New Problem GFCI Outlets 2021 Transcend 260 RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Problem GFCI Outlets 2021 Transcend 260 RB

I thought I fixed the bad GFCI problem by replacing the outlet. Much to my dismay, it reappeared on our trip.

No problem! We'll just use the regular outlets. So, I turned off the circuit breaker labeled Conv which controlled the outlets.

After spending two days watching my battery level drop while on shore power and solar then blaming the fog and clouds where we were camping, I turned the breaker on realizing the Converter was on the same circuit.

Battery charged, no problem.

Made an appointment with the dealer to fix the issue and wrote GD customer service to see if the GFCI outlets can go on an empty breaker slot in the master breaker panel. Unless of course, the converter needs that GFCI protection.

John
    John & Jurie

Caretakers for Coco and Daisy

2016 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
    2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    ​​​​​​​2021 Transcend 260RB
    2017 Jayco 26BH
    2020 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2108 FBS

Originally posted by J & J Bumblebee View Post
    I thought I fixed the bad GFCI problem by replacing the outlet. Much to my dismay, it reappeared on our trip....Made an appointment with the dealer to fix the issue...
    Please post the resolution.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I will.
      John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Update:

I talked with Matt Simon at GD Customer service and explained the situation with the GFCI circuit and the converter being on the same circuit. He said it would be fine to separate them and would document the problem with my case number and also let our dealer know. I'm going to call the dealer and make sure they will do that since the trailer is still under warranty.

Hopefully, having them separate will make it easier to figure out what caused the GFCI to pop in the first place and the second time.

Everything is running fine without that GFCI outlet wired in. I have wired the original outlet back in and am only on solar power for the time being.

John
        John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

J & J Bumblebee John, Can you confirm what is plugged into the GFCI outlets? Also, have you checked the outside plugs to see if any of them have water in them? Just thought about the water in the plug on the outside as I know my camper has 1 plug on the slide that this COULD happen with.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Joseph,

When this all began the only things that were plugged into the GFCI outlets were the pancake compressor in the outside outlet, the television, and a USB adapter from Apple.
            I just checked and the outside outlet and the one inside the passthrough storage are dry.

There is nothing plugged into any of the outlets and I still have the orange light and the main GFCI outlet won't reset.

If it weren't under warranty I'd start checking each outlet after asking for a wiring diagram from GD and start with an outlet in the middle of the load line to see if it still persisted in the GFCI portion. Then work my way down the line to eliminate any loose wires in the remaining outlets.

With a standard outlet in place of the GFCI, everything works fine.

I think once the converter and GFCI outlets are on separate breakers this will get resolved.

John

​​​​​​​
            John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

My guess is you or the dealer will find something behind on of the outlets that is causing a differential load path, or nicked wiring that is grounding out.

Just for giggles, with the unit unplugged and all power off, try Ohming between the neutral and ground on the GFCI. If you get any type of connectivity that means somewhere the neutral and ground are joined. Likewise check hot to neutral with nothing plugged in and Hot to ground.

My reason for thinking water intrusion is it works with a standard outlet, but not a GFCI. GFCI are sensitive to differential amps passing through the hot and neutral lines.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                My guess is you or the dealer will find something behind on of the outlets that is causing a differential load path, or nicked wiring that is grounding out.

Just for giggles, with the unit unplugged and all power off, try Ohming between the neutral and ground on the GFCI. If you get any type of connectivity that means somewhere the neutral and ground are joined. Likewise check hot to neutral with nothing plugged in and Hot to ground.

My reason for thinking water intrusion is it works with a standard outlet, but not a GFCI. GFCI are sensitive to differential amps passing through the hot and neutral lines.

Joseph,

I checked the outlets with my Ohm meter with the power off and got nothing. So, I retrieved my little circuit tester then turned the power on, nothing. I hit the reset on the master GFCI outlet and the tester read two orange lights....Correct.

I unplugged it and read 118 v on the master outlet. Plugged the television back in and the power remained on.

I'm staying on solar until we go on our next trip one week from now. This is baffling, to say the least.

John
                Attached Files
                Last edited by J & J Bumblebee; 06-03-2021, 06:31 PM.
                John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Update: We got the trailer back from the dealer on Friday. They added a circuit breaker to separate the GFCI outlets from the converter. However, they were unable to replicate the problem with the outlets.

I've plugged into shore power and everything works fine. I think we need to go on a trip to see if we have any problems with loose wire connections which I can then troubleshoot on my own.

Thank you to GD for covering the cost of added the breaker. That will eliminate a possible source of trouble, I hope,

John
                  John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

I have a 2021 Transcend XPLOR 231RK that did the EXACT same thing on our last trip. Tried resetting the GFCI and nothing. It is quite aggravating seeing so many people with GFCI issues in their trailers on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Homerjoeyt View Post
                      I have a 2021 Transcend XPLOR 231RK that did the EXACT same thing on our last trip. Tried resetting the GFCI and nothing. It is quite aggravating seeing so many people with GFCI issues in their trailers on this forum.
                      You also may need to have the converter power separated from the GFCI circuit. Reading through this thread it shouldn't be hard to convince GD Customer Service (there's even a name you can quote in a post above). Make sure and have your VIN handy so you can get a case number. Shouldn't take a qualified technician long to accomplish this task.

Please report back if you pursue this to resolution.

Howard
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

We're heading to the coast this week to beat to 100+ degree temps, so hopefully, we'll see a difference.
                        John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

Returned from our little trip and the GFCI outlets are working properly. Separating the Converter from the outlets seems to have done the trick.
                          John & Jurie

2021 Imagine XLS 22 RBE

2017 Jayco 26BH

Comment

I realize that this post is several months old, took delivery 5 weeks ago. No issues with the circuits when I tested during the delivery walk-thru. I used the same circuit tester as posted in post #8 and tested all of the outlets. TT has been in storage since taking delivery. Now have it home and GFCI is tripped, connected to 20A house power. Turned off all 120V breakers, turned them on one at a time. The breaker with the converter is connected to the GFCI, and GFCI is tripped. Tested the non-GFCI outlets with the tester and get the two orange lights showing they are getting the proper hot and neutral connections.
                            Evidently Grand Design didn’t get the memo on this issue. I plan to call GD tomorrow to get some direction. I called the dealer, but they are short on service people and didn’t get a call back from their service manager as promised. I pulled the GFCI outlet (with 110V power on) and it has power coming in, but on the bottom side of the outlet. I’ll post a follow up after talking to GD. I am taking the 265BH on a work assignment in Texas (from Ohio). Leaving In 3 days…
                            Tim & Beth
                            2022 Transcend Xplor 265BH
                            2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ Max Tow Pkg

Comment

NerkGDguy You may have an issue with the circuit the unit is plugged into. Have you tried a different circuit? Is the camper 30 amp or 50 amp? If 50 amp, are you using a 50amp to 30amp adapter?
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X