailer braking system, but since it also disables the landing gear, I can't hook the trailer to the truck without remembering to turn this switch on.

I would agree with the observations that everyone should confirm how their trailer is wired. There are many differences, as wired from the factory.

Rob
              Rob,

I'm currently wired the same. This system does serve as a reminder as well as a security measure since my front jack is also disabled with the switch turned off. My brake switch also runs through the switch and I've written about the possibility of installing a stand alone break away kit and still have not decided if its really needed due to the forced condition of using the jack and refrigerator in preparation for travel.

I replaced the original switch with a 250 amp marine switch that looks identical to the original.

It really helps to have that marine background.

Jim

Comment

Our 2021 303 I thought had battery draw as twice after 2 weeks went to pick up the trailer to find out it did not have enough juice to lift the trailer to connect. While I was camping I decided to check the draw and I was way under 50ma. When I went back to the dealer they did a test to confirm they put another battery in. Ill find out in 2 weeks if that was the problem. They did tell me there is a jumper on a board you can move to different pins that eliminate other electrical components. Before all this when I shut off disconnect I could not find anything on except the auto level. I to was going to put a hard cutoff at the battery but I will wait to see if the new battery was the fix. I guess its possible to get a bum battery.
                2021 Reflection 303RLS
                2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
                Anderson ultimate hitch

Comment

Dennis66 My 303 is wired such that the landing gear, gas /CO detector, breakaway, along with slide controller and unity board is still connected to the battery when disconnect is activated. Basically if you trace out everything under the plastic bus bar cover there is only 1 lead that runs out to the disconnect. I think even the ref may be on the battery side of the disconnect.

While the disconnect does kill control power to the unity board, it does not kill the main power to the board.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

I have a possibly dumb question about all this battery cut off stuff......why is it that the CO detector would be wired to be on even if the battery disconnect switch was off? Does it shorten the life of the CO detector to be turned on and off all the time? Or is it to just have a CO detector powered in case somebody was sleeping in the trailer even with the battery disconnect switch pulled? I would think if the battery was disconnected that you couldn't run your furnace and make any CO anyway.

I am thinking about putting in a hard switch that kills everything and I want to make sure it won't shorten the life of a CO or propane detector or anything like that. I am not too concerned about forgetting to turn the switch back on before departure for emergency brake purposes...because I wouldn't be able to raise my tongue jack until the battery was connected again.

I am probably overlooking something really obvious here....but I just had to ask for my own peace of mind.

Thanks,
                    Bill M.
                    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    2021 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost

Comment

In my first TT, when using it for hunting, I took the battery out every weekend when leaving camp. This was to prevent battery theft more than anything else. Never developed a CO detector issue after 4 years.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillM321 View Post
                        I have a possibly dumb question about all this battery cut off stuff......why is it that the CO detector would be wired to be on even if the battery disconnect switch was off? Does it shorten the life of the CO detector to be turned on and off all the time? Or is it to just have a CO detector powered in case somebody was sleeping in the trailer even with the battery disconnect switch pulled? I would think if the battery was disconnected that you couldn't run your furnace and make any CO anyway.

I am thinking about putting in a hard switch that kills everything and I want to make sure it won't shorten the life of a CO or propane detector or anything like that. I am not too concerned about forgetting to turn the switch back on before departure for emergency brake purposes...because I wouldn't be able to raise my tongue jack until the battery was connected again.

I am probably overlooking something really obvious here....but I just had to ask for my own peace of mind.

Thanks,
                        Liability is most likely the reason. The CO and other safety devices have a finite life span and will alert you when they have expired, so its on the owner to replace them. You also raise a good point that with the switch off, no appliance can emit CO.
                        Currently, the battery manufacturers are liking the way these Rigs are wired where killing the battery the first time may not do permanent damage, but after a couple times, the battery life span will be shortened.

Most of us have installed a switch to completely shut off all power.

Jim

Comment

Like ckreef in the thread I want to install a negative hard cut off switch so there is no drain on the batteries during storage. I also will use a battery maintainer to keep them optimized. What brands of cutoff switch has anyone used? Charles's picture I can't make out the manufacturer, and I like how he mounted it to the back wall. I have a 2019 Solitude 310GK.
                          Last edited by JB9321; 01-08-2022, 10:29 PM.
                          Jim Butchko

Comment

Originally posted by JB9321 View Post
                            Like Charles in the thread I want to install a negative hard cut off switch so there is no drain on the batteries during storage. I also will use a battery maintainer to keep them optimized. What brands of cutoff switch has anyone used? Charles's picture I can't make out the manufacturer, and I like how he mounted it to the back wall. I have a 2019 Solitude 310GK.
                            This is what I have used Amazon.com: Kohree Battery Disconnect Switch, 12V-48V Battery Isolator Power Cut Off Master Switch Waterproof for RV, ATV, Car, Marine, Boat, AUTO, with 4 Mounting Bolts, 275 Amps, (On/Off) : Automotive

There are plenty of other options.

Thanks for joining this Forum and welcome. Please take a moment to read our welcome letter Welcome Letter to New Members - Grand Design Owners Forums (gdrvowners.com)

Brian
                            Brian & Michelle
                            2018 Reflection 29RS
                            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers Awesome perfect ordered it. I was going to mount it in the battery compartment on the back wall but do you know how I make sure I don’t screw into a wire or hose behind the wall?
                              Last edited by JB9321; 01-08-2022, 10:30 PM.
                              Jim Butchko

Comment

Working...
                              X