Awning - not retracting - electrical panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning - not retracting - electrical panel

So yesterday the awning went out almost 100% and then stopped functioning in either direction. I looked at the fuse box; no red lights when operation was attempted. I checked the fuse, did not look blown, but swapped for another....not fixed. I played with it for a while...but could not get anything out of it and could not see any issues. If I removed the fuse, the red light did come on when attempting operation (would also expect this of a blown fuse).

The spot right below it was empty...so I moved the wire....it worked! Today we took it out....then when trying to retract....it failed half way through and would not extend or retract again. I again checked fuses and all the above....no love. I moved it...no love again. I moved it to a new spot and the former spot....checked all fuses....nothing.

It's stuck.

It has been raining the past 2 days...so I have not been on the roof to look at motor / wiring up there.

I am at a loss. Maybe a wire is exposed near the motor on the exterior? What else could it be?
    Last edited by bellis; 05-30-2021, 10:52 AM. Reason: Said slide not awning - fixed mistake - it was late!
    2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

One other place to try. Behind your convenience panel is a hidden inline fuse. Pop the trim off, remove the screws holding the panel in and gently pull it out. Check the fuse (7.5A) and the connections to the awning switch. if the fuse is OK the switch could be bad. Us a multi meter to check. If the switch is bad you can try jumping it between the center pin and the outside pin on either side to get the slide moving.

Hope this helps.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

bellis

The title says "Awning" but the body text references the "slide"? Which is it?

From clues in the post it appears to be the awning. If the fuse isn't blowing, to me that means there's a wire that's intermittently making contact (an "open") in the circuit. I'd start looking at the point where the awning wires enter the side of the camper.

Do you know the manual method for retracting the awning? (Which make and model is on your Imagine?)

RV ownership--always something.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
        bellis

The title says "Awning" but the body text references the "slide"? Which is it?

From clues in the post it appears to be the awning. If the fuse isn't blowing, to me that means there's a wire that's intermittently making contact (an "open") in the circuit. I'd start looking at the point where the awning wires enter the side of the camper.

Do you know the manual method for retracting the awning? (Which make and model is on your Imagine?)

RV ownership--always something.

Howard
        Whoops - it was late last night when I wrote that. It is the awning. I will edit the above post to remove confusion. 2020 Imagine 2400BH.

Unfortunately it has been kinda rainy this morning too...been trying to avoid getting on the roof in the rain (last thing I need to do is fall off...ouch).

howson Yoda thanks - I will try both suggestions (starting with the dryer first)...and post back the findings.
        2020 Imagine 2400BH
        2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Yoda The only place I see an inline fuse behind the convenience panel is for the exterior lights. I do not see one for the awning. As facing the front of the panel 4 wires: Blue/White - bottom right; white - middle right; white - top right; and blue/white left middle.

It appears the button for the awning and the slide is the same button? So, I noted the above and the info for the slide (below) and moved awning over to the slide button....still did not work. That may rule out a bad switch.

Slide - as facing the panel.
          Black/white - left middle
          White - right middle
          Red - bottom (only spot with a terminal - other is intentionally broken off?

Anyway....still raining....so have avoided the roof...have looked and the motor appears to be on the front/passenger side. I see a wire as well as a cover attached with a Philips head screw. May just have to retract manually if I don't find something when rain dies down. Father in law supposedly has a multimeter with him (I left mine at the house)...may borrow and see if I can figure anything else out.
          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Originally posted by bellis View Post
            Yoda The only place I see an inline fuse behind the convenience panel is for the exterior lights. I do not see one for the awning. As facing the front of the panel 4 wires: Blue/White - bottom right; white - middle right; white - top right; and blue/white left middle.

It appears the button for the awning and the slide is the same button? So, I noted the above and the info for the slide (below) and moved awning over to the slide button....still did not work. That may rule out a bad switch.

Slide - as facing the panel.
            Black/white - left middle
            White - right middle
            Red - bottom (only spot with a terminal - other is intentionally broken off?

Anyway....still raining....so have avoided the roof...have looked and the motor appears to be on the front/passenger side. I see a wire as well as a cover attached with a Philips head screw. May just have to retract manually if I don't find something when rain dies down. Father in law supposedly has a multimeter with him (I left mine at the house)...may borrow and see if I can figure anything else out.
            Was the fuse still good? On my unit it is tied to a bunch of stuff in the panel, including the awning, awning lights, and circuit board for tank indications etc.
            Just trying to help.

The one place to check for a short is where the wiring comes out of the trailer at the top of an awning arm. It may be covered by a plastic cover.

Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I found this for manual retract/extend. Drill + 7/16" attachment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TNePgV3k3I
              2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

I found this for manual retract/extend. Drill + 7/16" attachment.
                What make and model awning, Bellis? Different awning manufacturers have different methods.
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What make and model awning, Bellis? Different awning manufacturers have different methods.
                  Lippert Solera. Not sure of an exact model #...but it is the one in the video linked above I guess...the manual retract instructions worked.

So, I l manually extended tonight so we could use it....just finished manually retracting. I looked at the wires on the outside (under a flap) near the roof. They have crimps on them...not sure if they are water tight or not...but after messing with them...the awning seemed to work with the button.

I am going to take it home and possibly redo the connections on those wires. See if that corrects the issue.
                  2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Lippert Solera. Not sure of an exact model #...but it is the one in the video linked above I guess...the manual retract instructions worked.

So, I l manually extended tonight so we could use it....just finished manually retracting. I looked at the wires on the outside (under a flap) near the roof. They have crimps on them...not sure if they are water tight or not...but after messing with them...the awning seemed to work with the button.

I am going to take it home and possibly redo the connections on those wires. See if that corrects the issue.
                    No idea where the ground is attached from the awning, but once you follow all those wires you'll find the culprit somewhere. Sounds very similar to the light issue I had over the couch. Faulty splice--repaired it and no problems since. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-inop-easy-fix

The difficult part is finding the offending splice or connection. Intermittent problems are maddening.

Comment

Hey there, long time listener, first time caller. I have a 2021 GD Imagine 2400BH with what sounds like the same issue. Awning has always been kinda flaky, would get stuck half way at times opening or closing. I could always twist the roller with my hands and then then the awning would retract/extend. Now it's closed and it won't budge. I'll try the drill with the 7/16 socket and report back. I have the updated controller that appears to talk to the other controllers/boards wirelessly (compass connect). I have a service app in a month.

Comment

Moving the roller and it starting to work again sounds like a bad spot in the armature on the motor.

You may have luck taking the motor apart and polishing the armature with rubbing compound if it's black, HOWEVER, proceed at your own risk and high caution.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I never did anything further with it and it has worked without issue ever since. /shrug
                          2020 Imagine 2400BH

Our Mods

Comment

Working...
                          X